451 replies to this topic

#351 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

A video trailer has been released for the Bristol run. It's on Broadwayworld if you want to see it

#352 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Saw the matinee yesterday and was disappointed overall. There were some good things (JOJ, masquerade didn't have dummies, the managers) but it lacked any wow. The chandelier may as well not even have been there, those stairs down to the lair looked tacky and dangerous (hence the reason why the characters all have obvious wires attached to them when going down them) Simon bailey was by far the worse raoul I have ever seen - no stage presence, no charisma and a weak voice, could barely hear him at times. Katie was ok, bit too shrill at times but she grew on me. Definitely prefer the original even if it is in need of a major refresh.

#353 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I am really going to have to differ with you on Simon Bailey. I think he is the best Raoul I've seen, and this is the first time I have ever heard his voice described as "weak." I've often read the opposite from viewers; that his voice sometimes overpowered the others, so I don't know what happened the day you viewed his performance! I personally like the changes to Raoul's character, and thought it added to the story and made it more believable! To each his own!

#354 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

Simon Bailey, certainly one of the best Raouls I've seen. Thanks to the new direction, his Raoul is a lot more than the pretty boy depicted in the birilliant (but also dated) original.

#355 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

No way is he the best in my opinion. Will barratt and Michael xavier were far superior and less wimpish.

#356 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Will was so wooden (though very handsome), but I would have loved to see Micheal as Raoul. I didn't even know he played the role once.

#357 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

I agree Simon is up there with Hadley and Ramin as the stronger raouls I've seen, the only really masculine and none wimpy pretty boys I've seen. Michael xavier was almost there and certainly very good but he was still a bit pretty boyish

#358 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

I don't see what's bad about Raoul being a tad boyish to be honest...

#359 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think Simon is a very good Raoul, he sings and acts it extremely well and has authority. I wouldnt say Hadley was an amazing Raoul; I only saw him in POTO at RAH and I found him harsh and wooden; too shouty. If I had been Christine I would have punched him and run off with one of the managers ;o).  Will was a perfectly good Raoul as is Killian Donnelly.  I remember seeing a guy called Richard Lake play Raoul in the previous tour and thought him rather good; no idea what happened to him.

#360 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users