808 replies to this topic

#1 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3330 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:41 AM

The Les Mis movie will start shooting February 2012 in London.

Paul Bettany and Russle Crowe are being rumoured for Javert. Hugh Jackman is now confirmed for 24601.

The film will not be sung through like the stage show, there will now be dialogue and songs.

#2 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:13 AM

Oh I was enjoyed that read until 'The film will not be sung through like the stage show, there will now be dialogue and songs.'. Ooooooh dear.

May I be the first to say....if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#3 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:32 AM

Having dialogue makes sense for a film, I can't really see a film version of Les Mis working though - it's a bit too theatrical.

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

Will replacing the sung through bits with dialogue help to reduce the running time?

Has Cameron Mackintosh produced other films?

http://www.guardian....-les-miserables

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

I always liked Les Mis because it was sung-through, not in spite of it, and I can't help but think while they'll make it easier for themselves to adapt it by replacing songs with dialogue, it'll lose its essence and the dialogue will feel out of place as a result. The music is what ties it all together and you often get the complaint with people who are new to musical theatre, i.e. the kind of audience they want for the film, that 'people randomly sing a song'. In sung-through musicals, the entire thing is set to music, so you never ask that question, it's part of the narrative frame.

#6 Guest_Cactus_*

Guest_Cactus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

View PostGuest, on 22 July 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

I always liked Les Mis because it was sung-through, not in spite of it, and I can't help but think while they'll make it easier for themselves to adapt it by replacing songs with dialogue, it'll lose its essence and the dialogue will feel out of place as a result. The music is what ties it all together and you often get the complaint with people who are new to musical theatre, i.e. the kind of audience they want for the film, that 'people randomly sing a song'. In sung-through musicals, the entire thing is set to music, so you never ask that question, it's part of the narrative frame.
Sorry, forgot to add the name, can't log on at the moment.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 22 July 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

Oh I was enjoyed that read until 'The film will not be sung through like the stage show, there will now be dialogue and songs.'. Ooooooh dear.

Amen to this.  I had exactly the same thought.  This is the reason that virtually all of these films are a disappointment -- no one trusts the material.  I honestly can't see how adding dialogue makes any more sense of a musical on film -- they still need to sing at some point.

I know this is premature, but I have a sinking feeling about this one...  Feels like Rent all over again, where they made exactly the same mistake (and lots of others).

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 22 July 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

It's not going to be the Les Mis we know and love then is it?

I can see all the main songs being sung and the rest as dialogue. Just for the sake of what - a broader audience?  Dreadful idea.

#9 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

I am not surprised by this news. I've always thought that the main reason Les Mis would not work on film is because it is sung through, and the hardest part of any attempt to make it was always going to be finding a balance between music and dialogue.
Blood Brothers, Chicago, End of the Rainbow, Ghost, Hair, Hairspray (UK Tour), Legally Blonde X2, Les MisÚrables X3, The Lion King, Matilda, The Phantom of the Opera, Spamalot (UK Tour), Sister Act, Sweeney Todd (Chichester), We Will Rock You, Wicked X3

#10 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

I may be the only one but I think it's a good idea to replace some songs with spoken dialogue.  I can see some solo numbers being fantastically good for a movie, i.e. for "Stars" and "On my own" I can totally see Javert and Eponine wandering alone through a nightly Paris while they sing and it will work fine; ditto I could see "I dreamed a dream" working with some flashbacks during the song in which we actually see Fantine with her loverboy.  

But there are some "sung dialogue" bits that just about work on stage but would be cringingly bad on screen, for example the discussion between the Thenadiers and Valjean following "Master of the House" when they "sell" Cosette to him, the part before "Red and Black" kicks in, Cosette confronting Valjean in "In my life", bits like that.  Sung-through musicals like "Phantom", "Rent" and "Sweeney Todd" suffered far more in their cinematic adaptions than musicals with spoken dialogues such as "Hairspray" and "Mamma mia".  Just my thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users