- - - - -

Sound Of Music Rumours For Nancy Rejects...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Michelle21_*

Guest_Michelle21_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 28 2008, 02:26 PM) View Post
I can't go into detail but lets just say that many a swing I know was promised they would be on 8 shows a week and ended up sitting in the dressing room most of the time.

You can't go into detail because that's a ridiculous comment to make.  A swing is employed to cover various parts (usually ensemble) - they normally only go on if somebody else is off through Illness, Injury or Holiday Etc.

Unless it's an appallingly cheap production of course, where occasionally the A.S.M's are the swings.

#22 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(Michelle21 @ Jun 15 2008, 11:01 PM) View Post
You can't go into detail because that's a ridiculous comment to make.  A swing is employed to cover various parts (usually ensemble) - they normally only go on if somebody else is off through Illness, Injury or Holiday Etc.

Some shows do have on-stage swings - mainly tours and regional shows rather than West End ones. They're used to pad out crowd scenes and they hang around at the back of ensemble dance numbers. What makes them swings rather than ensemble is that their tracks contain nothing that needs to be taken over by someone else - not a single solo word, not a single solo step - so they can move into another role as required without leaving a gap in the show.

It's uncommon, however, so I think "many a swing I know" was something of an exaggeration.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#23 Jeffery

Jeffery

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Jun 16 2008, 06:21 AM) View Post
Some shows do have on-stage swings - mainly tours and regional shows rather than West End ones. They're used to pad out crowd scenes and they hang around at the back of ensemble dance numbers. What makes them swings rather than ensemble is that their tracks contain nothing that needs to be taken over by someone else - not a single solo word, not a single solo step - so they can move into another role as required without leaving a gap in the show.

It's uncommon, however, so I think "many a swing I know" was something of an exaggeration.

Thanks for the technical explanation of what a swing does.  Can someone please tell me where the term 'swing' comes from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users