- - - - -

Rachael

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Agog_*

Guest_Agog_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

Also you have to remember that Rachel is the only one who CAN act, as is proven every week in the results show! Funny how this is only mentioned in the results show when all the votes are already in!!! Very cleaver of the BBC!

The role of Nancy requires more acting thean sining and non of the other contestants have been consistant with this except Rachel, she has the depth to carry off ever emotion that Nancy has, did you see Jodie in the fight scene!!!! I rest my case!

Rachel to Win, Otherwise the westend will go down in my estimations!

#12 Guest_Agog_*

Guest_Agog_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

SORRY ABOUT AWFUL SPELLING ABOVE!!!! RUSHING IT AS AT WORK!!!!

SORRY!!!

#13 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

Totally agree, though she may have some of the flaws that the panel are listing (though not to the unfair extent they seem to say).

I recall when ALW said, "I wanted you to connect with the words...you didn't Rachel", I just sort of thought "what?" I thought she understood the song very well and portrayed it to the audience.

DVO says there is "nothing behind the eyes", so how come they haven't rectified this like they did with Samantha? Maybe we'll see this in the semi-final. I would be gutted if Rachel didn't get through into the final. I don't know who I want to go, but I want Rachel to have a good shot at winning, if only so that a pro could be a possible winner, reliable and fulfils all of the expectations.

ohmy.gif take that people who think I'm in love with Sam! tongue.gif

I'm not saying the other girls are terrible, I just think Rachel deserves and has worked the hardest for the role, and could step into it very easily, whereas the others may need an amount of work (even if there is like...6 months til it's on or something...)
"I Can Do Better Than That"

#14 Guest_Guest_Hannah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Hannah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

I really, really want Rachel to win the competition because I think she's a fantastic actor, sings well and has a unusual quality to her voice which makes it memorable, could easily do 8 shows a week and is ready for the role.  

Is it just me though that thinks ALW telling her he wants to see the real Rachel is a pile of twaddle?  I realise as this is a reality show, the contestants' personalities have to be liked, and so on.  However, I think too much emphasis is given to how similar the contestants personally are to the character of Nancy, how maternal/strong/feisty etc. they are, rather than how well they can act that they are.  I don't care all if one of the Nancies doesn't show warmth/is fragile and so on as long as when they're in the character they can convince me and the rest of the highly critical paying audience that they are.

I'm backing Rachel as she's the best actor by a very, very long way.  Or, at least, as far as I can tell.  Sam and Jessie seem to be about as good at acting as I am (and I'm pretty rubbish, bordering on abysmal), Jodie quite good. To me that's the most important thing.

Unfortunately though I think it'll all come to nothing.  But I still believe.

#15 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Agog @ May 20 2008, 06:44 PM) View Post
Also you have to remember that Rachel is the only one who CAN act, as is proven every week in the results show! Funny how this is only mentioned in the results show when all the votes are already in!!! Very cleaver of the BBC!

The role of Nancy requires more acting thean sining and non of the other contestants have been consistant with this except Rachel, she has the depth to carry off ever emotion that Nancy has, did you see Jodie in the fight scene!!!! I rest my case!

Rachel to Win, Otherwise the westend will go down in my estimations!

AGREED!!  I am absolutely certain that Rachel is the only one that can play this role 8 times a week.  We need to keep the westend up where it belongs by voting for someone who is professional, confident, strong, composed and a real all round talent.  I do however slightly agree that Rachel needs to connect more with the female voters if only to get the votes that she needs.  I want to go and see someone who has all of the above qualities along with warmth.  I am sure that Rachel is a very warm and genuine person but her ambition is taking over slightly - which is understandable!

#16 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 20 2008, 04:56 PM) View Post
I agree. Rachel has not been given the appropriate songs to show what the judges are asking for.

Why single out Rachel as 'not being given appropriate songs'??? This is the case with all the performers! Sam, for example, is being set up and sold as a little sex-kitten, which would be fine if this was the X-Factor, but what relevance have any of her performances had on her ability to play Nancy?

#17 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

It might be the case that Rachel has failed to flourish with the voters because they had higher expectations from someone with her background.

To have been through all that training and having played a leading role on tour and to still have issues with pitching and an over-keen acting style will count against her more than the same faults would in a contender without that background.

This may not be fair - but I can see how people might react in this way.

She is favourite to leave this week...

#18 Guest_Jeanne_*

Guest_Jeanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

I agree that both Rachel and Sam have been given the same type of song week in week out.  Rachel would be my favourite as she is the most natural on stage and has the stamina and stage craft, but I have not yet seen her do a lighthearted song.  At this stage I cannot see Rachel as Nancy because she has always sung songs full of violent emotion, and Oliver should be a fun musical to watch.  

Please please please make Rachel sing something fun, cheerful and warm so we can all make an informed decsion!

By the way, I don't understand all this about her 'not connecting with the audience' when she sings.  I don't buy that.  then again, maybe it's because all her songs are introspective - again, easier to connect if she has an engaging song to sing!

#19 Guest_Guest_James_*_*

Guest_Guest_James_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 20 2008, 03:55 PM) View Post
Thanks, that is exactly what I have been meaning to say about Jodie all along!!  I really don't understand what people see in her, she is a lovely, warm and caring person most definitely and has a good heart but I really think she has a long way to go before she can be considered appropriate for the west end stage.  I'm no expect of course but I just think she doesn't have the discipline, the professionalism or the composure required.  She is the only one that would put me off going to see the show.

Nancy is a fairly serious acting role and Jodie just does not fit the bill in any shape or form. She has a nice bubbly is not ott personailty which she has trouble keping in check she also has similar movement issues to Jess but not as bad. She is really weak on the acting in the stunt scene & the Fagin scene she was pretty bad.

#20 Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Guest_Hannah_* @ May 20 2008, 06:45 PM) View Post
I really, really want Rachel to win the competition because I think she's a fantastic actor, sings well and has a unusual quality to her voice which makes it memorable, could easily do 8 shows a week and is ready for the role.  

Is it just me though that thinks ALW telling her he wants to see the real Rachel is a pile of twaddle?  I realise as this is a reality show, the contestants' personalities have to be liked, and so on.  However, I think too much emphasis is given to how similar the contestants personally are to the character of Nancy, how maternal/strong/feisty etc. they are, rather than how well they can act that they are.  I don't care all if one of the Nancies doesn't show warmth/is fragile and so on as long as when they're in the character they can convince me and the rest of the highly critical paying audience that they are.

I'm backing Rachel as she's the best actor by a very, very long way.  Or, at least, as far as I can tell.  Sam and Jessie seem to be about as good at acting as I am (and I'm pretty rubbish, bordering on abysmal), Jodie quite good. To me that's the most important thing.

Unfortunately though I think it'll all come to nothing.  But I still believe.

Rachel is the best actor by far and if you can act you can get into the roll. None of the others can act in my view. I would disagee with you on Jodie her acting is dire. Did you see her in the stunt scene and the Fagin scene poor acting complete with a Northern accent

I have managed to find a few shows she has been in. I had not realised she had been in a show with Lee Mead

The Full Monty as Estelle - UK Tour 2004 (cast by David Grindrod),
Tommy as Sally - UK tour 2005 (alongside Lee Mead),
Tonight's the Night as Mary - UK Tour 2006 (alongside Francesca)
The Wizard of Oz as Dorothy - Lyric Theatre, Belfast. 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users