808 replies to this topic

#521 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I also have mixed feelings. The live singing makes it sound much more raw and real, however as others have said, it highlights some of the weaker voices. Despite that, I do like how Sam Barks doesn't sing On My Own perfectly, with some notes more spoken than sung as it shows emotion. Lately, I've found that Eponines use the song to show off their vocal ability a bit and forget the true meaning and emotion of the song.
Russell Crowe has left me extremely underwhelmed and didn't seem menacing or very authoritative in that clip at all. Javert is my favourite character in the entire of musical theatre so I will be gutted if it's not done right.

I think the singing will sound better once we get used to it throughout the film. I also thought Eddie Redmayne was wonderful, however I'm always going to say that as he is rather easy on the eye!
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#522 Wickeder

Wickeder

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I've just watched the clips and it only served to make me more excited for the film.

I think making an instant decision that something is bad or doesn't work based on a minute long Youtube clip is a bit hasty. In the cinema in the dark with a huge screen and wrap around sound, I'd like to bet that everything will be as people who've actually seen it suggest.

Anyone expecting the same experience as the show is bound to be disappointed. For that we've got the live show, the 10th anniversary DVD and the 25th anniversary DVD. This HAS to be different otherwise what was the point in making it?

A good example for me, The Producers musical movie was awful even though the show was superb - because all they really did was point a camera at the stage show. It didn't work.

This is a movie first and foremost, and I'm sure in context we'll all be thrilled *buys popcorn*.

#523 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

But... surely if people can base their excitement and optimism on the couple of clips they've seen, then others are also allowed to voice their wariness? Of course I'm not expecting the same experience as the show, but as it's a musical film you would think that the cast they chose to be able to do the score some justice or they could have just made it a book adaptation.

#524 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostCactus, on 02 December 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

The Prologue isn't two and a half hours into the film, though, that's right at the start, and Russell Crowe sounds ridiculously weak. I have to agree with Laughingmonsta, the singing (or lack thereof) is really grating on my nerves, as are the extreme closeups and odd angles.

and they will continue to do that when you see them in short snippets, but the film isn't short snippets. It's a directorial style that really works... there's plenty of classic Tom Hooper close ups on the right of the screen, empty on the left. You're used to seeing it on the stage from a far, and this isn't that, and is all the better for it. Within the whole film I'd guess perhaps 3% is spoken the rest is sung through. Yes the first 20 minutes take a while to get used to the singing bits... but it basically has created a universe in which everyone communicates through song. Not west end belting it to an audience, be intense song used in the same way that you might use speech.

#525 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostRooster Byron, on 02 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

and they will continue to do that when you see them in short snippets, but the film isn't short snippets. It's a directorial style that really works... there's plenty of classic Tom Hooper close ups on the right of the screen, empty on the left. You're used to seeing it on the stage from a far, and this isn't that, and is all the better for it. Within the whole film I'd guess perhaps 3% is spoken the rest is sung through. Yes the first 20 minutes take a while to get used to the singing bits... but it basically has created a universe in which everyone communicates through song. Not west end belting it to an audience, be intense song used in the same way that you might use speech.
As long as you reduce my opinion to 'you're only comparing it to the stage show so therefore your opinion doesn't matter', I don't believe there's any point in discussing it?! I'm not liking the extreme closeups because they don't sit comfortably with me and I think Hooper is overdoing it. That has absolutely nothing to do with the stage production. Plus, it's not like 'intense song' and 'belting it to the audience' are the only options. There are plenty of examples of stage performers being understated and intense and able to reach the front row as well as the back row emotionally, it's not a constant belting competition in the very slightest. You can be quiet and emotionally charged and subtle and still hit the notes and act with your voice (which I'm not hearing from Crowe, Jackman or Seyfried so far, sorry).

#526 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm not reducing your opinion to someone who is only comparing it to the stage show? I'm simply pointing out that everyone is used to seeing it as a stage show, so seeing it as a film takes some getting used to.  But it does all boil down to film being a different medium to the stage, and therefore the final product having to adapt suitably. How about we discuss more when you've seen it? I'd be interested to see what you think and whether it still doesn't sit comfortably or not.

#527 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

The only clip I was less than delighted with was Who am I. But I'm hopeful it works in context.
Eddie is fabulous as the young man in love, no wonder he's getting praise.

And lovely to see more of Sam.

#528 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I just want to see and hear Aaron Tveit!

#529 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Why is UK release 3 weeks after that of JPN???? It's not as if the film company presumed that most of the British Les Miz fans would be spending their Chrstmas holidays on tropical beaches, is it?

#530 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

January's fine as it means it will have pretty much no competition, films like The King's Speech, Black Swan and War Horse have flourished when they were released in January. I imagine also they don't want to compete with The Hobbit and to an extent Life of Pi,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users