- - - - -

Rachel's Performance Tonight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Kerry_*

Guest_Kerry_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

West End Actor... I am glad you made the comment about Rachel not getting shackled with Nancy.  I hope she reads these comments after she stops being depressed.  I actually cried when Sir Andrew chose one-note Samantha (I mean in terms of her acting) over Rachel.

I do not have a clue why the judges seem hell-bent on sabotaging their own show.  (Jessie and Sam really do lack the age and experience to pull the part off in terms of their emotional range).  I've been a professional director and an acting teacher for years and as we got to the final 4, the audition was pretty much over to my mind.  

Now I'm going for Jodie.  She needs some work, but I think she's at least a sympathetic Nancy and she has an excellent vocal quality. (The ability to cry on command should not be underrated; the public love it!)

#22 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 24 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post
Sorry - but I thought it was a huge error of judgement to change the lyrics

Cabaret is one of my favourite shows and this was a very poor interpretation of a classic number

#23 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

My God some of these comments are soooooo irritating!!!! A lot of people giving opinions but not having a clue what they are wittering on about! I totally agree with the comments made by ...west end actor..... Rachel should not have left the competition tonight, there is no way the Sam should have stayed, there must be another agenda as Sam most definately hasn't got the depth to play Nancy. Defying Gravity last week lacked so much and she should never have sung it - an arrogant choice of song, no character and misinterpreted. Rachel is the professional and would have been the perfect choice but ALW has quite possibly done her a favour as she will now get work and not just be known for the girl who won Nancy. Jodie will obviously now be voted by the public to win but at least she has some depth and character.

#24 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Beth @ May 25 2008, 08:59 PM) View Post
My God some of these comments are soooooo irritating!!!! A lot of people giving opinions but not having a clue what they are wittering on about!

What, so because they aren't big West End producers they aren't allowed to express an opinion? So much for it being "the people's Nancy".

#25 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 24 2008, 10:35 PM) View Post
I do not doubt that there are West End professionals who are behind Rachel

But I doubt it is the entire West End

I stand by my belief that Rachel did not do a good job on Cabaret - it felt forced and her decision to change the lyrics was not going to endear her to the voting public.  The reaction that Seamus got last year when he attempted a similar stunt should have given her a clue.

I have no doubt that she is a good all-round professional - but I never found myself able to warm to her performances.  I am not swayed by the panel - I make up my own mind based on what I see and hear.

The impression I have of her is that she is reliable, entirely competent and would deliver - but seemed to find it hard to connect through the medium of television.  I know that this not directly related to her ability to connect with a live theatre audience - but it is all the voting public has to go on.

How annoying are you Simon!! It annoys the hell out of me that you seem to have based your negative opinion because she changed a word! I wasn't too chuffed that she changed the word myself but it was such an excellent performance that I am over it!

#26 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

Rachel's rendition of As Long As He Needs Me is the best I've heard from anyone being knocked out.  Just shows what Cameron Mackintosh is missing out on.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#27 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(rona910 @ May 25 2008, 08:02 PM) View Post
What, so because they aren't big West End producers they aren't allowed to express an opinion? So much for it being "the people's Nancy".

Of course people should express opinions! I am expressing mine!! I am just really irritated at tonights decision - it doesn't make any sense!

#28 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(angelfan @ May 25 2008, 08:12 PM) View Post
Rachel's rendition of As Long As He Needs Me is the best I've heard from anyone being knocked out.  Just shows what Cameron Mackintosh is missing out on.

I totally agree!! She was professional to the end! I am fairly certain that Cameron Macintosh realises the talent and she will have a leading part very soon!!

#29 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Beth @ May 25 2008, 08:59 PM) View Post
My God some of these comments are soooooo irritating!!!! A lot of people giving opinions but not having a clue what they are wittering on about! I totally agree with the comments made by ...west end actor..... Rachel should not have left the competition tonight, there is no way the Sam should have stayed, there must be another agenda as Sam most definately hasn't got the depth to play Nancy. Defying Gravity last week lacked so much and she should never have sung it - an arrogant choice of song, no character and misinterpreted. Rachel is the professional and would have been the perfect choice but ALW has quite possibly done her a favour as she will now get work and not just be known for the girl who won Nancy. Jodie will obviously now be voted by the public to win but at least she has some depth and character.

Thank you Beth!!!  Nothing more to be said.  I am actually flabbergasted that ALW chose a 17-year-old with no emotional depth over a 26-year-old with a lot of experienced and a fantastic actress!  I major error of judgement I feel.  Samantha is lovely and a great performer but her constant teenage head to one side and then the other dance move and her endless smiling - whatever song she is singing - has really begun to irritate me.  She was even grinning at Rachel all the way through her performance of 'as long as he needs me'!!  Very insensitive.

#30 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(angelfan @ May 25 2008, 09:12 PM) View Post
Rachel's rendition of As Long As He Needs Me is the best I've heard from anyone being knocked out. Just shows what Cameron Mackintosh is missing out on.

Agreed, I thought her exit was absolutely stunning.  Very gracious, professional and heartfelt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users