#441 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

View Postcoddy92, on 02 April 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

Saw Phantom at the Birmingham Hippodrome last night (Mon 1st April) and it was fantastic! The new sets are amazing...very impressive for a tour production!

Earl and Katie were both performing, so Olivia may have a different alternate performance 'day' for this leg of the tour...although there is an extra performance today so she could well be performing that. Earl and Katie were spot on...their voices were spine-chilling! The actress playing Carlotta (Angela M. Caesar) was great too- she definitely deserves to reprise her role in London!

Olivia seems to be off/holidaying? from her twitter? They  would be mad not to let the  London audience see/properly see  the tour leads, if they are willing and able ... i might then  go regularly again to London -  instead of going off on train rides to far away places to catch some tour stops..

#442 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

It would be great to see Olivia in the London production!

#443 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

I'm pretty astonished at any "cheap" comments about this production. It's fairly epic for a touring show & the sets / automation must have cost a lot. They are extremely impressive & the revolving ever-changing centre piece is incredible. I've been twice in Birmingham and went once in Milton Keynes. The end if Act I felt far more impressive in Birmingham. Having sat under the chandelier, I was surprised to have faux-glass scattered over me at the end of act I. The stage set demolished more too.
Cast were impeccable & staging is much more contemporary & straightforward from a storytelling perspective.
Lavish & impressive.

#444 SSB

SSB

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Earl is quite simply astounding!

#445 bradyrands

bradyrands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

View Postconnorclarke2007, on 22 September 2011 - 10:17 AM, said:

Ah I see. I only commented on those you mentioned. My favourite was the wonderful Martin Smith. I remember being blown away by how sensitive his performance was and vocally spot on the times I saw it ( despite hearing he was "let go" due to vocal inconsistency).

Not too sure but I think that the phrase "young and sexy" phantom came from ALW or Cameron in an interview about Ramin being the youngest in the UK to play it and how he's redifined the role for future casting. I might be going mad though!
IMO give me a slightly older, more solid man as the Phantom any day - more believable given the things hes supposed to have achieved in his years - architect, musician, and definitely more sadder to watch as Christine goes for the "pretty boy"! I like Ramin, but I often wonder how LND might have progressed with older actors as the leads who visibly looked ten years older and wiser. Would be interesting.

Interesting about Martin Smith as the vocally spot on part completely rivals most reports on his performance in the role. He was actually very commonly out from the role, with Dave Willetts, Peter Karrie and James Paterson frequently alternating as understudies, its very possible you caught one of them in the role, most likely Dave, do correct me if I'm wrong though. It was after Martin took several weeks rest from the role and returned to the same vocal troubles that they had (or so I was told) a mutual agreement that it was best he pull out from the show. And yes, he did have the illness that would eventually kill him at this time, he actually asked Cameron Mackintosh if he could play the Phantom, kind of like a dying wish. Sadly he just wasn't vocally right for the role.

#446 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

ive never understood the too young aspect of ramin (surely nic greenshields was younger than ramin anyway), you cant see the face. the sexyness comes from the attitude, the movement etc. for me ramin is one of the best (sadly for me, earl who ive loved in everything else, makes an average phantom)

the lnf however yes they were noticibly younger, not helped by the change in the phantoms look and also christine looking so young

#447 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Just returned to my hotel room after seeing this tonight at Birmingham. Katie Hall was off, but I thought Olivia Brereton did a great job as Christine. Her "Wishing you were somehow here again" was my highlight of the show. Hopefully she'll get to play that part in the West End (or any other role...) I was a bit indecisive about Earl Carpenter - he was just OK in the first act, but much stronger in the second act. Neither did I like his "Music of the Night" that much. But perhaps I was just expecting too much after reading some reviews... Simon Bailey was also good, but sometimes looked a bit too young to actually be a Viscount.

The show began approx.10 min late and quite suddenly as no "welcome, turn your phones off, recording is the most evil thing (only second to wearing white shoes after labour day ;))" speech was played. The Hippodrome is a really nice theatre, great view from my Stalls row G centre seat, quite comfy seats and - even more important - enough leg room.

I absolutely loved the new set and staging. The way down to the Phantom's hideout with the stairs moving out of the wall and the Phantom's actual hideout was pretty impressive (even more when you think it's a touring production). Also loved the chandelier effect at the end of act 1 - sat more or less right under it. Even though the last time I saw Phantom was roughly 2.5 years ago in the West End, I actually preferred the touring set to the West End one.
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#448 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

The reason for the sudden start and lack of announcement at the start of the show is that the impression is supposed to be given that you are entering the Opera Populaire and thus the atmosphere would be ruined by a "switch your phones off" announcement, though it is very annoying to see a sea of mobile phones as soon as the lights go down as everyone rushes to switch them off/silent!

#449 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Sounds logical, but don't they play announcements on Broadway and in the West End?
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#450 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

No idea sorry, have only seen this production! I'm sure someone will be able to provide an answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users