Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Jealous John!
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#292 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

I forgot to write about the first unmask scene. I think the new version is a vast improvement that now it's not Christine who unmasks the Phantom. He is already unmasked applying medicine or something to the bad side of his face with his back turned to sleeping Christine. But as he starts playing the organ with the music box starting as well, the sounds wake her up and that results in her seeing his face without the mask.  

It's good on two points

:1) It's somehow very touching to learn that the Phantom still has to deal with such daily necessities like taking care of his rotting (?) skin.  It makes him look more human.

2)I've always questioned the logic of Christine rudely taking his mask off from behind, especially if you remember the demon-like facial expression Ms. Brightman had at this point in the promotion video. It made little sense to me.

In fact, this was the biggest and best change in the new production afa I am concerned.

#293 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostSHk, on 09 April 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

I forgot to write about the first unmask scene. I think the new version is a vast improvement that now it's not Christine who unmasks the Phantom. He is already unmasked applying medicine or something to the bad side of his face with his back turned to sleeping Christine. But as he starts playing the organ with the music box starting as well, the sounds wake her up and that results in her seeing his face without the mask.  

It's good on two points

:1) It's somehow very touching to learn that the Phantom still has to deal with such daily necessities like taking care of his rotting (?) skin.  It makes him look more human.

2)I've always questioned the logic of Christine rudely taking his mask off from behind, especially if you remember the demon-like facial expression Ms. Brightman had at this point in the promotion video. It made little sense to me.

In fact, this was the biggest and best change in the new production afa I am concerned.

Christine taking the mask off from behind is "another" homage to the original silent film -- one of many. I don't see any problems with the "logic" of it -- if I were the Phantom's prisoner and wanted to unmask him, it would surely be easier to do so from behind without him noticing than in front of him!

I haven't seen it yet, but from what you've described this new staging makes less sense to me. He's planned for months and months and months to abduct her and bring him to his lair -- why would he be so careless as to do his 'daily facial', as it were, right near his object of his desire and thereby risk ruining the whole charade he's been carefully constructing?

I don't think there's any need for the Phantom to be any more human, it starts ruining the magic of it. Case in point: Love Never Dies.

#294 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Why shouldn't the Phantom be more human? That doesn't make sense, he is after all human!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#295 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

More human or not, how does this work with the Phantom shouting at Christine for taking his mask off? Unless they changed/cut the lyrics I can't see how the new staging makes sense. Or am I missing something here?!

#296 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 09 April 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Why shouldn't the Phantom be more human? That doesn't make sense, he is after all human!

Of course he's human, but I'd argue that part of the character's allure is his mystique. The whole 'supernatural' element he has going on in the Hal Prince production strikes me as just right. You still see his humanity, but to make the Phantom an everyday joe, when he's perhaps something of an extremely accomplished Übermensch, isn't particularly interesting and ruins the magic IMHO. There is a danger of overhumanising him. It's one of the recurring complaints regarding what happened to his character in a certain sequel, particularly in its London incarnation, and I also thought it was one of the problems with the film.

#297 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I had no problem with LND and actually think especially in the Australian production the the character has been well rounded!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#298 achilles

achilles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Loved the new show tonight. It seems altogether more visceral, and urgent and darker, and the main body of the set is a triumphant, and came up with a few satisfying surprises. Some moments were truly better than the other production, especially the descent into the lake. It's grittier and more textured, and you really get to feel the workings of the Opera House. And thankfully some naff moments have gone, such as the ghastly mannequin falling through the mirror, and the clumsy doubles. The only moment where it didn't quite take off was the masquerade, which is a masquerade here and not a fancy dress, so there's a logic to the less than thrilling costumes, especially the phantoms.The Phantom nearly got incinerated tonight, when one of the big flame flares (how puny the london ones look after these)went off right under him by mistake. But I felt thrilled by it tonight. well done gang.

Though Raoul does seem to stand around a lot when the Phantom is being threatening, and I have never quite understood the whole Phantom as Father figure thing, but that's a fault of the original. And maybe the hidden entrances of the phantom could have been staged with a bit more panache, and when does Christine have the time to change into a wedding dress for the final scene. Last time we saw her she was being abducted. hang on whilst I change my frock! Small niggles indeed, but I applaud the restaging of most of it. The descent escpecially.

#299 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Birmingham Hippodrome has just announced their season for next year with another date being added to The Phantom of the Opera tour.  It will play now at the Birmingham Hippodrome from 13th March – 4th May 2013.

Tickets go on sale as follows: Friends Priority: 8th May/Groups: 14th May/General (Online): 17th May and General (Phone & Counter): 21st May

#300 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

YES!! The dummy doll thingy is GONE!! Well done Lawrence! This is also the biggest improvement in the new version IMHO.  The Phantom is still a double murderer but at least he isn't that pervert anymore. One can't help wishing he isn't doing anything physical to/with it (or is it just me?). And how I regretted the fact that he up-graded the dummy to a robot in LND, though I love the show despite its many shortcomings.

As for the un-masking, again I too appreciate that it was there in the respected film version, but it's a NEW production.  So the director should not be blamed for creating his own version of the same story because that's exactly what he was paid to do, I imagine.

The problem I have regarding the un-masking in the original is not that she comes up from behind.  It doesn't matter how she grabs it, it's just I don't think a kind-hearted young lady wouldn't do suca a thing in the first place.  So I think it pretty rich that Hal Prince tells us that when she returns the mask to the Phantom, that's exactly when he falls in love with her. She took it off him without asking, so why returning it to its owner makes her an angel?

The Phantom being more human, is again, the director's own way of looking at the same story .  Why should we keep expecting a new version to be in the same tone as the original? What would be the point of making a new version, if we just kept complaining "it's not like the original!"? At least, with JOJ in the title role, this more human approach works really well.

Just let us not forget, it's a new version. Totally new. As much as I love the original, some aspects of it are dated, and I for one welcome some uadating.  That is not to say if this new version was the original it could have also lasted 25 years. It probably couldn't. The original's mysteriousness was a key factor of its lasting attraction. But just like opera and ballet, different versions of the same story should happily co-exist. Just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users