808 replies to this topic

#481 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I always find premature judgement, as such, either way, a bit surprising (and not in a good way), but in this case it has really been more like optimism in anticipation. And I have to admit to sharing some of the rising expectations re Tom Hooper's epic. And those expectations seem to be bearing fruit. Who else has read some of the reports after the New York screenings? Tom Hooper et al have apparently been working like Trojans to get the film together in time for the Oscar race. And after having finished it literally only the day before, so he is quoted as saying, Top Hooper presented the finished product to the selected audience in New York. And the response was apparently HUGE!

I love a quote seen that "Universal have just released the 800 pound gorilla into the Oscar race!". And Tom Hooper is quoted re wondering what the strange sound was during the screening, only to then realise that it was the sound of an audience crying en masse.,,,,,,,,, Wow!,,,,,,,, What a tribute! And how often has that ever happened?

It is going to be a very interesting Oscar race this year. There are some great films there, although I previously  thought Lincoln probably the likely winner on subject matter alone. But although I haven't seen Les Mis obviously, I would still very much like to see Tom Hooper (who was effectively almost unknown before) follow up "The King's Speech" Oscar win with another in his very next film. So I am personally rather hoping the 800 pound gorilla does what 800 pound gorillas are supposed to do, and dominates the competition!

#482 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostAnnasette, on 24 November 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

I always find premature judgement, as such, either way, a bit surprising (and not in a good way), but in this case it has really been more like optimism in anticipation. And I have to admit to sharing some of the rising expectations re Tom Hooper's epic. And those expectations seem to be bearing fruit. Who else has read some of the reports after the New York screenings? Tom Hooper et al have apparently been working like Trojans to get the film together in time for the Oscar race. And after having finished it literally only the day before, so he is quoted as saying, Top Hooper presented the finished product to the selected audience in New York. And the response was apparently HUGE!

I love a quote seen that "Universal have just released the 800 pound gorilla into the Oscar race!". And Tom Hooper is quoted re wondering what the strange sound was during the screening, only to then realise that it was the sound of an audience crying en masse.,,,,,,,,, Wow!,,,,,,,, What a tribute! And how often has that ever happened?

It is going to be a very interesting Oscar race this year. There are some great films there, although I previously  thought Lincoln probably the likely winner on subject matter alone. But although I haven't seen Les Mis obviously, I would still very much like to see Tom Hooper (who was effectively almost unknown before) follow up "The King's Speech" Oscar win with another in his very next film. So I am personally rather hoping the 800 pound gorilla does what 800 pound gorillas are supposed to do, and dominates the competition!

THIS COULD BE THE BIGGEST THING EVER
Cameron Mackintosh is a genius of promotion

#483 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Then again it has been debated before that films do not win an Oscar on their merits alone.

Whats riding against Les Miserables is that it may be so soon after Hooper won Best Film and Director for The King's Speech. Giving Les Miserables best picture though would be a nod towards movie musicals 10 years after Chicago, like the silent movies was given a nod last year after 82 years.

Lincoln is likely going to be nominated just because of Steven Speilberg, and Ben Affleck is getting a lot of attention as the director of Argo, though I did see it last weekend and I thought there have been better films this year.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#484 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I thought the other big Oscar contender would be "Lincoiln". They do often seem to favour royalty for some not entirely understood reason, where the number of Oscars awarded to actors playing kings and/or queens etc is out of all proportion to the number of roles there have been in that line. And I rather thought that President Lincoln would be like America awarding the Oscar to its own royalty (in a sense) this time. But Les Mis really seems to have thrown the cat among the pigeons. For all the critics have been asked not to print proper reviews yet, what has been written, even by those expected to be more critical, has been extraordinary! For all the world, it has been sounding like a bit of an unstoppable behemoth!.  

But nothing is certain until the fat lady sings (an appropriate expression, I thought, lol! - even if there won't be many fat people singing in Les Mis). And lo, where the Les Mis gorilla swept all before it a few days ago, now Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty", about finding Osama Bin Laden, has followed it in also being debuted to deliberate Oscar aiming effect. And that has now shot itself to the top of the Oscar contender tree too. Who knows? This is going to be the most interesting Oscar race for years. The awards that come out in early December will be particularly interesting too, as pointers.

#485 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

It is possible for a film to win Best Picture and not win in other categories, I expect Lincoln to get a win for Daniel Day Lewis.

#486 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

I went to see a showing of the film. Feel free to ask any questions.

#487 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostAnnasette, on 26 November 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I thought the other big Oscar contender would be "Lincoiln". They do often seem to favour royalty for some not entirely understood reason, where the number of Oscars awarded to actors playing kings and/or queens etc is out of all proportion to the number of roles there have been in that line. And I rather thought that President Lincoln would be like America awarding the Oscar to its own royalty (in a sense) this time. But Les Mis really seems to have thrown the cat among the pigeons. For all the critics have been asked not to print proper reviews yet, what has been written, even by those expected to be more critical, has been extraordinary! For all the world, it has been sounding like a bit of an unstoppable behemoth!.  

But nothing is certain until the fat lady sings (an appropriate expression, I thought, lol! - even if there won't be many fat people singing in Les Mis). And lo, where the Les Mis gorilla swept all before it a few days ago, now Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty", about finding Osama Bin Laden, has followed it in also being debuted to deliberate Oscar aiming effect. And that has now shot itself to the top of the Oscar contender tree too. Who knows? This is going to be the most interesting Oscar race for years. The awards that come out in early December will be particularly interesting too, as pointers.

Lincoln fits the liberal political dialogue in the US at the moment - coming together, against adversity, with a great President responding to the call of history. Interesting to see how  Americans react to Les Mis and its revolutionary fervour -  and this version seems to have a bit more of that  than the show. Though if they really are crying over Javert too as someone  claimed Les Mis could win on emotional firepower.

#488 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostRooster Byron, on 27 November 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Is the anticipation worth it?

#489 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostRooster Byron, on 27 November 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Was it easy to spot 'west end' people?

How was Aaron Tveit?

Was Eddie as good as many reports are saying?

Did you enjoy it? Do you think it will have mainstream success at the box office?

Its nice for the film to have awards buzz but dosent make any difference to me, I'm just happy its been made and theres not too long to wait for it to open now.

#490 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

http://www.amazon.co...54122717&sr=1-2

Edited by David J, 28 November 2012 - 10:26 PM.

My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users