451 replies to this topic

#361 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

The worst raoul I've seen by far was Oliver Thornton, shocking.

#362 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

I saw Ramin as Raoul, but don't remember that much about his performance, so I guess I wasn't that impressed, or maybe I'm such much more theatre wise now. I love Ramin as Phantom and Jean Valjean. I saw Will Barret , as us to Simon Bailey, and again as the lead Raoul, and I think he's a very nice guy, but I did not think his Raoul was anywhere close to Simon's. I did not care for Hadley's Raoul at all either; I did see Killian  on my last trip, and next to Simon Bailey, I thought he was the best, but Simon still gets my vote as the top Raoul. Raoul should be a little arrogant, I would think, as a vicount, and used to getting his way. I'm still in shock with the "weak voice," comment about Simon. It makes me wonder if his mike was off, because I have often heard those, who did not like Simon's Raoul, speak of his overpowering voice. In my opinion, Simon has a very strong voice!

#363 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Maybe it was the mics as Katie was difficult to hear at times too. I saw Simon as raoul in London and he seemed better there. Think I was just let down overall by the whole production and maybe the direction wasn't up to the standard of the original.

#364 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I think it must have been the mike, because  as I said earlier, I have never ever heard anyone, even those who did not like Simon's portrayal, call his voice "weak." I was afraid I'd be disappointed by the tour version, but I really preferred it, much to my surprise. The physical things did not bother me so much (of course it's harder to do the huge production on tour) because I preferred the new little additions as Raoul being on stage until Hannibal, as though he's remembering etc.  I liked the new stage directions for AIAOY, as it was clear Christine was thinking of jumping off the roof. In general, I thought the role of Raoul was made stronger, and I thought that was a good thing. Of course I'd prefer a crashing chandelier, but the strength of the cast made of for that in my eyes, and there is a limit to what can be carried on tour, and what can be allowed with the new safety standards. I noticed the scary looking steps and said to my daughter "Oh, that looks dangerous." She said "They all have wires on" I never noticed the wires, LOL! I think I am very good a suspending disbelief! Everyone has their preferences, and some will prefer the original, and that's fine. I think this new version, at Her Majesty's with the crashing chandelier and the steps, would be awesome!

#365 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

I went to Plymouth in April and I went to Bristol on Mon; that will not be my last visit whilst it is in my area (well 1.5 hrs drive away; still closer than Plymouth). I love the cast; I didnt see Katie this time as she doesnt do Fri or Mon but saw Olivia Brereton who was extremely good although I think her dancing in PONR was not as strong as Katie's.  I think the cast have become far slicker than when I saw it 2 months ago.  I think there are some good elements that could be incorporated in the London production; Lair, killing of Buquet, but I miss the chandelier.  Something that made my son laugh was the fact a piece of the chandelier fell down my top when it 'exploded' (fizzed a bit), that was the most exciting thing about it for me.  I do like this tour & I'm contemplating a sneaky trip again on Thu.

#366 Phantomb

Phantomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

Saw Phantom in Bristol last night.
Quick draw review points
- AMAZING set. In it's versatility and effect in changing scene. I still prefer the original production but there are some very special and effective changes.
- Costumes were good. Missed red death - Phantom didn't seem to be distinguished from anyone else in that scene.
- Music was good although some of the tempos were slightly off (for me)

Phantom
- JOJ was adequate. There seemed to be some balance issues with the voice being overpowered by the music occasionally. Perhaps it's a tactic to save the voice but he seems to croon off the voice way too much. He's in a minority of singers who use their pianissimo to good effect but this shouldn't come at the expense of a rich sound when required. It was frustrating to listen to as it seemed he only had 2 gears. Crooner and belt. Hmmmm. Some lazy diction too. Acting wise he was ok - could be tighter and more focussed.

Christine
- Katie Hall was great, again some lazy vowels but her portrayal was well-rounded and well sung.

Raoul
- Simon Bailey is terrible. Actually I'll take that back - he acts the role well but his singing.....I don't get it the compulsion to cast weedy-voiced tenors for what should be IMHO, a good guy warm baritone role. Am I the only one that misses the comforting tones of Steve Barton in All I Ask Of You? Bailey spits out words left right and centre with little regard (or ability?) for melodic line.

Carlotta
- Understudy (name escapes me - first one in the programme) was EXCELLENT. More than happy to see her as first choice in any production.

Piangi
- Piangi is a gormless thankless role. I feel sorry for those who play it but generally they are more than adequate.

Firmin/Andre
- I can never work out who is who, suffice to say they were effectively performed. 'Notes' was fantastic.

Mme and Meg Giry
- No issues here.

Chorus were fine.

I thought the direction was good overall - but I felt Music of the Night went nowhere. It seemed that the Phantom was portrayed much more human and less mysterious. Raoul was able to wrestle with him, the guards were able to trap him, Meg was able to sneak up on him. Really?

Having said that the final disappearing act was GRADE A!

#367 Dubbie

Dubbie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Has anyone seen this from the back of the Upper Circle at any of the theatre it's played? I know it's different at every stop but does being at the back ruin it?

#368 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Anyone know what performances the alternate Christine has each week, or is it different for each venue?
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#369 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

I saw this last night and I have to say it was my favourite production I have seen on a stage.

I personally thought the costumes were terrific, however I have never seen the original production to compare, although the christine costumes were rather revealing in places!

Compared to the RAH staging i much preferred the new title song, as being able to see the cast the whole time felt like a positive to me!

This was the first production i have seen with what seemed like perfect control of the mics, with never being drowned out by the I must say excellent orchestra.

The ensemble was terrific and in the ballet scenes barely a foot was out wrong. (however a note on the choreography, i felt like the dancing ballet men were not quite as impressive as at the royal albert hall).

Andre & Firmin were excellent and notes sounded as good as i have heard it on any recording, and they didn't overplay the comedy as i felt was done at the RAH.

Angela M. Caesar was a terrific Carlotta, but there were one or two moments where she almost seemed detached from the action and didnt have the energy to sustain the whole Diva act for the whole show.

The Piangi was good, it didn't feel like a particularly show stopping performance but equally there was nothing wrong with the performance either.

Hannah Cadec was not vocally outstanding as Meg Giry, but she interpreted the role excellently as she seemed really youthful and enjoying the experience, and also, Meg isnt the most vocally demanding role, and she seemed to grow into the voice throughout the show.

Elizabeth Marsh played the role of Madame Giry excellently as she was vocally strong enough, but did not quite command the same attention on the stage as Liz Robertson did at the RAH, but a video is tough to compare to a live show.

Oliver Bisp was on as Raoul, and i was slightly unsure in the first scene of his acting but after this he seemed to shake off his nerves, and vocally was very impressive in the role as well as acting the role terrifically.

Katie Hall, well what can I say, she was perfect, her voice soared to the high notes and i felt she truly was discovering herself and her voice through the show, and then the fear overcame her when it needed, she so nearly stole the show, but...

It had already been stolen by John Owen-Jones! His voice was truly amazing as he belted out the required notes, but felt reserved and lost at the same time. Music Of The Night was definitely a highlight, as he didnt try and shout the house down with his powerful voice, but instead chose to sing the song passionately to make you feel he was a real character who was desperate, rather than being someone who stands on the stage and sings as loud as he can.

Overall this was definitely a five star production, and i urge everyone to go and see it ASAP!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#370 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostMS1995, on 29 June 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

(however a note on the choreography, i felt like the dancing ballet men were not quite as impressive as at the royal albert hall).
Well, to put this into perspective, you had Sergei Polunin at the Royal Albert Hall and ballet doesn't get much better than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users