• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Does anyone else think that Rachel was fantastic tonight?  I was totally blown away by her performance.  The contrast between last week and this week is stunning.  She has shown warmth, fun and emotion.  I now totally want her to win!!!!!!!!

#2 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 24 2008, 08:05 PM) View Post
Does anyone else think that Rachel was fantastic tonight?  I was totally blown away by her performance.  The contrast between last week and this week is stunning.  She has shown warmth, fun and emotion.  I now totally want her to win!!!!!!!!

No

#3 Guest_Monty_*

Guest_Monty_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 24 2008, 07:05 PM) View Post

I agree with you, Rachel was fantastic.  She should win

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

Yes, I thought Rachel's performance was fabulous

#5 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

Sorry - but I thought it was a huge error of judgement to change the lyrics

Cabaret is one of my favourite shows and this was a very poor interpretation of a classic number

#6 Guest_Agog_*

Guest_Agog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

OH OXFORD SIMON GET OVER IT!!!!! She's not in Cabaret she's doing the song IN A TALENT SHOW!!

#7 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

She should still do the song justice

#8 Guest_West End Actor_*

Guest_West End Actor_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

I think you'll find she did the song more than just "doing it justice", Rachel is the person for the job, she is the best overall, always has the best comments on the results show for her acting. Tell me isn't the part of NAncy more of an acting role than a singing one? And can you honestly tell me that Jodie can act this part??? No. From some one who has been in this busness for some tme the general consent fro mthe West End is for Rachel to do the role and she has the best quality and voice to carry this role and the acting ability. Also you'll always be sure to see Rachel in the role as she has the stamina.

You may not like that but it's the truth and if the West End are behing this girl i would have to say that their opinion is worth remebering. The show is manipulated into the making the public see and think in different ways and if your not in this profession then you are likely to believe what the show dictates to us, have we really got to see the real Rachel??? I think not, to me most of the camera time goes to Jodie, which was apparent on the Paul O'Grady show, the others girls had to fight to get heard! I knida hope in a wired way Rachel does go this week and on to bigger and better things than being tarnished with the Nancy role all her life, just look at Connie?

Sorry to rant but had to say something after reading you all your comments, i've kept quite for so long! Sorry

#9 Glinda172xxx

Glinda172xxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

she was brillliant-always has been

she should win...but she wont

#10 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:35 PM

I do not doubt that there are West End professionals who are behind Rachel

But I doubt it is the entire West End

I stand by my belief that Rachel did not do a good job on Cabaret - it felt forced and her decision to change the lyrics was not going to endear her to the voting public.  The reaction that Seamus got last year when he attempted a similar stunt should have given her a clue.

I have no doubt that she is a good all-round professional - but I never found myself able to warm to her performances.  I am not swayed by the panel - I make up my own mind based on what I see and hear.

The impression I have of her is that she is reliable, entirely competent and would deliver - but seemed to find it hard to connect through the medium of television.  I know that this not directly related to her ability to connect with a live theatre audience - but it is all the voting public has to go on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users