#541 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostTitan, on 05 December 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Photos from tonights premiere up on broadwayworld. Sam Barks has arrived...wow...movie star in waiting

I was trying to watch the live stream but it kept buffering so I missed a lot of the interviews.  Loved Sam's dress, and Amanda Seyfried's, and surprisingly also Helena BC's!  Anne Hathaway's dress seems to be splitting the critics - personally I hated it!

There are a couple of interviews from the red carpet on Youtube already including a lovely one with Sam.  I know I'm biased as I've been a fan since she was on I'd Do Anything, but I really hope she starts getting some recognition for this if her performance is anything like as good as the On My Own clip suggests it will be and many critics have hinted it is.  And similarly for Anne Hathaway, her IDAD is just perfection.

#542 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I went along after work (it was freezing and I forgot my gloves!) and from where I was saw Amanda getting out of the car, Anne came over and I shook her hand. I also got a great pic which I'd attach if I knew how. Saw Hugh, he came around shaking hands, but alas not to me. Also saw the young girl playing Cosette and Russell Crowe, however he just wave and walked in.

Also saw Helena but she didn't come over to where I was standing and Sasha and his wife Ilsa and although he did come over, it just wasn't far enough. It's luck of the draw really. Didn't see Sam, Aaron or Eddie but was told by the girl standing next to me with her mother that they'd already been through. Obviously I missed them.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#543 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I found this link to the complete London press pack on Twitter.

http://www.universal...uctionNotes.pdf

#544 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostCactus, on 05 December 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Criticising something isn't exactly the same as being judgemental, though, especially if it's based on clips that have been released. I didn't realise there was some rule that everyone must always love everything no matter what their honest impressions are.

No one suggested that everyone is supposed to always love everything. That is just another presumption, to the convenience of the moment, that has no basis at all. And it doesn't really matter if you call it criticism or being presumptively judgemental, it just isn't best practice to be either specifically critical or judgemental about things that you simply don't know enough about. Too many people do it, and it is always wrong, whether there ends up happening to be substance to an issue or not. In this case, your impressions of the clips etc are perfectly valid as your impressions from the clips, whether positive or negative. But to insist on such impressions being justifiable criticism of the whole film is not appropriate. All you have seen are tiny snippets taken completely out of context. You can't know that cinematographic choices, such as the extreme close ups etc, don't work, when you haven't seen them in their proper context in the film. I did actually see that criticism somewhere else, from someone who had at least seen the film (albeit possibly associated with another agenda), but I wouldn't even form a definitive opinion about their "opinion" until I had seen the necessary for myself and had a proper understanding of what they were talking about

#545 Zermatt

Zermatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and Travel. Often these two combine!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

So disappointing that we have to wait so long to see it after the premiere. Does anyone know why the States gets it on Xmas day, when we have to wait til January?

#546 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

i would imagine its xmas day due to the oscar deadline in the usa. January is traditionally a strong time for oscar contenders to open in the uk as has already been mentioned and there wont be much competition whereas now it will have the hobbit and jack reacher to compete with, among others. it can then take advantage of the oscar buzz from the usa like.black swan, kings speech etc did

#547 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

It's also released in several European countries (including Spain) on 25th December

#548 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Video highlights from the premiere if anyone's interested:

http://itskindacool....world-premiere/

#549 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostAnnasette, on 05 December 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

I envy you having seen the film already, Rooster Byron. Where did you see it?

Out of curiosity, then, does the combination of the very fact that you have seen the film early and that you are able to confirm the cut of those words about Cosette's name in the film, as opposed to the clip (in the throws of a single(?) view of a film, I am not too sure that detail would have been noticed), indicate that you may actually be connected to it in some way? Very interesting if you are. Are you?

But aside from that, I have to say that I have empathy with your trying to steer prematurely judgemental attitudes in a more appropriate direction too. It obviously helps to be able to speak from the perspective of having actually seen the film, but judgementalism on the basis of inadequate or non-existent knowledge is always something that irritates me (whatever the issue). But it was gently done and appropriate, even if I am wondering a tiny bit (interested, probably better word) re you motivation. .

I luckily got to see it at the first screening, am in no way involved in the making of the film, nor any production of it. I noticed the Cosette bit, just because I was aware of it seeming weird in the clip. I think all I was trying to do is to steer people to keep an open mind till they have seen it. It's frustrating when judgement is so quickly passed on such a tiny sample of the finished product but such is life. I know having seen it, that it is wonderful and if someone comes away having not enjoyed it because of the close ups, or because of this, or because of that, then they've probably failed to see the bigger picture, but each to their own.

With regards the close up shooting, the most devastating scene in the film is one un cut long close up, and it's simply phenomenal

#550 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I saw the film on Tuesday and agree with Rooster Byron. It's truly astonishing. Really wonderful. Even Russell Crowe doesn't sound as awful as he does in the trailer. "Stars" is fine. Not earth shattering, but not terrible by any stretch. Big letdown for me was Helena Bonham Carter. Why do people insist she can sing? She has absolutely no power in her voice at all and her big grandstanding moment in "Master of the House" falls completely flat. Shame.

Pretty sure Eponine doesn't say Cosette's name to Marius when he asks who she is, so him then singing "I don't even know your name" before "Heart Full of Love" makes perfect sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users