#1 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:40 PM

I was in the live audience last Saturday, and it was a completely different experience to watching it on TV.

Obviously it was just really good to finally see them all live, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of judging people for a live role from TV.

Niamh is absolutely mesmerising to watch live. She just seems to glow with something. And her voice sounds beautiful when she's singing something she's comfortable with - her solo performance wasn't great. It was time for her to go, but I'm interested to see what she's like in a few years. We were right next to where the Nancys sit, and I watched her sitting on her own for a while - she really did look incredibly young, kind of like a little girl lost amid all the bright lights and noise. I am in awe of how brave she was to get so far, I'm older than her and wouldn't have the nerve to do it!!

Sam, for me, was a disaster. I was desperate to like her, thinking I'd finally, after seeing her live, understand why she keeps getting fantastic comments. I just didn't. It was just loud. Her voice is absolutely colourless. All the other girls, when I think about their songs, I can hear their voices in my head. They have personality. Sam has an utterly bland voice. All I can say for it is that it's powerful. She stomped around the stage, grinned at inappropriate moments (oh god I am sick of her dimples) and yelled a few notes. And people loved her. I just. Don't. Get it. I mean, yeah, it's impressive for a 17 year old to have such a powerful voice and such high confidence. But nothing else about her impressed me.

I  have gone from hating Jodie at the beginning to liking her quite a lot. I'm glad they've mostly got rid of all her overacting and OTT bad-cabaret singing. I don't think her song was a good choice, but she impressed me on the whole, and I didn't mind the dancing. She had enough stage presence and her voice is so distinctive that I still enjoyed her performance. It's a shame that she has been written off by ALW because she's too much of a stereotypical Nancy.

I was very excited to see Jessie. Like everyone else in the world, I loved her The Man that Got Away, and hated her performance last week. But she really disappointed me. I actually found her so dull on stage that I forgot for a few moments that there was a performance happening in front of me. I had to force my eyes back on to her. Negligible stage presence, decent voice but....no sight of the star quality that ALW has talked about. I don't really know what to say about her.

Rachel was the best live performer of all of them. Not the best song to choose, but she was the only one who brought me into the song with both singing and acting. It's weird how differently things come across live than on TV but she is probably the only one of the last four I'd pay to see performing live - I'd need to be more confident about Jodie's acting, and Jessie and Sam....I won't comment.

It's a shame that Rachel probably won't win because of ALW's obsession with youth. I am dreading hearing Sam yell out 'As Long as He Needs Me' in triumph on the final night.

About the Olivers......it's interesting that I had completely different favourites on TV than live. Live, they all blended into one mass of little kids and I could only pick one out as having anything interesting about him...and that was Harry. I'd liked him from TV anyway, but live he was the only one whose voice and presence caught my attention. I'm sure others would be good Olivers too, but he definitely stood out from the group.

Has anyone else been in the live audience? If so, what did yoooou think? Was anyone lucky enough to see Jessie do The Man That Got Away?
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#2 Guest_Matt_*

Guest_Matt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:14 AM

How did you get tickets? Are there any still available for the remaining shows? I'd love to be in the audience.

#3 Guest_smudge_*

Guest_smudge_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Having read Josh's great review of being in the live audience on Saturday I am now certain I want to see Jodie and Harry when I go see the show. (have already booked). I hope Rachel gets to do some performances and I hope they get a couple of better Olivers from somewhere as, if none of the other 7 stand out live in a studio, how will they do in 2,000 seat Drury Lane?

I also think Jodie will be fab at schmoozing with the inevitable autograph hunters at the Stage Door. I can't really see Rachel enjoying all that and wouldn't wish it on her or any of the others. It's a big part of the job. I'm sure RA will not be hanging around to greet the public and somebody has to do it. Jodie will be fab. Connie happily signed autographs for ages after SOM (with fantastic good grace) and I dread to think how long it takes Lee to get away in the evening.

#4 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(smudge @ May 20 2008, 10:28 AM) View Post
I also think Jodie will be fab at schmoozing with the inevitable autograph hunters at the Stage Door. I can't really see Rachel enjoying all that and wouldn't wish it on her or any of the others.

Don't be so sure - I talked to Rachel for a while and she was lovely. I can't imagine her being anything but gracious in a manic stage door situation. But yes Jodie is the most obviously outgoing!

#5 Guest_smudge_*

Guest_smudge_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(josh @ May 20 2008, 09:58 AM) View Post
I talked to Rachel for a while and she was lovely. I can't imagine her being anything but gracious in a manic stage door situation.

I'm sure that's the case. I just think Jodie would relish that side of it a bit more. I also think Jodie is more popular with the public (that's apparent from the voting). Let's face it, Rachel can't win the competition now and I would rather see Jodie win than Jessie or Sam so I am backing Jodie.

#6 Guest_smudge_*

Guest_smudge_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:35 AM

I would also LOVE to see ALW not get his way which I think is reason enough for Jodie to win. I thought his 'Meatloaf' comment. and when he told Ashley to get on the bus, or whatever it was, was unforgiveably rude. He is not Simon Cowell and he can't get away with pithy soundbites - he just bungles them and looks like a twerp and a very ungracious one at that.

#7 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(smudge @ May 20 2008, 11:26 AM) View Post
Let's face it, Rachel can't win the competition now and I would rather see Jodie win than Jessie or Sam so I am backing Jodie.

Oh yes I agree with you - it's a shame, but Jodie would be better than either of the Woodentops.

#8 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(josh @ May 20 2008, 10:46 AM) View Post
Oh yes I agree with you - it's a shame, but Jodie would be better than either of the Woodentops.

I agree with you all. I was surprised to read what Jessie and Sam are like live after hearing the comments by ALW on TV. On a different note I was more interested in this Competition than the other two shown because when I was 9 I was actually in Oliver {In Germany}. I played Oliver, probably the only girl who has ever done so, although I must admit I was a tomboy and looked just like a boy.

I have on the whole been disappointed with this Series. I have been surprised about the comments made too. ALW has resorted to out write rudeness and Barry Humphreys has been  mostly totally useless. Also I am continually amazed by  the oft repeated comment that if you can't act, dance or move O.K. now, 6 months training will fix it. Believe me it wont! There will be improvement but ready for the West End--no!

#9 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Jennell @ May 20 2008, 10:26 PM) View Post
Also I am continually amazed by  the oft repeated comment that if you can't act, dance or move O.K. now, 6 months training will fix it. Believe me it wont! There will be improvement but ready for the West End--no!

Even if there was a chance that six months training might be enough, I don't understand why anybody would support someone in the hope that they might be brought up to a reasonable standard when there are (or were) other contestants who had already achieved that standard. It makes no more sense than trying to choose between two identically-priced cars and opting to buy a rust bucket rather than one in immaculate condition on the grounds that it can be repaired.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#10 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

You know at the risk of sounding like a real cynic & despite not liking Jodie anyway,the bottom line is she really is just  not attactive enough......I wish it were just  on talent  but if you are pretty & talented you will always have an edge.particularly in shows like this. As for the dealing with the public I honestly find all the gushing ' oh thank you , thank you' every week when she goes through cringeworthy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users