Olivia is a wonderful Christine.

#412 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I've wanted to leave a comment in this thread for a long time, but just could not remember my username and password...until this morning.

First of all, I went to see JOJ's last 2 performances in Edinburgh and just could not believe how superhumanly more than perfect his singing was. There is simply no one else who can sing like him, if I may say so.

I agree Olivia is very good. She acts with her heart. Several other POTO fans were commenting how good she was.

Katie's voice was as beautiful as ever, and Simon was a wonderful Raoul as always.

Finally, I was so glad to read the comment about Earl. I totally agree that his acting has something very special about it. It reaches somewhere quite deep in our hearts, doesn't it? He is a 1st class actor and should be more recognised.

#413 mithuru

mithuru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Saw this in Milton Keynes on Thursday and thought it was terrific.  Went with a mixed group, some of whom were completely new to Phantom and everyone loved it.  The staging was so clever, the singing superb and Earl was just a fantastic phantom.  It's made me fall in love with it all over again.  Now, can I stump up for another ticket before it leaves MK on 24 November?

#414 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I saw this in Milton Keynes Nov 23, and had also seen it in Birmigham. I love this production. In fact, I prefer it to the original. The changes in the characters, particularly in that of Raoul, just make the plot make more sense. Olivia was on, and I thought she was wonderful. Also, this was the first time I had seen Earl, and I really thought he was great. Simon, as always , is my favorite Raoul, and I really like the way he stays on stage through the flashback to Hannibal. I saw Phantom on Broadway in September, and really thought this UK tour production has a much better cast. I have not seen the new cast of the original at Her Majesty's, though I have seen Sofia as Christine, but I think it would be hard to beat the touring cast.

#415 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

View Postmusicalover, on 08 December 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

I saw this in Milton Keynes Nov 23, and had also seen it in Birmigham. I love this production. In fact, I prefer it to the original. The changes in the characters, particularly in that of Raoul, just make the plot make more sense

What changes do you mean?
Could you explain why the plot makes more sense with them?

#416 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Saw the opening night in Cardiff last night and the tour has become better than the last time I saw it (June). It has become much tighter and people seem to be more sure of their roles. I would still have some of the same complaints (the production isn't perfect, Katie Hall isn't good enough, some of the supporting cast are a little bored) but overall it is a great production of a brilliant musical.

Earl Carpenter is an incredible Phantom. I never thought I'd enjoy him. I listened to some recordings of him and disliked his voice, but people always said to me "You need to see him to understand" which I thought was rubbish. Then I saw him. His acting is so incredible. His grasp on the character so good. His singing is different to other big Phantoms (JOJ being the obvious example) but then again, The Phantom's voice is supposed to be a "strange, sweet sound." In terms of the tour production, I actually preferred Earl to John (NEVER thought I'd say that) but I think Earl also had the benefit of coming into the tour when the company and director had decided exactly what they were doing so all he had to do was worry about his character.

There are some changes. The change to the end of Act I has been permanently implemented now (thankfully) which makes a better ending than it was originally (though still not as good as The Brilliant Original, obviously). The Music of the Night has been restaged and is much better. He really encourages her to concentrate on the beautiful things in life, which then involves him. He tries to turn her face away, but it is clear that something is going on between them. When she goes to take his mask off (blindfolded) the Phantom takes off her blindfold instead creating a wonderful juxtaposition. Also, he doesn't take her to bed in a rapey way anymore.

The biggest change was the ending. The very end is still the same but the bit just before is different:

***SPOILER***

Before she leaves with Raoul, she threw his music on the floor. Then after she's left, he starts picking it up and putting it in order whilst singing "Masquerade, paper faces on parade..." then she comes back and he sings "Christine I love you" to his music without realising she's stood behind him. She leaves the ring and leaves in silence without him noticing and as they sing "Say you'll share with me..." he turns around, notices the ring shouts "No!" and sings the final line. Then he puts his cape on, Meg comes in followed by the mob, she puts her hands on his shoulders, moves the cape and the cape just collapses to the floor with only the mask left inside.

#417 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I also like the way that Raoul, not in a wheelchair, stands on stage with the beginning of Hannibal. It makes a believable flashback. I also get the slap ; Raoul is trying to convince Christine to do something which frightens her, and which she does not want to do. The timing of the acting is great here too, because, of course, poor Simon, as Raoul, does not get his face slapped 8 and sometimes 9 times a week , LOL!

#418 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

View Postmusicalover, on 12 December 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I also like the way that Raoul, not in a wheelchair, stands on stage with the beginning of Hannibal. It makes a believable flashback. I also get the slap ; Raoul is trying to convince Christine to do something which frightens her, and which she does not want to do. The timing of the acting is great here too, because, of course, poor Simon, as Raoul, does not get his face slapped 8 and sometimes 9 times a week , LOL!

Indeed given he's asking her to risk her life so he can catch the Phantom, when she' s clearly terrified,  Its about time someone slapped him whether she's thought it through or going with her emotions. . Its there in the logic of the story and lyrics and its doable when you have a cast that can play the emotions. . It makes sense without knowing where the relationship will be by LND. The problem is that when you explore the ambiguity thats there, and do something different than before, and make a relationship more ambigous, you are always bound to lose some people along the way. Carry on slapping i say.

#419 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

What are the changes to the end of Act one?

#420 bradyrands

bradyrands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Is there going to be another Phantom on the tour after Earl?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users