451 replies to this topic

#31 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:32 PM

Why not give it to the man who has amounted more performances as Phantom than anyone else in its world history! - Seems fair to me!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#32 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

JOJ doesn't have the world record (I think -- but am not sure -- that that's held by Brad Little, who's clocked up performances in the States and in Asia), but he does have the West End record for most performances as the Phantom.  John is such a great performer, both voice- and acting-wise, that he is easily at the very top of my favourite Phantoms list, but I wouldn't mind seeing new blood in the role too.  However, if JOJ playing the role makes the possibility of recording of his Phantom more likely (I doubt it, but I can always hope), then I really hope he's cast.  At least it avoids all this "young and sexy [but not necessarily suitable]" nonsense that has plagued recent casts.

#33 PMB1034

PMB1034

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

I heard a rumbling about Simon Bailey. I however, am by no means "connected".

#34 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:25 AM

Simon Bailey doesn't have the vocal prowess for The Phantom a fine Raoul yes but Phantom???
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#35 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

I stand corrected in regards to JOJ as title holder - it is in fact Howard McGillin with 2544 appearances as The Phantom! JOJ left the Phantom in 2005 amounting 1400 performances - I am sure however he will beat this record over the next few years!

#36 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

It would be nice to see people in the principal roles who have never played them in the past imo. Can't bear JOJ myself so I'd avoid anything with him in it. Ramin is a different matter :)

#37 PMB1034

PMB1034

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

View Postchinatoy, on 21 September 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

It would be nice to see people in the principal roles who have never played them in the past imo.
I would concur on this. I enjoyed JOJ's performance terribly & will likely see him again before he finishes London in March. But if it is to be a new production  - surely a new surprising Phantom would be appropriate or at least someone who has been away from the role for some time? As gifted as a performer may be, you're essentially only going to get riffs on the same theme & as has been mentioned he has racked up a lot of performances, so hardly a case of not getting a fair crack of the whip. It's time the Stephen John Davis' or Brian McCann's of this world got a shot. I hear Peter J÷back is taking over in London - I know sod all about him which excites me no end, more like this please!

#38 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

View PostPMB1034, on 21 September 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

I would concur on this. I enjoyed JOJ's performance terribly & will likely see him again before he finishes London in March. But if it is to be a new production  - surely a new surprising Phantom would be appropriate or at least someone who has been away from the role for some time? As gifted as a performer may be, you're essentially only going to get riffs on the same theme & as has been mentioned he has racked up a lot of performances, so hardly a case of not getting a fair crack of the whip. It's time the Stephen John Davis' or Brian McCann's of this world got a shot. I hear Peter J÷back is taking over in London - I know sod all about him which excites me no end, more like this please!

I'm a firm believer that JOJ is one of  the most talented and dedicated performers currently acting in WE.  Very few is blessed with that much talent combined with sheer stuborne professionalism and impeccable track record. The contribution he made to Les Miz, for example, in the 25th tour is inmeasurable (Why didn't they make a DVD as well????) . The same goes to his current run in POTO. Notice how he rarely misses shows, still appearing 8 times a week.  I can only express my respect and admiration.

Therefore, I'd love to see him in POTO tour version if it means a CD is going to be made. It's a huge pitty his outstanding performance in POTO has  not been  properly recorded.  Just like LND's DVD with Ramin was never made, I consider this to be a great shame and a loss for the MT world  and fans alike.

Having said that,  I supposed that he  might not want to play the same role for too long, although it's a new production and may feel new enough for him, I don't know.   So, I'd welcome actors like Brian and Stephen to play the tour Phantom. I have seen both of them in the role and was not dissapointed.  I still think they are both too young for the role, but they are talented young actors, nevertheless. I would be also glad to see gifted new faces as well.

#39 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostSHk, on 21 September 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

I'm a firm believer that JOJ is one of  the most talented and dedicated performers currently acting in WE.  Very few is blessed with that much talent combined with sheer stuborne professionalism and impeccable track record. The contribution he made to Les Miz, for example, in the 25th tour is inmeasurable (Why didn't they make a DVD as well????) . The same goes to his current run in POTO. Notice how he rarely misses shows, still appearing 8 times a week.  I can only express my respect and admiration.

Therefore, I'd love to see him in POTO tour version if it means a CD is going to be made. It's a huge pitty his outstanding performance in POTO has  not been  properly recorded.  Just like LND's DVD with Ramin was never made, I consider this to be a great shame and a loss for the MT world  and fans alike.

Having said that,  I supposed that he  might not want to play the same role for too long, although it's a new production and may feel new enough for him, I don't know.   So, I'd welcome actors like Brian and Stephen to play the tour Phantom. I have seen both of them in the role and was not dissapointed.  I still think they are both too young for the role, but they are talented young actors, nevertheless. I would be also glad to see gifted new faces as well.

#40 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Sorry, presed the wrong button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users