451 replies to this topic

#231 mike74

mike74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostWickeder, on 10 March 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

<br />I'm sure I remember from one of the documentaries on the movie DVD, Richard Stilgoe or someone saying that the chandelier in London is one of the slowest thanks to good old health and safety. He said something about other productions - possibly Australia - it coming down fast enough to scare the audience convincingly.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The London show is so iconic, even things that haven't changed. People love it because of that, I don't think it's dated and tired at all, it was ahead of its time in 1986.

#232 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

What's starting to become clear is that these die hard fans who are so opposed to any other staging are not fans of the musical but of this particular production. They don't seem to be able to see past anyother staging. So if it closes and is later revived, they won't have anyother interest in seeing it unless its a carbon of the original.

I think you'll find to the wider public it's the music and the story that captures their imagination, as is proven by a lot of the comments coming from Plymouth. There maybe the odd niggle on the set but they're still standing and cheering at the end, at that is the magic of the show. It seems to only be the die hards that are taking serious issue

#233 mike74

mike74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostTitan, on 10 March 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

<br />What's starting to become clear is that these die hard fans who are so opposed to any other staging are not fans of the musical but of this particular production. They don't seem to be able to see past anyother staging. So if it closes and is later revived, they won't have anyother interest in seeing it unless its a carbon of the original.<br /><br />I think you'll find to the wider public it's the music and the story that captures their imagination, as is proven by a lot of the comments coming from Plymouth. There maybe the odd niggle on the set but they're still standing and cheering at the end, at that is the magic of the show. It seems to only be the die hards that are taking serious issue<br />
<br /><br /><br />

People are just used to the original, still the best musical on stage. I remember seeing the tour in 1998-2000, was a replica of the London show and took 10 days just to install it. That must be a huge undertaking. I didn't realise it toured in 1993-1995 too.

#234 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Yeah the last tour was 93-95 if I recall Earl was the phantom then too.  I love POTO and the chandalier is important. I felt a little bit cheated at the Albert Hall as fireworks werent that impressive.  However it will be nice to see what happens differently on this tour

#235 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

No it toured late 90/ and into the 00s too

#236 London-phan

London-phan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 10 March 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

<br />Yeah the last tour was 93-95 if I recall Earl was the phantom then too.  I love POTO and the chandalier is important. I felt a little bit cheated at the Albert Hall as fireworks werent that impressive.  However it will be nice to see what happens differently on this tour<br />

Earl hasn't played the Phantom in any of the previous tours, the '93-'95 tour was Dave  Willetts and Mark McKerracher and the '98-'00 tour was Scott Davies, Mike Sterling, and Peter Karrie. Earl didn't play the role until 2003 in London.

#237 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostTitan, on 10 March 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

<br />What's starting to become clear is that these die hard fans who are so opposed to any other staging are not fans of the musical but of this particular production. They don't seem to be able to see past anyother staging. So if it closes and is later revived, they won't have anyother interest in seeing it unless its a carbon of the original.<br /><br />I think you'll find to the wider public it's the music and the story that captures their imagination, as is proven by a lot of the comments coming from Plymouth. There maybe the odd niggle on the set but they're still standing and cheering at the end, at that is the magic of the show. It seems to only be the die hards that are taking serious issue<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree, when I last saw it in London, I thought the boat looked clunky and dated as it zig zagged about the stage.  Then at the end when Raoul and Christine were in it, you could quite clearly hear it squeaking. Personally I'd like the title song to be updated so that the leads are on stage for longer and singing more of it live.

#238 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostGreeneyes, on 11 March 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

<br /><br /><br />

I agree, when I last saw it in London, I thought the boat looked clunky and dated as it zig zagged about the stage.  Then at the end when Raoul and Christine were in it, you could quite clearly hear it squeaking. Personally I'd like the title song to be updated so that the leads are on stage for longer and singing more of it live.
I'd agree too. I have many fond memories of Phantom, it was the first show I saw in the West End, about a year after it opened and it thought it was wonderful. However I revisited it a few years ago and it was looking very tired and dated. The day we went they didn't use enough dry-ice and the wheels of the boat were clearly visible. Yes it was spectacular for the time when it opened, but unfortunately things have moved on.
I have tickets for the new production in Manchester and am looking forward to seeing what they've done with it.

#239 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostRichey, on 11 March 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'd agree too. I have many fond memories of Phantom, it was the first show I saw in the West End, about a year after it opened and it thought it was wonderful. However I revisited it a few years ago and it was looking very tired and dated. The day we went they didn't use enough dry-ice and the wheels of the boat were clearly visible. Yes it was spectacular for the time when it opened, but unfortunately things have moved on.
I have tickets for the new production in Manchester and am looking forward to seeing what they've done with it.

I saw the show in London last April and again about a month ago---didn't see any boat wheels and enjoyed the show.

I think they are doing the title song differently in the new tour. Maybe you should give *it* a try.

#240 mike74

mike74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostBricabrac, on 11 March 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

<br />I saw the show in London last April and again about a month ago---didn't see any boat wheels and enjoyed the show. <br /><br />I think they are doing the title song differently in the new tour. Maybe you should give *it* a try.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The London show gets me every time, that overture and chandelier, brilliant!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users