86 replies to this topic

#21 power-ranger

power-ranger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Saw this in bristol at the weekend......

Faye Brookes - sings the role better than Sheridan and Susan but doesn't manage to get the comedy out of the part. The audience laughed at the lines in the script where it would be hard not to get a laugh - nowhere else.

The Delta Nu girls were great and really gave it some - better than the Savoy.

Liz McLarnon grew on me - weak in the first act, poor Ireland reprise - thank God they got Natalie Casey in London - the only decent Paulette so far - but Liz's Bend and Snap was solid - she wasn't bad.

Wasn't expecting to say this, but Dave Willetts was good as Callahan. Better than Peter Davidson. Very solid, nothing flashy, but fit th role very well.

Neil Toon looks way too young and not really handsome enough to play Warner. Looked younger than Elle and Vivienne.

Brooke was great, Serena and Pilar were great, Vivienne was excellent!

The main thing that lets the tour down is the fact that it looks like it's had 500 spent on it!!! Where are the sets?? Bristol Hippodrome is a bigger stage than the Savoy and there was literally nothing onstage. It looked cheap and shoddy. The cast are clearly working really hard to do a good job and are let down by the fact that there's hardly anything been spent on production values - shame when all the stalls were 48.50 and 3/4 of the dress circle were too. I think the producers must be making a mint!

#22 Mallow

Mallow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Has anyone been to the tour lately, how are the cast settling into their roles? I'm booked up for Glasgow on the 24th of August :)

#23 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've seen the tour twice in Bristol... my opinions:

Faye Brookes - decent solid Elle, but nothing special. Her singing voice was very nice, probably better than any of the London 'Elles' I've seen, but she plays it safe and I found her Elle boring. She's very talented though, just needs to have a bit more fun with the role!

The girl playing Brooke was FANTASTIC - amazing singer and very believable/likable/funny as Brooke. Hope she gets to play Brooke in London at some point.

The Delta Nu girls were great! The girl playing Serena especially stood out for me, really enjoyed her portrayal of the character. The girl playing 'Margot' is quite short compared to Serena and Pilar though so that took a while to get used to - but overall they were all brilliant! :)

Neil Toon (Warner) - is too young for the role (in my opinion) and just didn't look right. He's good looking, but not good looking enough / doesn't have that 'model' look to be playing Warner, so it was a bit hard to believe he was this 'omg-so-hot popular guy' everyone wants to be with. Him looking so young also automatically gives him this innocent look which again is not really a Warner character trait. That's just talking about his looks though, but he was a good actor and sang the songs really well. I just thought he didn't really suit the role.

(Emmett) - His voice is amazing!! He's on par with Alex Gaumond singing wise (perhaps even a bit better?) but I found his Emmett to be a little annoying. He plays him quite angry and more confident than any other Emmett I've seen so it's harder for the audience to instantly like him. He just seemed like a very dominant Emmett (not the shy slightly awkward Emmett that I'm used to) and as a result of that I found it hard to warm to him. I guess that's just his interpretation of the role though, and I admire him for trying new things with the character but I thought some of his acting choices didn't really work. Apart from that though, he was great and I can see him getting better as the tour continues too - a very talented guy!

(Enid) - meh, she was probably the weakest in the cast... Didn't think much of her.

Charlotte Harwood (Vivienna) - WOW! She was fantastic! She plays her more bitchy than any of the Viviennes I've seen but it really works and on top of that she also has an incredible voice. She was always in character and some of her facial expressions are brilliant! The strongest in the cast, I'd say and by far my favourite Vivienne (I've seen Caroline Keiff, Suzie, and Siobhan in London).

Dave Willets (Callahan) - very good. Probably a bit better than Peter Davison, I really enjoyed his performance.

Liz McClarnon (Paulette) - she's the main reason I wanted to see the tour as I'm a fan of her. The first time I saw the tour, her understudy (Rhona McGregor) was on who I thought was amazing and I would love to see her again at some point. Saw Liz the second time I saw the tour though and although on the day I saw it, I found Liz's vocals to be a little weak at parts, her characterisation is spot on! She's a very clumsy awkward Paulette and the audience really warmed to her straight away. Her acting was very natural and not over the top (like Natalie Casey's...) and got the laughs at the right parts. Again, I'm sure she'll settle into the role more as the tour continues, but for someone who hasn't done much acting before, I thought she delivered a great performance.

The guy playing (Kyle/Dewy/etc) was also very good! :)

Overall, I think the tour cast is just as strong as the West End cast and defo worth seeing if you get the chance. I agree about the sets though, there was quite a lot of scenery/sets missing (which I found a bit weird) but the cast gave it their all and got a standing ovation on both occasions I saw the tour.

WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#24 kevinyork

kevinyork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postrichard2711, on 11 July 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

Claire Sweeney? Hmm. Please let her be better than in Tell Me On A Sunday .
I have to agree. I thought she was awful in that.  A poor voice and weak acting.  I cant see her inhabiting this role at all.

#25 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

I think the prices for the tour are really high. I'm not sure I'm going to see it when it comes by me. I think I've seen it 4 times with the best cast it had, so not bothered. Feel the same about the Sister Act tour too. Am I being too narrow minded? Is it worth it?

#26 jmkg

jmkg

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Saw this twice in York. Mostly I'd just echo the previous comments, the sets and the orchestra are a lot smaller than in the West End, but the show is still as good and the cast are generally fantastic. I like how it's not just a total carbon copy of the London show (I think... haven't seen it for 6 months!), a couple of jokes/lines are played differently, such as how exactly Emmett interrogates Nikos.

Standout cast members for me
were Charlotte Harwood (Vivienne) and Dave Willetts (Callaghan) - outstanding voices and acting. I don't quite agree that Gemma Baird was weak. She doesn't have the same incredible voice as the London cast's Enid, but it didn't seem to me she was playing the role "quite and shy" but more "sarcastic intellectual". Which I'd say is a valid character interpretation too. Maybe this is something they've worked on since the previous stop(s)? And she was pretty good as Vivienne.

It's interesting that one of the swings is first Elle cover. Since they only have two female swings, it must be tricky to cover all the roles. I wonder how often touring cast members are entitled to a day off?

#27 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

View Postjmkg, on 21 August 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

It's interesting that one of the swings is first Elle cover. Since they only have two female swings, it must be tricky to cover all the roles. I wonder how often touring cast members are entitled to a day off?

Thing is, they generally only have to worry about illness rather than holidays as the entire company get a week off every few months. Generally you find most tours have got less swings than their West End counterparts because the need is simply not there.

That said - LB in London are pretty stretched with 2m and 3f swings so this might be taking it a touch far!

#28 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

Lee Mead will be joing the tour, at least for the Belfast leg of the tour...news from Belfast's Grand Opera House's Facebook Page
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#29 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

I saw this in Edinburgh yesterday afternoon and loved it. For me it's just as good as in London, and the fact the sets are different and the stairs and trapdoors aren't there didn't bother me. I thought all the cast were brilliant especially Hannah as Brooke, Faye as Elle and Liz as Paulette. We had Michael Vinsen, who normally plays Aaron, on as Emmett and he was fab, I'm glad I got the chance to see him. :rolleyes:  He looks very like Neil who plays Warner though, and when he first came on I thought he was Warner rather than Emmett!! I'm hoping to see the tour again somewhere, as I love the show and the tour is sometimes easier to get to than London, so I'll hopefully also be able to see Iwan as Emmett.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#30 fichrist

fichrist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Niki Evans ( X Factor and Blood Brothers ) will be joining the Tour in Jan 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users