What Are You Most Looking Forward To At The Fringe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Whatsonstage.com

Whatsonstage.com

Global Moderator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7744 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

Let's get the conversation started!

And please check out our dedicated 2011 festival section on the site at www.whatsonstage.com/edinburgh.

Happy festival-going.

#2 Guest_Emily Moseley_*

Guest_Emily Moseley_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

I saw a production of Peep Show a while ago in London and it was fantastic! And now the show is going to the EdFringe this year and I can't wait to see it again. It's on at the Greenside Theatre so I thought I'd share - you should ALL go!

#3 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

I am going for the first time this year- I have my B&B booked and my travel booked- and I have been making a shortlist of things that catch my eye from the blurbs or because I know something/ have seen them already.

Has anyone got any top tips for getting the most out of Edinburgh please?
Should I pre book my favourites?
Should I get a bus travel card or is every venue within walking distance of  each other?

Do they tend to over run? What do you suggest is the minimum gap you should allow between  different shows?

Where are the best places to eat and drink?

Thanks
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#4 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:46 AM

View Postmeerkat, on 21 July 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

I am going for the first time this year- I have my B&B booked and my travel booked- and I have been making a shortlist of things that catch my eye from the blurbs or because I know something/ have seen them already.

Has anyone got any top tips for getting the most out of Edinburgh please?
Should I pre book my favourites?
Should I get a bus travel card or is every venue within walking distance of  each other?

Do they tend to over run? What do you suggest is the minimum gap you should allow between  different shows?

Where are the best places to eat and drink?

Thanks

Enjoy!

Yes, most of the places are within walking distance of each other.  Sometimes there are hefty hills, but they're not normally more than 20 minutes or so away from each other.

Things that get really good reviews in the first couple of days need pre-booking.  Plus most of the stuff at the Traverse.  Everything was sold out last time I went.

I really enjoy a felafel and pesto wrap at the place on George IV Bridge, just up from Augustine's (from Google street view, it's called Mediterranean Gate, I think).
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#5 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostMichael H, on 22 July 2011 - 02:46 AM, said:

Enjoy!

Yes, most of the places are within walking distance of each other.  Sometimes there are hefty hills, but they're not normally more than 20 minutes or so away from each other.

Things that get really good reviews in the first couple of days need pre-booking.  Plus most of the stuff at the Traverse.  Everything was sold out last time I went.

I really enjoy a felafel and pesto wrap at the place on George IV Bridge, just up from Augustine's (from Google street view, it's called Mediterranean Gate, I think).

Thanks Michael

I love falafels so I will make a note of that place.

I may have to revise my shortlist  and plans as I will be pushing my companion in a wheelchair- and doing some research it seems that negotiating the hills and some fringe venues in Edinburgh is likely to be a challenge.
I may prebook some favourites as I don't want to lug up a hill to find it sold out!!!

Off to Waterstones now to see if I can pick up a paper guide.
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

If you look carefully you can manage to only have to negotiate the hill once a day and maybe not even that. Book or plan for clusters of venues. Taxis are cheapish and easily available to go to the comedy courtyard.

And if by any chance hey are doing 'The Hotel' again this year, do go. Not with a wheelchair sadly.

#7 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

I would imagine that a lot of the venues with names like "attic" will be tricky to get a wheelchair round.

However, there is plenty of information in the fringe programme itself (you can pick one up from the National Theatre, to the left of the Lyttleton cloackroom).  I'm sure that all the venues will be happy to answer questions if you ask.  I remember that Augustine's (where we were in 2009) was wheelchair accessible, if you asked for the ramp up the front couple of steps.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#8 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hey, now booked to go up there from 7th to 11th August.

#9 Guest_The Suburbanite_*

Guest_The Suburbanite_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I tend to go every other year, went last year so missing this year and going in 2012 - already on the verge of provisionally booking an apartment for a week. But I'm feeling the itch and the urge. I'm envious of you going. I daresay I'll reach the point when I'll be going every year. When I'm very rich I'll book myself in for the whole month. If it's your first time it'll be interesting to hear what your experience was like and whether you've been bitten by the bug. Where are you staying?

The most hilly bit to negotiate is just south of Prince's Street Gardens; on the map, the 'axis' formed by Grassmarket/Cowgate is just south of a very steep incline; everything moving north of that axis is up a steep hill. There are some interconnecting stairways as well. It's one of the most 3-dimensional cities I know - roads traverse other roads at right angles on high bridges.

There are lots of good places to eat. Petit Paris in the Grassmarket is very good affordable French food; there's an Italian I can't remember the name of on the east side of George IV Bridge I'd recommend; I'm crazy about the various Dogs places for pushing the boat out a bit more, but I think they all involve stairs to some extent. Henderson's (George Street? just off Hanover St) good for when you're feeling non-meaty. The Edinburgh Larder on Blackfriars St is excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner and uses a lot of Scottish produce. The outdoor eating area they usually set up outside the Gilded Balloon on Teviot is nice - basic, aluminium tables and chairs with canopies and surrounded by a bar, burger stand, crepes stand, etc but I enjoyed killing time there and have a very fond memory of sitting safely under a canopy while it tipped down and watching other people scrambling around to get under cover. Always Sunday on the High Street is worth a visit too. AVOID the Yum Yum HK Diner.

I always comb through the brochure and pre-book. If you're booking on the day at the Fringe box office, get there for 30mins before opening and queue, or you'll end up waiting an age. Learn to politely refuse or side-step the flyering people or you'll end up with enough to paper your whole house.

Above all, enjoy it and let us know how you got on.

#10 Guest_The Suburbanite_*

Guest_The Suburbanite_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

And oh yes, generally no need for any travelcards etc, especially if you stay within the central part of the Fringe brochure main map. Always check carefully the venue number as some are in outlying areas that may require travel. I always try to leave gaps of about 30 minutes between shows, even for close-together venues. I tend to crowd my schedule a fair bit, and have managed to avoid tearing from one venue to the next and arriving red-faced and panting with seconds to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users