hopefully i'll get chance to see her :P x

#63 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

This show was fantastic managed to catch both the matinee and the evening show yesterday (Belfast)...probably the first touring show that has surpassed or at least matched the West End version.
Faye Brookes' as Elle was just amazing, her Legally Blonde Remix was probably one of the highlights...she is the only Elle I have noticed to actually look as if she is examining the navy outfit and questioning her next move whilst Vivienne is singing, before coming out in that little pink number. While from previous experience from seeing the show and various videos just show different Elle's standing there grinning into space, before just declaring 'I'm never wearing that again.' Just examining the navy outfit and having a 'thinking' expression on her face, has made Faye my new favourite Elle.
Stephen Ashfield as Emmett...wow, just wow.
Niki Evans as Paulette...good, but slipped up a few times on the accent, she was on for the matinee, but had her understudy for the evening show who was quite impressive, especially as she hit the high note in 'Ireland'
Had Sophie Issacs as Serena, and 1st cover Margot for the matinee, but it was back to normal cast for the evening show...when it came to the Greek Chorus, I definately preferred the normal cast, Sophie seemed to be a bit too high-pitched for Serena.
Les Dennis...not much I can say, he acted well, but singing was just ok.
Ray Quinn has definately improved since his days in Grease, he was able to hold up the accent whilst singing, and he even manage to prevent his normal nasaly voice from emerging while he was singing...was really impressed.
The dogs were just adorable.
And wow...Lewis Griffiths! I'm not that way inclined, but I seriously would not kick him out of bed...boycrush.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#64 souchyboyy

souchyboyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Saw the opening night in Oxford on Tues - Gareth's first night. Thought I'd share my views.

Right, so other than no lift, and no Delta Nu house, there are no differences at all. It is as it was in London, and I'd argue as good.

Faye - best Elle I've seen or heard. Vocally, she is OUTSTANDING. She is absolutely perfect in the role, and had the right sense of vulnerability and confidence Elle needs. Carley Stenson take note.
Iwan - again, vocally brilliant. Thought he was very very good too
Andy Mace - odd seeing him as Callahan, having only seen Peter before and usually seeing Andy in nice parts(Dr Dillamond). Still, he can sing really well, not a huge need for Callahan but doesnt matter, still a massive bastard who deserves that slap! :P
Rhona McGregor - understudy for Jennifer Ellison as Paulette. I  adored her, mainly because she belted the octave at the end of Ireland Reprise. It just sounded stunning and i actually stood at the end of the song for her. Just ACE.
Gareth Gates: Meh. First night as Warner so he'll get better. Its not a big part, Serious was alright and proved he can sing i guess. Nothing really special to be honest.
Tracy Penn: WHAT A VIVIENNE. Talk about belting. LB Remix was fabulous. So bitchy until then, and her final note was totally in chest voice, belted like there was no tomorrow. FAB.
Hannah Grover: Didn't really like her as Brooke, still good, but her voice isnt massively  strong.
Margot Serena Pilar werent anything special, good for what they needed to be really.
Lewis: What a UPS guy. Seriously, what a looker! so so so good, biggest cheer of the night by far.
And as everyone comments i will too: Gemma is pretty pathetic as Enid. Not strong at all.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic night out in the theatre. Been over two years since I last saw it but worth the wait. Go and see this tour. SO SO SO worth it.

#65 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Carley Stenson take note????  Well that is nasty, and you are an authority I pressume.  I saw Carley and thought she was a lovely Elle.  Why don't you tweet that to her rather than saying it blindly on here.  Anyone can say who they prefer but the way you said it not nice.  And if you had not seen it in two years did you even see Carley's Elle?  You are a nasty person.

#66 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

Carley was great as Elle, there are loads more differences between the tour and the London show and Faye is good and if you think she's the best Elle ever then you are entitled to your opinion but I'd go see Carley as Elle again before I'd go to see Faye again!

#67 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Might have difficulty seeing Carley again, though I get the symbolism.

Personally, Carley's Elle was not to my taste - and I've not seen Faye to be able to compare.

#68 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I dont think Souchyboyys post was that harsh to be honest, infact he praises a lot. Maybe as Carley fans youre being a bit sensitive? Everyone likes different things afterall. I cant say I agree with him personally, id say if anyone should 'take note' it would be Sheridan Smith who great as she was, played Elle too much for laughs and goofy and never got the California Valley girl at all. Faye gets the balance just right.  But as I say im sure there are loads that would disagree on that.

#69 souchyboyy

souchyboyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. No i didn't see Carley, and i know recordings don't tend to do people justice, but none of the ones i herd were any good. But i think she's fabulous as Fiona, so its not that I don't like CARLEY. I just didn't think she was suited to Elle :)

#70 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

How can you make judgement on Carley's Elle if you've never seen her perform? Recordings are not the same. You don't see her little facial expressions, mannerisms, little comedy moments or any of her acting. That's what I loved about her Elle. She wasn't the best Elle vocally, compared to say Susan McFadden but I liked how she acted the role and I found she improved a lot towards the end of her run compared to the beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users