#41 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostSHk, on 21 September 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

Therefore, I'd love to see him in POTO tour version if it means a CD is going to be made. It's a huge pitty his outstanding performance in POTO has  not been  properly recorded.  Just like LND's DVD with Ramin was never made, I consider this to be a great shame and a loss for the MT world  and fans alike.

Considering just how many fantastic and outstanding performances in the musical theatre world have never been recorded - not even as audio, which was done for LND - I think the shame and loss isn't too big...
And I still think that it's a tad boring for such a 'talented and dedicated' performer to play the same two roles for over ten years. Not taking anything away from his reputation.

#42 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

Error

#43 dacho

dacho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

I wonder which JOJ prefers...... Jean Valjean or Phantom?  And why?

#44 connorclarke2007

connorclarke2007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

View PostPMB1034, on 21 September 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

I would concur on this. I enjoyed JOJ's performance terribly & will likely see him again before he finishes London in March. But if it is to be a new production  - surely a new surprising Phantom would be appropriate or at least someone who has been away from the role for some time? As gifted as a performer may be, you're essentially only going to get riffs on the same theme & as has been mentioned he has racked up a lot of performances, so hardly a case of not getting a fair crack of the whip. It's time the Stephen John Davis' or Brian McCann's of this world got a shot. I hear Peter J÷back is taking over in London - I know sod all about him which excites me no end, more like this please!
Stephen Davis maybe, but McCann was dreadful as the Phantom-  Shout shout shout all the way through! I'd much rather pay and see JOJ as he's one of the best and I entirely agree on the casting of this over the "young and sexy" idea mentioned elsewhere on this topic. That stupid notion completely undermines the " beauty and the beast" ethic of the original novel and IMO makes the love triangle somewhat defunct. After all, isn't Raoul supposed to be the sexy one? Talking of which....
I've also heard Simon Bailey is Raoul. David Phipps-Davis is cover Piangi

#45 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

View Postdacho, on 22 September 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

I wonder which JOJ prefers...... Jean Valjean or Phantom?  And why?

He said in an interview that if he had to play either the Phantom or JVJ for the rest of his life, he'd choose JVJ.  He didn't say why. But we can see why, can't we? He is one of the very best in both roles, but JVJ is more his role than the Phamtom, I think.

He also said  in the same interveiw that he'd love to try lots of other roles in cluding smaller roles, but smaller roles never come his way.  I too would love to see him in many different roles, especially in comedies such as La Cage or Lend Me A Tenor, or as baddies.  I wonder if he is doing the National after March (he did go to an audition there).

Still I stick to my opinion, that if another cast recording of POTO was to be made (other than the 25th aniv. CD with Ramin), it has to be JOJ with preferrablly with Gina Beck.  I'm sure many wonderful performances go without ever being recorded, but IMHO, JOJ's vocal power is in a league of its own ,and therefore not recording his performance in this famous role is a huge loss for the POTO fans world-wide .  I hope ALW or CM will wake up.

#46 PMB1034

PMB1034

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

View Postconnorclarke2007, on 22 September 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

Stephen Davis maybe, but McCann was dreadful as the Phantom-  Shout shout shout all the way through! I'd much rather pay and see JOJ as he's one of the best and I entirely agree on the casting of this over the "young and sexy" idea mentioned elsewhere on this topic.
They were more examples of the type of actor I believe deserves a shot, rather than specifically them. I would much rather have an unknown quantity in a role, which doesn't mean it has to be a young actor, but different strokes I guess. As for young & sexy Phantom's in general, I don't like this idea; although I do feel it's a phrase bandied about, a little too much by Phantom fans (myself included in the past),  as a description of what they don't like with no real ellaboraton of what they mean by it : Does a young Phantom always equal sexy? Isn't sexy subjective?

#47 connorclarke2007

connorclarke2007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

View PostPMB1034, on 22 September 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

They were more examples of the type of actor I believe deserves a shot, rather than specifically them. I would much rather have an unknown quantity in a role, which doesn't mean it has to be a young actor, but different strokes I guess. As for young & sexy Phantom's in general, I don't like this idea; although I do feel it's a phrase bandied about, a little too much by Phantom fans (myself included in the past),  as a description of what they don't like with no real ellaboraton of what they mean by it : Does a young Phantom always equal sexy? Isn't sexy subjective?
Ah I see. I only commented on those you mentioned. My favourite was the wonderful Martin Smith. I remember being blown away by how sensitive his performance was and vocally spot on the times I saw it ( despite hearing he was "let go" due to vocal inconsistency).

Not too sure but I think that the phrase "young and sexy" phantom came from ALW or Cameron in an interview about Ramin being the youngest in the UK to play it and how he's redifined the role for future casting. I might be going mad though!
IMO give me a slightly older, more solid man as the Phantom any day - more believable given the things hes supposed to have achieved in his years - architect, musician, and definitely more sadder to watch as Christine goes for the "pretty boy"! I like Ramin, but I often wonder how LND might have progressed with older actors as the leads who visibly looked ten years older and wiser. Would be interesting.

#48 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

The "young and sexy" phrase originated from Joel Schumacher.  That was his ONLY vision for that nightmare of a film.  He literally had no direction to give any of the actors aside from the phrase "make it sexy".  His view of the story as a tragic love triangle of "young, beautiful people" completely undermined it IMHO.  The Phantom NEEDS to be older not only given his vast array of accomplishments, but also given the fact that Christine needs to confuse him with her father (cf. 'Wandering Child').  Some of the young Phantoms of late sadly lack the air of noble majesty and learnedness that the Phantoms of old had in spades.  Unfortunately this is why, for me personally (though I acknowledge he is popular), Ramin has never really done it for me as the Phantom.  And yes, ALW did justify his casting of Ramin in LND because he thought Ramin was "sexy", it's on a YouTube video interview with ALW.  I find this dumbing down of the material sad.  Apparently ALW decided he agreed with this before the Oz production of LND opened, saying "we can't get away with a 30-year old Phantom", and then we ended up with someone of Ramin's age. I guess none of the seasoned actors ALW might have been seeking wanted to have anything to do with LND? Who knows?

BTW, that's really interesting to hear about Martin Smith's Phantom!  So little seems to be said about it.  I heard about his vocal problems and how they may have been linked to the illness he was having with his lungs or something, but nothing else.  I'd be interested to hear more about his portrayal, as I never saw it.

#49 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

---Just a foot note. Ben Lewis was, I believe, a year younger at 31 than Ramin was when first playing the Phantom in LND.

#50 SimonAitken

SimonAitken

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

Any confirmed touring locations besides Playmouth(sp?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users