- - - - -

Sam

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Final 4 with I think the best 4 left standing.

With Sam; looking the likely winner.

I picked Rachel, Jessie and Sam from week one never getting Jodie!

Rachel is good very good but lacks that indefinable star quality (you either have it or you don’t) Jessie a wonderful singer but its groundhog day each Saturday. Jodie is quite simply painful to watch (and to listen too completely ruining last weeks anthem) whilst Sam improves each week the only one that has challenged herself week by week vocally and in the choreography.

Sam to win and the haters can go find another target!

#2 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

It is not a question of hating anyone, it is a question of seeing who is best for the role of Nancy as written in the score and in the script of Lionel Bart's show.

Nothing in the above post makes reference to Sam's suitability for the role.  Indeed we have been shown nothing in any of her performances - acting or singing - that is directly applicable for the role.  

Indeed, her smiling face has not once shown any of the vulnerability or steel necessary to be convincing.  Other contenders were critiqued for not being 'rough' or 'street' enough for the role - Sam has never been challenged in this area.

She has talent - I do not deny this - but she lacks the skills to be truly successful at this point.  3 years down the line - maybe - that remains to be seen.

Talent is one thing - suitability is another

#3 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Totally agree with you, Oxford Sam. All of Sam's performances have suggested that she has a potential career as a pop singer, and she certainly looks well, but we haven't seen any range of performance style from her. It's my opinion that the programme producers have been selling her as the sexy-kitten, and as such, she has performed well. But it's interesting to note her growth throughout the series.
Despite her lack of range, she has attracted minimum criticism from the panel, while the others, who have tried to put variety into their performances, have been, sometimes quite viciously, chastised!
Sam, consequently has a more relaxed air about her, while the other contestants seem to be increasingly filled with insecurities. Both Jessie and Rachel have been lifted up one minute, and knocked down the next. They have tried to respond to criticism, and have then been slated for not being their true selves!!!
It's my belief that the programme has stifled their individuality and now has ALL the girls performing to a set pattern.... the same starchy movements, exaggerated hand gestures, over-playing to the cameras.... In other words, they are being badly produced, and then the production flaws are being blamed on the individuals... I have not seen one performance yet that echoes what I would expect to see on a theatre stage...

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

"I have not seen one performance yet that echoes what I would expect to see on a theatre stage... "

Because they are performing to a camera OR performing like they would on a stage and this coming across badly on the screen. Which is the ultimate flaw in this casting method because you are auditioning contestants in a form in which they would never perform in the actual show/part, not just in the style of performing but also the songs they are given to audition with. Lets face it, noone in a "normal" pro audition call for Oliver would ever dream of singing Lily allen.   huh.gif And usually lead calls for these types of shows happen on actual theatre stages, so you have a totally different type of audition setting to master than a comparitively small television studio and a screen audience. It's a ludicrous way of casting.

#5 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

Agreed!

#6 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

I completely agree with you, obviously people see Nancy differently but for me she fits it perfectly.

I'll be voting for her anyway!

#7 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

I may  be wrong here  but I suspect that the way Sam looks is really as far as it goes.......be honest rolleyes.gif One of the  guys I work with summed her   up  for me he called her a perfect 'Pop tart'

#8 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 22 2008, 12:49 PM) View Post
It is not a question of hating anyone, it is a question of seeing who is best for the role of Nancy as written in the score and in the script of Lionel Bart's show.

Nothing in the above post makes reference to Sam's suitability for the role.  Indeed we have been shown nothing in any of her performances - acting or singing - that is directly applicable for the role.  

Indeed, her smiling face has not once shown any of the vulnerability or steel necessary to be convincing.  Other contenders were critiqued for not being 'rough' or 'street' enough for the role - Sam has never been challenged in this area.

She has talent - I do not deny this - but she lacks the skills to be truly successful at this point.  3 years down the line - maybe - that remains to be seen.

Talent is one thing - suitability is another

Good day Oxford Simon

Thanks for the reply... My post was not aimed at you or anyone else directly, merely an expression of my personal opinion – the ‘haters’ reference would apply to those that criticise Sam or indeed any other individual where the attacks are intended to ‘hurt’ based on the writers needs rather than a constructive criticism of the subject.

I note you do not reply to my thoughts regarding Jodie, Rachel or Jessie?

Your point regarding seeing the contestants proving their suitability is a good one, but this applies to them all - a problem with the format and production this time round.

But I rest with Sam believing that she has been the best performer this last month, with the best voice and easily the best mover … she didn’t start as my favourite, one of 3 but running behind Rachel and Jessie. Sam grabs the eye in the group numbers moving effortlessly very comfortable in her skin.

Sam would, I think, take direction better than Jessie and Jodie. I have written for youth theatre and have directed both adult and youth theatre and everything else being equal would take youth over age for this part!

I have no doubt that Jessie, wonderful voice when singing the right songs, will do quite nicely in the future as will Rachel who is an undoubted performer lacking only that indefinable essence that sets stars apart – worried for Jodie who I think could struggle to break away from the cabaret/guest spot should she not win believing that Sam will win through with a career that would have legs!

#9 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:45 AM

I only gave my views with regards to Sam because she was the focus of your posting.

My preference has - from the first audition show - been for Jodie - she best fits my view of the character both vocally and histrionically.

Sam seems to have been given a slightly easier ride in terms of the comments of the panel - that may just be my prejudice - but that is how it has come over to me.  She does have talents but she also has faults - and only very occasionally do those faults even get a passing reference - whereas other contenders are pulled up for the same faults that Sam demonstrates.

I did once believe that Jessie was being lined up for victory - however I think ALW has swtiched allegiance to Sam.  

For me, she lacks the maturity that life on the streets in the nineteenth century would have given her - and I have seen nothing in her acting tests that would indicate that she has it in her to cope with the emotional demands of the part.

She can sing, she can dance but she is not my Nancy

#10 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hi u (again) we can only pick from those that were selected and that have survived – without boringly repeating my thoughts on those 4 whom I believe all have shortcomings I posted originally in part as if you check the board there are many anti Sam posts and topics which is fine – I just don’t get the need to denigrate in that way

The concept is (was) to find a new comer, spoiled by the pros getting in the act, a chance to propel a wannabe with potential – the peoples choice if you will?

Sam has thus far received huge support from those that will decide in part maybe influenced by the panel but has grown considerably as a performer appearing to take direction better than most, looking at home in front of an audience unlike many and has that star quality which seems to enable her to flourish unlike some who appear constrained – inhibited even … she has the potential to go a long way and I hope she does

Have a good day – if I don’t reply its only because I’m heading for the airport later away for 2 weeks with fingers x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users