#371 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostCactus, on 29 June 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Well, to put this into perspective, you had Sergei Polunin at the Royal Albert Hall and ballet doesn't get much better than that.

Oh ok, i did think that he was a big name in ballet, and i still thought they were great in bristol, but it can't hurt to compare people to the very best!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#372 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Unless it had been Steven McRae :P .

#373 ollyd24

ollyd24

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

how is JOJ's understudy! seeing this tour version at leeds grand theatre and JOJ is off on 20th august! just wondering how the understudy is! also the christine understudy! were going on a monday so i take it katie wont be on? hows her understudy? many thanka

#374 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

I can't be sure how he is as the phantom, but Richard Woodford was terrific as Javert in Les Mis when I saw him!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#375 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Just saw today's matinee in Dublin...I loved it, ive never seen original production so I can't compare, but I thought the staging was cleverly done.

Had full cast apart from Olivia as Christine who I thought was really good, was a bit disappointed that Katie wasn't on but when Olivia started Think of Me, I think I fell in love with her voice.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#376 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

Lots of shows have looked at the Dominian, legally blonde being a recent example, but none have managed to get wwry out

#377 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostTitan, on 01 August 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Lots of shows have looked at the Dominian, legally blonde being a recent example, but none have managed to get wwry out

Wrong thread? :P

View Postwickedlover, on 01 August 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Just saw today's matinee in Dublin...I loved it, ive never seen original production so I can't compare, but I thought the staging was cleverly done.

Had full cast apart from Olivia as Christine who I thought was really good, was a bit disappointed that Katie wasn't on but when Olivia started Think of Me, I think I fell in love with her voice.

Trust me, Olivia is far better than Katie - a brilliant Christine. And to be making her professional début in the show too!

#378 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostPhantomb, on 09 June 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

Saw Phantom in Bristol last night.

I thought the direction was good overall - but I felt Music of the Night went nowhere. It seemed that the Phantom was portrayed much more human and less mysterious. Raoul was able to wrestle with him, the guards were able to trap him, Meg was able to sneak up on him. Really?

That is exactly what Macintosh intended:
"“John’s version is less balletic, whereas Michael did that – he was always very physical, even in his comedy – and John isn’t. Nor did we want him to try to copy that either. We wanted a far more real man. A true portrayal of someone who’s been tortured.”

http://www.yorkshire...ation-1-4781336

That kind of Phantom would be something about this new production that I don't think I will like at all (if I ever get a chance to see it).

#379 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostBricabrac, on 02 August 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

That is exactly what Macintosh intended:
"“John’s version is less balletic, whereas Michael did that – he was always very physical, even in his comedy – and John isn’t. Nor did we want him to try to copy that either. We wanted a far more real man. A true portrayal of someone who’s been tortured.”

http://www.yorkshire...ation-1-4781336

That kind of Phantom would be something about this new production that I don't think I will like at all (if I ever get a chance to see it).

Yes, I do feel that this is something that takes away from the new production.

#380 JimmyB3000

JimmyB3000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

What do we think the chances are of this show discounting?

I already have tickets for Edinburgh but would like to catch it a couple of times.

Having looked at availability on the Playhouse website, it appears that the show is not selling especially well.

Anyone managed to get a discount for a previous venue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users