#21 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 23 July 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

Can Russell Crowe even sing?  Because if not at least we're used to Pierce Brosnan.

Russell Crowe does sing, but his voice type is a far cry from what is required of Javert. Look him up on YouTube if you haven't heard him, there's tons of videos of him singing. To be fair, Pierce Brosnan is probably a better singer than him!
Blood Brothers, Chicago, End of the Rainbow, Ghost, Hair, Hairspray (UK Tour), Legally Blonde X2, Les MisÚrables X3, The Lion King, Matilda, The Phantom of the Opera, Spamalot (UK Tour), Sister Act, Sweeney Todd (Chichester), We Will Rock You, Wicked X3

#22 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Sheryl Crow as Eponine anyone?

#23 Guest_Cactus_*

Guest_Cactus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 23 July 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Sheryl Crow as Eponine anyone?
Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet. At least I'm hoping it's sarcasm when someone suggests a 50 year old woman for a maybe 18 year old girl.

#24 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread but I don't have time this morning to read the whole thread...

I have no problem with them inserting dialogue as long as they don't do what they did with Phantom and use bits of lyrics as dialogue... it sounds stupid.

The 'book' needs to be re-written to create spoken dialogue instead of spoken lyrics, which always sound and feel clunky as (most of us) are used to them being attached to music.

#25 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Baz mentioned in the Daily Mail that he reckons ultimately Paul Bettany will get Javert over Russell Crowe....can HE sing? Reading up on Wikipedia, it said he used to play guitar and busk, but I don't think those are the special requirements asked for Javert :P

It may be just me, but I actually think Crowe looks much more like a Javert than Bettany does, but personally I think singing should take priority, especially for Les Mis. But then again - if I may contradict myself - will they go for looks more, now that it will not be sung through? Who knows!...
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#26 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm also dubious about Paul Bettany's singing ability and can't find anything out about it.

One thing he does have over Russell Crowe is that he is very tall and height wise he could certainly match up to Hugh Jackman when threatening him.  Crowe is very short.

#27 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

View Postsandeman, on 23 July 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'm also dubious about Paul Bettany's singing ability and can't find anything out about it.
It may be in his genes.  "His maternal grandmother, Olga Gwynne Kettle, married a pianist and has a successful career as a singer in musical theater," according to the Paul Bettany trivia on aceshowbiz.com.

#28 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

So, some folks over on twitter seem to think we've got ourselves a Mme. T in the shape of Helena Bonham Carter and a Fantine in the shape of Anne Hathaway!

Nothing confirmed yet of course, but are we happy if this is true??...
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#29 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 31 August 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

So, some folks over on twitter seem to think we've got ourselves a Mme. T in the shape of Helena Bonham Carter and a Fantine in the shape of Anne Hathaway!

Nothing confirmed yet of course, but are we happy if this is true??...

HBC as Madame Thenardier - yes, can't think of anyone better!

Anne Hathaway as Fantine - no, not happy with that one.  I wasn't impressed with her singing Somebody to Love in Ella Enchanted (no real emotion or passion, which is definitely possible when you listen to Sabrina Aloueche, Amanda Coutts, Sarah French, Hannah Jane Fox etc sing that song), and that makes me seriously doubt that she'll be able to bring across the passion and emotion that I Dreamed a Dream needs.  I don't mind her as an actress, her voice isn't bad, but I don't think she can work the two together well enough to play Fantine.  That part really needs the likes of Lea Salonga, preferably someone who's played the part well before.  I know Anne Hathaway is stage trained, but she's never done a big Broadway show.  I almost wish she'd done the Phantom movie so we'd have something to judge her capabilities from....

#30 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

I'm not to worried that it won't be sung through like the show. Look at Rent stage to film, it worked fine. Casting rumours sound good too. Fingers crossed they don't get the Jonas child back!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users