The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostBricabrac, on 10 December 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

What changes do you mean?
Could you explain why the plot makes more sense with them?

Couldn't disagree more with musicallover's comment. I thought the storytelling in this production was extremely patchy and a lot of it didn't make sense. Why, for instance, would the Phantom be giving private music lessons in a communal dressing room? Why would Raoul remember a rehearsal he never attended? If Raoul is able to pin the Phantom to the wall in 'Wandering Child', why not finish the job? Why does the Phantom call Christine a 'prying pandora' when it's hardly her fault he decided to unmask himself in the same room as her? What on earth is remotely grotesque or terrifying about the Phantom in 'Why So Silent'?

The original production is superior in every way. Yes, the tour cast are much stronger, but in terms of production values and intelligence, the tour is second-rate.

#432 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

I am no fan of the musical myself but I can recognise that there are some changes in this production that either did or did not work. Do these instantly make this production bad. No it does not. If there is a reason why this should be seen, it would be to see Earl Carpenter's emotive Phantom and a lovely performance from alternate Olivia Brereton as Christine Daae.

High Matinee

http://shallicompare...era-review.html

If I would throw in my two cents on the changes, whilst the end of act 1 was disappointing (nothing fell from the chandelier), I thought the production team nicely replicated the overture as much as they could. The chandelier was brought down so that it would crackle into life a few metres above our heads, before it slowly rose back up to the ceiling amidst some flashing lights.

Edited by David J, 20 February 2013 - 06:23 AM.

My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#433 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

View PostDavid J, on 19 February 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

and a lovely performance from understudy Olivia Brereton as Christine Daae.

She's not understudy, she's alternate.

#434 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostABowlerHat, on 20 February 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

She's not understudy, she's alternate.

Thanks
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#435 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Does Olivia have a regular performance scheduled (e.g. every Saturday Matinee)? I'll be seeing the POTO UK Tour in Birmingham on the Monday before Rent UK Tour...
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

#436 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

She used to be on on Mondays.

#437 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostJohn_Rebus, on 20 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Does Olivia have a regular performance scheduled (e.g. every Saturday Matinee)? I'll be seeing the POTO UK Tour in Birmingham on the Monday before Rent UK Tour...

It changes from venue to venue.

#438 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I saw the tour in Milton Keynes with Earl and the alternate Olivia. There were many things I loved about the new production, but also many things I hate. I loved the new Phantom of the Opera. One thing which has always bugged me about the London production, is how that scene is done. There were more things I disliked though, for example the Music of the Night.. hated it. The dancing thing with Christine blindfolded... and "stranger than you dream it". When we saw it, the Phantom was already unmasked, he even turns around and acknowledges Christine is there, and then when she touched him on the shoulder, he freaked out? I just didn't get it...

All of the cast was really amazing though. Especially Earl and Olivia. The woman who played Carlotta was just amazing too - she was really funny. I hope she comes to the west end as I'd like to see her again.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#439 KieranJ

KieranJ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Caught the show tonight - after reading some of the comments on here I wasn't so sure about the touring version but I loved it. Far exceeded my expectations. Now playing on it's final leg of the tour at Birmingham Hippodrome.

#440 coddy92

coddy92

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Saw Phantom at the Birmingham Hippodrome last night (Mon 1st April) and it was fantastic! The new sets are amazing...very impressive for a tour production!

Earl and Katie were both performing, so Olivia may have a different alternate performance 'day' for this leg of the tour...although there is an extra performance today so she could well be performing that. Earl and Katie were spot on...their voices were spine-chilling! The actress playing Carlotta (Angela M. Caesar) was great too- she definitely deserves to reprise her role in London!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users