Rachel's Performance Tonight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 25 2008, 08:41 PM) View Post
Thank you Beth!!!  Nothing more to be said.  I am actually flabbergasted that ALW chose a 17-year-old with no emotional depth over a 26-year-old with a lot of experienced and a fantastic actress!  I major error of judgement I feel.  Samantha is lovely and a great performer but her constant teenage head to one side and then the other dance move and her endless smiling - whatever song she is singing - has really begun to irritate me.  She was even grinning at Rachel all the way through her performance of 'as long as he needs me'!!  Very insensitive.

Very insensitive - she was smiling at her as she removed the necklace! Nice!! I have no issues with any of the girls they are all talented but individual and suited to certain roles, the decision tonight might have something to do with the casting of Bill Sykes, apparantly Burn Gorman from Torchwood.

#32 Guest_jan donaldson_*

Guest_jan donaldson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

What an astonishing result.  My first reaction was to say I would not watch it next week.  I then realised that I was allowing myself to take it too seriously.  I am more than every convinced of the fact that there was no way Andrew Lloyd Webber was prepared to allow another  seasoned pro to win the competition and this has interfered with his sense of fair play.    Up until these week I had voted for Jessie.  However, her simpering has started to get to me.   I am a little sick of her constantly asking the panel what she can do to improve. Her problem is she hasn't improved in several weeks.  She is competing for a role which hundreds of hard working young actresses would love to have.  If, as is clear,  she needs to hone her art is should be in rep or amateur dramatics not on the West End stage.  She informed us last night that she had been turned down by two drama schools.    So we are left with three people two of whom would, I believe, be incapable of giving 8 peformances a week even if they has the degree of talent and acting ability to do so.  I don't think the description of Jody is kind but her size does, in my opinion, impair her ability to move well.   It should be remembered Nancy has to do quite a bit of dancing -  quite graceful in the "I'd do anything' number and spirited in ''Fine Life' and 'Oompahpah' - sorry can't spell that!

It is an endearing quality of the British to vote for the underdog, ie the one the judges criticise,  the one who has had a hard life or the one who simpers prettily and talks like Molly Malone.   In this instance it has backfired and a deprived the most suitable Nancy of the role.

Shame on you Andrew..  

Best of luck in the future, Rachel.  I will look out for you.

#33 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(jan donaldson @ May 25 2008, 09:05 PM) View Post
I am more than every convinced of the fact that there was no way Andrew Lloyd Webber was prepared to allow another  seasoned pro to win the competition and this has interfered with his sense of fair play.

It hasn't just interfered with his sense of fair play. I think that sentence should end at the word "sense". I am so glad Sam's grin irritates someone else besides me. The competition is left with only Jodie now who could handle the role. I don't think she's ideal but I am sure she would do a good job.

#34 Guest_Guest_sarah_*_*

Guest_Guest_sarah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(Guest_George_* @ May 25 2008, 09:37 PM) View Post
It hasn't just interfered with his sense of fair play. I think that sentence should end at the word "sense". I am so glad Sam's grin irritates someone else besides me. The competition is left with only Jodie now who could handle the role. I don't think she's ideal but I am sure she would do a good job.

#35 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE(Beth @ May 25 2008, 09:56 PM) View Post
[Samantha] Very insensitive - she was smiling at her as she removed the necklace!

I took that as a friendly smile rather than "Some you win, some you lose. I won, you lost." Other people who have won the sing-off have behaved in similar ways. Had it been Jessie in the sing-off with Rachel I suspect that when it came to removing the necklace she'd have licked the tip of her finger and written an imaginary "one" in the air.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#36 Guest_Guest_Thatguyp_*_*

Guest_Guest_Thatguyp_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:10 AM

What an astonishing result.  My first reaction was to say I would not watch it next week.  I then realised that I was allowing myself to take it too seriously.  I am more than every convinced of the fact that there was no way Andrew Lloyd Webber was prepared to allow another  seasoned pro to win the competition and this has interfered with his sense of fair play.    Up until these week I had voted for Jessie.  However, her simpering has started to get to me.   I am a little sick of her constantly asking the panel what she can do to improve. Her problem is she hasn't improved in several weeks.  She is competing for a role which hundreds of hard working young actresses would love to have.  If, as is clear,  she needs to hone her art is should be in rep or amateur dramatics not on the West End stage.  She informed us last night that she had been turned down by two drama schools.    So we are left with three people two of whom would, I believe, be incapable of giving 8 peformances a week even if they has the degree of talent and acting ability to do so.  I don't think the description of Jody is kind but her size does, in my opinion, impair her ability to move well.   It should be remembered Nancy has to do quite a bit of dancing -  quite graceful in the "I'd do anything' number and spirited in ''Fine Life' and 'Oompahpah' - sorry can't spell that!

It is an endearing quality of the British to vote for the underdog, ie the one the judges criticise,  the one who has had a hard life or the one who simpers prettily and talks like Molly Malone.   In this instance it has backfired and a deprived the most suitable Nancy of the role.

Shame on you Andrew..  

Molly Malone lived and worked in 'Dublin's Fair City', with an accent that is about as similar to Jessie's as Angela Ripon's is to Cilla Black's!  

#37 Guest_Guest_sally_*_*

Guest_Guest_sally_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ May 26 2008, 05:24 AM) View Post
I took that as a friendly smile rather than "Some you win, some you lose. I won, you lost." Other people who have won the sing-off have behaved in similar ways. Had it been Jessie in the sing-off with Rachel I suspect that when it came to removing the necklace she'd have licked the tip of her finger and written an imaginary "one" in the air.

I took it as a friendly smile too. You could se Rachel really was singing her heart out and I thought Sam was smiling at her as if to say "you go girl". Jessie annoyed the hell out of me last night. PLEASE don't let her win!!

#38 Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 24 2008, 09:20 PM) View Post
She should still do the song justice

Are you sure you were watching the same program ? She did more then do the song justice she took it to another level. It was an amazing performance. I think it the first time as well that anyone got a standing ovation from the panel.

I think you are out of tune with everyone else with this.

#39 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

Shame on you Andrew..  

I completely and utterly agree with everything you have said, my first reaction was the same as there seems no point in watching next week as it is now a one horse race, but I'm sure I will watch it and stop taking this too seriously! It is just a same that the person who could have given the part justice is out! The girls are all talented and have done so well but it seems that the success/quality of the show has been put into jeopardy purely on a personality/rags to riches choice.

#40 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

Did you not notice Rachel holding Sam's hand and smiling back as Sam took the necklace? Do you not think that if Sam had been smiling in a "haha, sucker" kind of way Rachel would have possibly reacted a little differently...like maybe slapped her?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users