- - - - -

Rachael

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jan donaldson_*

Guest_jan donaldson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

First of all I should say that I am not particularly impressed with any of the competitors.  However, given a choice I would opt for Rachael.  However, I think she is unlikely to win.  Having giving the last two leading roles to experienced professionals I believe Andrew and his gang feel that this time it should go to an outsider.   The fact that Rachael was the bookie's favourite has not helped her standing with the British public.    I think the only other contender who looks as if they have the stamina to cope with 8 shows a week is Jodie.  My only problem with her is that I would find it hard to believe that she could be beaten up by Bill Sykes.  

I appreciate that the BBC wardrobe department are having to run up several costumes a week for the competitors.  It is a pity that in some instances they appear to have resorted to using old curtain material.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

You have a point most definitely.

#3 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

Rachel does not seem to display the empathy or warmth that I would like to see in a Nancy - she is solid and reliable and would deliver a performance - but it is not one that would attract me.

Jodie has a vulnerability as well as her brassy side - I can believe that she would be attacked by Bill but she would stand up to him and not just kowtow - that fits my view of Nancy.  If she was really that weak, she would never have lasted so long - there has to be an inner strength somewhere

#4 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

My only problem with her is that I would find it hard to believe that she could be beaten up by Bill Sykes.

exactly she'd be more likely to wallop him.I jsut can't see her as Nancy she is soooooooo caberet/cruise ship

#5 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(maymay @ May 20 2008, 03:23 PM) View Post
I jsut can't see her as Nancy she is soooooooo caberet/cruise ship

Yes, yes and thrice yes.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

Jodie is talented but she needs some training to get rid of the cruise ship attitude, work on her dance, generally tone down - and she is not right for Nancy. Not how either Dickens or Lionel Bart saw her anyway.

#7 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 20 2008, 02:43 PM) View Post
Rachel does not seem to display the empathy or warmth that I would like to see in a Nancy - she is solid and reliable and would deliver a performance - but it is not one that would attract me.

Can you think of a song she's been given that would be good for her to show Nancyful warmth? Hmm...
Oh What a Night?!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#8 Guest_Jacqui_*

Guest_Jacqui_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

I wouldn't mind to see Jodie as Nancy.  I think she can do a great job.  Sam and Rachel can also do it quite nicely.  

I haven't book yet just in case Jesse wins, who's the only one I wouldn't pay to see.  Her cockney accent still gives me nighmares.

#9 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 20 2008, 03:50 PM) View Post
Jodie is talented but she needs some training to get rid of the cruise ship attitude, work on her dance, generally tone down - and she is not right for Nancy. Not how either Dickens or Lionel Bart saw her anyway.

Thanks, that is exactly what I have been meaning to say about Jodie all along!!  I really don't understand what people see in her, she is a lovely, warm and caring person most definitely and has a good heart but I really think she has a long way to go before she can be considered appropriate for the west end stage.  I'm no expect of course but I just think she doesn't have the discipline, the professionalism or the composure required.  She is the only one that would put me off going to see the show.

#10 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(josh @ May 20 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post
Can you think of a song she's been given that would be good for her to show Nancyful warmth? Hmm...
Oh What a Night?!

I agree.  Rachel has not been given the appropriate songs to show what the judges are asking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users