#421 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Earl is the final Phantom on the tour.

In terms of the Act I change, it depends when you saw the tour. For the first part of the tour (the change was implemented in the final week of the Bristol run) the end of Act I was less spectacular, with the chandelier kind of miserably "exploding". They changed it so the Phantom comes into Box 5 with a fire stick, shoots it towards the chandelier, the chandelier full on explodes and shakes, part of the set onstage collapses and the act ends with a final (very loud) explosion as the lights black out.

#422 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

As far as I know, it was just Earl and JOJ, so don't think there will be another unless JOJ steps back in. They were sharing the role.

#423 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostABowlerHat, on 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

They changed it so the Phantom comes into Box 5 with a fire stick, shoots it towards the chandelier, the chandelier full on explodes and shakes, part of the set onstage collapses and the act ends with a final (very loud) explosion as the lights black out.

Well that all completely passed me by when I saw the show in Cardiff on Saturday!  Maybe I was distracted by bits of cardboard from the chandelier explosives falling on my head, but I didn't spot the Phantom or see anything collapse on stage.

#424 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostABowlerHat, on 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

the Phantom comes into Box 5 with a fire stick, shoots it towards the chandelier, the chandelier full on explodes and shakes, part of the set onstage collapses and the act ends with a final (very loud) explosion as the lights black out.

Sounds the same as what happened both times I saw it on the first part of the tour in Manchester

#425 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

View PostRichey, on 14 December 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Sounds the same as what happened both times I saw it on the first part of the tour in Manchester

The bang sounded louder in Milton Keynes than in Bristol. People really jumped. But if it serves its purpose in either place the audience won't be looking at the stage or noticing much else  anyway ?

#426 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

It's very similar, the effect is just now "bigger and better".

#427 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostABowlerHat, on 12 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Saw the opening night in Cardiff last night and the tour has become better than the last time I saw it (June). It has become much tighter and people seem to be more sure of their roles. I would still have some of the same complaints (the production isn't perfect, Katie Hall isn't good enough, some of the supporting cast are a little bored) but overall it is a great production of a brilliant musical.

Earl Carpenter is an incredible Phantom. I never thought I'd enjoy him. I listened to some recordings of him and disliked his voice, but people always said to me "You need to see him to understand" which I thought was rubbish. Then I saw him. His acting is so incredible. His grasp on the character so good. His singing is different to other big Phantoms (JOJ being the obvious example) but then again, The Phantom's voice is supposed to be a "strange, sweet sound." In terms of the tour production, I actually preferred Earl to John (NEVER thought I'd say that) but I think Earl also had the benefit of coming into the tour when the company and director had decided exactly what they were doing so all he had to do was worry about his character.

I don't think its a matter of maturing the production. Earl suggests he wanted to do things his way and that's   what they have done.  http://www.walesonli...91466-32377835/  Its a matter of what works better for whoever is watching and what the Phantom  wants to do.  Its obviously an issue  of what you like, probably where you sit, probably what works best in what theatre,  and, as the production changes, it may be different show to show,  and stop to  stop.  When I saw the show in Milton Keynes,  Earl , and some others were suffering from low sound levels, I think,  which didn't help, but  I thought the Phantom was underpowered  for an act and a half,  before bursting into life in Act Two. I wasn't alone as the people around me were also noting that the Phantom seemed less impressive  than Raoul, or Christine, or even Meg. Although its great to have a strong Christine and Raoul who can stand their ground against a top Phantom,  it  may not be a good idea to go for such a  strange sweet sound if people notice how strong (a really good)  Meg sounds  by comparison - even if the contrast works really well at the end. On the other hand,  Cardiff may have been a different show again. Personally,  I liked  JOJ more  - as he  hit both extremes of the emotions harder for me. I liked Earl though,  and will be going to see the tour  again. They have played around a lot with the characters and interactions,  but although its interesting and great  to have a Phantom and Christine who can do it, I don't think change is necessarily always  evolutionary in a positive way. There are real trade offs between continuity and drama each time they decide to follow where some aspect of the script leads. Whats novel, but realistic with the script, does lead to some  people sitting besides me  saying why is he/ now doing that ?  Personally,  I still prefer the perms John or Earl did with Katie in London,  and I think  they got the most emotional audience response there -  but that may also  be because their  vocals and the story in most perms  just work so well in that intimate, aged,  theatre setting.

#428 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

On a different note Simon Bailey, whom I think is one of the best Raoul's ever, has a new album out in which he sings duets with Ramin, Sabrina , and katie, and on which Hadley plays bass! The album is done as a tribute to Simon's late father, and Simon wrote 4 of the songs himself. It can be purchased at Dress Circle or at www.SimonBaileyonline.com.
It's quite reflective, and well worth the 12.99 fee.

#429 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

View Postmusicalover, on 21 December 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

On a different note Simon Bailey, whom I think is one of the best Raoul's ever, has a new album out in which he sings duets with Ramin, Sabrina , and katie, and on which Hadley plays bass! The album is done as a tribute to Simon's late father, and Simon wrote 4 of the songs himself. It can be purchased at Dress Circle or at www.SimonBaileyonline.com.

I second this, I think it's an excellent album. Very moving, and a lovely thing for Simon to have done in tribute to his father.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#430 Brujon

Brujon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postmusicalover, on 21 December 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

lovely album indeed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users