• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#21 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Orchestrator - when I last did Boheme we had 1 tenor who sang the notes Puccini wanted (the higher ones) and a second who refused and took the lower option.  I just bumbled along as Alcindoro!!

Lieder have always been made available in different keys

I would have thought that composers of MT would be more upset by some of the dreadful arrangements that have been perpetrated rather than any change to the key signature!

#22 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

Just thinking more about Boheme - the end of the first act (O soave fanciualla) has Mimi soaring to a top C as she exits and Rodolfo coming in with F.  However a lot of tenors like to show off and head for the same C - they very rarely blend!

Money notes are not always the most interesting or pleasant.

I think the biggest exception is the glorious C iin the Allegri Miserere - now that is a note!

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:54 PM

I know when DVO did Tell me on a Sunday some of it was trasposed. The actual song TMOAS was transposed down a tone, not sure about the rest of the show. So ALW must not mind it too much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users