• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#511 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Info about new LesMis song
http://blog.musicalt...smis-movie.html

#512 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Wish it came out before January, especially as they're having the world premiere here. Ah well something to look forward to after Christmas I suppose!

#513 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Some new clips on Youtube, about a minute or so long teasers of various songs, obviously don't click if you don't want to know:

ETA: no idea how to just make them links rather than the videos coming up, so just copy/paste and add the www.

On My Own (first verse): youtube.com/watch?v=O64W9E1OZh0

the start of A Heart Full of Love: youtube.com/watch?v=sTYWpRfFsug

Who Am I: youtube.com/watch?v=EPQ_N0tOFn8

Fantine being sacked in At the End of the Day: youtube.com/watch?v=S5AnWz8JaYU

End of the Prologue with Javert and Valjean: youtube.com/watch?v=CSDgXERsPDA

#514 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

So looking forward to this, particularly after seeing those new clips.

#515 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

Hmmm I've got very mixed feelings for those clips. Visually the direction is great (except the shot-reverse shots for Vailjean / Javert and Cosette / Marius) but I was always concerned about having the actors sing live as at times it can make them sound quite quiet and even sometimes you miss some lines because of the environment and the diegetic sounds being at the same volumne level as them. Another thing the orchestra sounds even more quieter (obviously so you can hear the actors). I personally think that there was no need for them to do it like this as (now I know there haven't been many) recent movie musicals have improved with their soundtrack playing back. For example both the singers and orchestra sounded fine in movie of Sweeney Todd as they were louder and clear and yet it didn't seem so fake or unreal like an earlier movie musical would be, it still included diegetic sounds but they were quiter and didn't distract away from the singers and orchestra.
But then again I am listening to these clips on my iPod touch (and it is 2.15am!) so I probably am being unfair, so I suppose I'll just have to wait and hope that it will sound better at the cinema, later on DVD. Either that or I need to go to the hearing hospital!

#516 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Well found,  I thought they were fantastic.

#517 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 02 December 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

I was always concerned about having the actors sing live as at times it can make them sound quite quiet and even sometimes you miss some lines because of the environment and the diegetic sounds being at the same volumne level as them. Another thing the orchestra sounds even more quieter (obviously so you can hear the actors).

I can make out all the lines in those clips, so I don't think the live singing is a problem at all, and in fact it adds to the realism having the background noise as if it's going to be completely real then you should have to work to hear every single line, such as when the characters are outdoors.

And I'm over the moon that the orchestra is quieter - that's my pet hate with most West End shows these days - the orchestra often drowns out the singer.  The music is beautiful, of course, but I want to hear the lyrics sung, not the music overpowering that.

#518 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have mixed feelings - I think having the orchestra much quieter also shows severe weaknesses in some of the cast's lack of vocal abilities, and also is less forgiving when some of the lines are noticably flat...visually it looks stunning...guess we just have to wait another 6 weeks and see the whole thing!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#519 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Having seen it I can say that them singing live is the best idea Tom had with the film, it makes it real raw, real and emotional. I hate it when they suddenly cut to a studio recording, it sounds so false. The orchestra sound full and beautiful and only add to the singing. Remember you're seeing these clips in isolation. After two and a half hours immersed in the film you don't spot any flat or weak lines.

#520 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostRooster Byron, on 02 December 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

After two and a half hours immersed in the film you don't spot any flat or weak lines.
The Prologue isn't two and a half hours into the film, though, that's right at the start, and Russell Crowe sounds ridiculously weak. I have to agree with Laughingmonsta, the singing (or lack thereof) is really grating on my nerves, as are the extreme closeups and odd angles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users