808 replies to this topic

#11 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

Ok, I'm not feeling as disappointed about this as I should be. I've already been in a situation where an installment of a series I love, had left out the core element of that series, which I hated

As I've already mentioned, a big problem with this film adaptation is the length. So, the obvious option is to cut down the songs, but as I've already mentioned, even the minor songs make an impact on the story. "Turning", to me, makes a sad conclusion to the issue about fighting for freedom.

If Tom Hooper can bring in writers who can write scenes that are similar to the songs, and keep the messages they make, that will be great; though I should think that they won't be able to replicate the same impact that the music and songs make. If ever, I hope that Tom uses the same writers from the Kings Speech, because I loved those scenes where "Bertie" and Lionel were just talking

On another note, I hope the moment between the Last Battle and the Sewers is kept in. I can just imagine it being filmed in one long shot, like the one in "Atonement".
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#12 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

A sung through musical film hasn't been attempted since Evita has it?

A lot of people couldn't cope with that "constant singing", the phillistines!!

Obviously not musical theatre goers!

Even Dreamgirls which on stage is I think is 75% sung through, was drastically reduced for the film.

#13 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

What about the phantom film, i thought the stage version was sung through, is the singing in the film reduced much?

#14 Guest_AY_*

Guest_AY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

From what I remember of the Phantom movie some things that are sung in the show were spoken in the film some of "Angel of Music" "Little Lotte" and Raoul and Christine's part in "Masquerade" are the ones that spring to mind.

#15 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Sweeney Todd?

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Sweeney Todd was never through sung

#17 Danilo

Danilo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

View PostDavid J, on 22 July 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, I'm not feeling as disappointed about this as I should be. I've already been in a situation where an installment of a series I love, had left out the core element of that series, which I hated

As I've already mentioned, a big problem with this film adaptation is the length. So, the obvious option is to cut down the songs, but as I've already mentioned, even the minor songs make an impact on the story. "Turning", to me, makes a sad conclusion to the issue about fighting for freedom.

If Tom Hooper can bring in writers who can write scenes that are similar to the songs, and keep the messages they make, that will be great; though I shoild think that they won't be able to replicate the same impact that the music and songs make. If ever, I hope that Tom uses the same writers from the Kings Speech, because I loved those scenes where "Bertie" and Lionel were just talking

On another note, I hope the moment between the Last Battle and the Sewers is kept in. I can just imagine it being filmed in one long shot, like the one in "Atonement".

Isn't William Nicholson the screenwriter for this? A huge fan of his - Gladiator and Shadowlands being two of his most well known.

As long as they don't do what they did in some bits of the horrible Phantom film and virtually have the actors speak sections of the lyrics.

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

View PostAY, on 22 July 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

From what I remember of the Phantom movie some things that are sung in the show were spoken in the film some of "Angel of Music" "Little Lotte" and Raoul and Christine's part in "Masquerade" are the ones that spring to mind.

The Phantom film was an abomination. Just make Les Mis as it and don't let Joel Schumacher or Alan Parker anywhere near it.

#19 Guest_achilles_*

Guest_achilles_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:03 PM

Oh, was the film of Sweeney Todd a musical. Hard to tell from the abysmal singing and abysmal direction. Don't you hate it when such pieces feel as if they are apologizing for being a musical, instead of embracing the artifice and celebrating it.

#20 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

Can Russell Crowe even sing?  Because if not at least we're used to Pierce Brosnan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users