86 replies to this topic

#71 ensemblemillie

ensemblemillie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Don't knock it till you've tried it is the phrase that springs to mind! Having seen both play the role, I preferred Carley's interpretation to Faye's, although Faye was very good in the role -  but zippy's right, you can't really comment judging on an audio of Carley compared to a live performance!!!

I saw the tour last week as well, and have to say the show is good, but not a patch on the London production. I was disappointed that what was already a 'very tour - able' show in london, had undergone quite a few little budget cuts here and there, but i suppose that is what we have to settle with in the current climate tho!

#72 souchyboyy

souchyboyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Yep, I agree my opinion probably isn't totally accurate. But thats all i was voicing: an opinion. As I had already said it's not that I don't like Carley, I just didn't think that she sounds particularly strong as Elle.
Still, i thought the tour was excellent, and definately worth seeing if you can get to it!

#73 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I only saw Carley as elle, but it was vocally quite impressive i thought (admittedly it was closing night so she may have been giving it a bit more than usual). Although from what i can tell from recordings and videos it was more similar to Laura Bell Bundy's Elle rather than Sheridan's so i was wondering if that has caused people to be not so keen on her over here!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#74 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

View Postsouchyboyy, on 25 July 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Yep, I agree my opinion probably isn't totally accurate. But thats all i was voicing: an opinion. As I had already said it's not that I don't like Carley, I just didn't think that she sounds particularly strong as Elle.
Still, i thought the tour was excellent, and definately worth seeing if you can get to it!

You were voicing your opinion and that is what forums do, but your opinion/criticism was based on not seeing the show but still using the words, "take note",  as if you were her director. Not very good form there.

#75 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostMS1995, on 25 July 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

I only saw Carley as elle, but it was vocally quite impressive i thought (admittedly it was closing night so she may have been giving it a bit more than usual). Although from what i can tell from recordings and videos it was more similar to Laura Bell Bundy's Elle rather than Sheridan's so i was wondering if that has caused people to be not so keen on her over here!

Carley was very strong vocally when I saw her a couple of times  in the last few months as Elle. She seems to have carried that into Shrek. The odd thing about Legally was that  they rarely did find a song that worked well out of context or soundwise on TV or at Westendlive  - starting from the shows first outing on Children In Need -  although they did get ir right for the Oliviers. You can't judge from those performances or a lot of the yourubes. Live was something very different.

#76 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

I saw the matinee in York yesterday, and it was a show of four parts! Just after Bruiser came on to 'say' Elle was in the dress shop, the curtain came down and the stage manager said they had to fix a problem with the lighting! There were no noticable lighting problems in the first scene. The delay went on a while, the manager came on again to keep us updated, and then it restarted with Elle's appearance about 3pm (was due to start at 2.30pm but I think it started a good five minutes late in the first place).

All went smoothly until the party with Elle in the bunny costume, there were a few crackling sounds, then the curtain came down again at the end of that scene and the stage manager said this time they were having sound problems! A lot of the audience took this as a cue to leave and get sweets and drinks (this was probably around the time the interval should have been at if there weren't already delays) probably thinking the delay would have been as long as the first one. But it was all sorted within a couple of minutes and the show retstared again from 'Chip on My Shoulder' but it was ruined by everyone who had left getting back to their seats!! :angry:  A person getting into the row behind me even managed to bash me on the head with something - she did apologise, but all this was whilst I was trying to watch the show!! One for the Badly Behaved Audiences thread, I think.

Everything ran from then as it should, and the interval, when it arrived, was the usual length and no show stops in Act 2. I think this is the first time I've been watching a show that has stopped - I've been to a few that have started late for various reasons.

Anyway - onto the show. I liked Gareth as Warner, and we had Andy Rees on as Emmett - he was really good, he was promoted to first cover when Michael left. I really liked Andy Mace as Callaghan, he was very scary by playing him calm and assertive. I also liked Jennifer Ellison as Paulette, I wasn't sure if I would.

There was some set missing with the theatre being so small - Elle didn't have her bed in her room at Harvard, Bruiser's bag was just resting on a stand on the stage - and Dewey's house wasn't on stage, Elle and Paulette had to call him and he came on from the wings.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#77 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

I saw this in Leicester a few months ago and I was pleasantly surprised!
I wasn't expecting much, I'd seen the film and didn't think it would make much of a musical. But I was proven wrong!
It was warm, funny and the songs - although mostly fluff - were catchy and fun!
The cast were all great (apart from Les Dennis, but the less said about him, the better), and I was particularly impressed with Iwan Lewis.
I'd deffinately go and see Legally Blonde again, I'm just dissapointed that I missed out on it's West End run.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#78 GasAttacK

GasAttacK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

I've seen Legally Blonde 25 times - a little fanatical I know - with 5 different Elles, 4 times with Sheridan Smith, 4 times with Susan McFadden, 2 times with Carley Stenson, 14 times with Faye Brookes and once with Sophie Issacs, who stood in for Faye in Birmingham.

I was lucky enough to see the final show performed by all of the above leading ladies, most recently on October 6th when the current tour came to an end.

They were all great but special mention has to go to Faye Brookes who lifts Legally Blonde from being a great show to a modern day masterpiece. There is no doubt that this young actress is a star, and it is almost guaranteed that she has a very fruitful West End, if not Broadway, career ahead of her.

http://fayebrookesfans.blogspot.co.uk/

#79 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

A modern day masterpiece? Are you high?

#80 GasAttacK

GasAttacK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Haha no, unfortunately not. I thought that comment might get a response. I appreciate many wont agree and I don't claim to be an expert on musicals but of the 14 I've seen over the past 3 or 4 years LB stands head and shoulders above the rest. However, that's just my opinion and owes a lot to the sensational Faye Brookes who for me at least was the perfect Elle.

Other favourites would be Wicked, Jersey Boys and Les Mis but I don't think you can beat LB for a good night out.

If you enjoyed the tour check out pics, videos and reviews at Faye Brookes Blog

http://fayebrookesfans.blogspot.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users