32 replies to this topic

#1 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Has anyone on this forum been to this theatre? Quite curious what it's like and thinking about trying to go to Danger! Memory before it finishes on Saturday.

#2 Guest_The Suburbanite_*

Guest_The Suburbanite_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

Been twice. It's a cosy little auditorium with 2 blocks of seats at right-angles to each other. I enjoyed both the productions I saw, but decided not to return as on both occasions I had problems with having my seats changed with no warning and for no clear reason (one other person on this board said it happened to them as well), they messed up the card transaction on one of them, and the attitude of the woman I spoke to stank when I queried the unexplained seat changes.

That said, it has a loyal following, so people clearly like it. I'd say, give it a go. Just make sure you know exactly where you're seated, and avoid the far left of the back rows of the 'main' block, as part of the stage is obscured by a wall. (It was the far rear corner seat I got moved into after having booked the front row of the side block!).

#3 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

View Postvickster51, on 21 July 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Has anyone on this forum been to this theatre? Quite curious what it's like and thinking about trying to go to Danger! Memory before it finishes on Saturday.

I enjoy going to London fringe shows- went here in 2009 to see Jet Set Go. Can't remember any problems with seat- remember that the theatre was tiny. There was no stage and the performers disappeared through a door between scenes. It created an intimate experience as the performers were so close to us.
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#4 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

There is a problem with the second row on the main block.  Your feet don't reach the floor or any type of rest so they hang uncomfortably in mid-air: not great if the show's any length.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

View PostSchuttep, on 23 August 2011 - 10:31 AM, said:

There is a problem with the second row on the main block.  Your feet don't reach the floor or any type of rest so they hang uncomfortably in mid-air: not great if the show's any length.
Both times we have been there we were in the second row!  Loved both shows and it felt rather nice that my feet didn't touch the ground  Posted Image
I managed to hook my legs on to some floor for part of the show!

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

View PostSchuttep, on 23 August 2011 - 10:31 AM, said:

Is that still the case? I thought they'd had a refurb so all the seats had access to the floor. I think that used to be the reason why they did so many seat-changes so as to alloacate those seats (which really were the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in) to unsuspecting newbies.

#7 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 30 August 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

Is that still the case? I thought they'd had a refurb so all the seats had access to the floor. I think that used to be the reason why they did so many seat-changes so as to alloacate those seats (which really were the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in) to unsuspecting newbies.

Yes, I sat there recently for Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered, I couldn't touch the floor! But like the intimate atmosphere of that little space, and have enjoyed a few things there - my favourite being The Kissing Dance.

Its kind of weird though, having to cross the stage to go to the loo 'backstage'!

#8 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

[I managed to hook my legs on to some floor for part of the show!]

PaulT, you must be a lot taller than me. I'm only 5' 11''.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostSchuttep, on 30 August 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

[I managed to hook my legs on to some floor for part of the show!]

PaulT, you must be a lot taller than me. I'm only 5' 11''.

I am 5' 11" too!
The 'PART' of the floor that I managed to hook my legs on was the tiny ledge that the seat was screwed to (on the level with the floor of the row behind)!
I was used to sitting like that after years of infant school teaching and sitting on tiny chairs and tucking my legs under them!

#10 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 30 August 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

No, they are still terrible, worst I've ever sat in in a non-temporary theatre. And crossing the stage to get to the toilets is OK, but coming back again is the problem, one guy got a round of applause for his trouble last time I was there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users