#571 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

i disagree i think empires reviews are usually spot on

i would never trust a cast members opinion. they wont publically slate something linked to a future or current employer or project

#572 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I'm sure they have a massive hit on their hands.  How could they not?  Look at the history of the show.  And heaps and heaps and heaps of people the world over can far more easily afford the cinema than the theatre.  

To read the reviews, in the main, if the reviewer loved it, they really, really, really loved it.  Those less enthused seemed to have some subtext going on as to why they didn't really, really, really love it.

The story, in the end, is about love, hope, redemption, kindness... all human virtues so often lacking in the world.  I think the thing will hit the heart and create great word of mouth, just as the musical resonated so deeply despite the initial critical slams.   Critics don't see things as regular people do.  I don't know how big of a big hit it will be but am certain it will be a big hit by anybody's standards.

#573 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostCactus, on 08 December 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

that said, having read a few reviews it's clear that some critics are well aware of Les Misérables and do take that into consideration when reviewing the film, e.g. the one commenting on (the lack of) establishing the bond between Valjean and Cosette...

Yes, I appreciate those reviews as well even though I'm a fan of the show so am interested in what other fans think of it as well.  I don't mind a well thought-out, reasoned and relevant critical review, as opposed to the drivel that's come from people who clearly don't know about or understand the show, like a certain Guardian reviewer...   Reviews from people who haven't seen the show can be interesting, but it's the ones who perpetuate untrue statements about the show that I don't have any respect for.

#574 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Some more videos about the making of the film have popped up on Youtube

http://www.youtube.c...m/videos?view=0

#575 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Les mis could fail...look at the phantom movie!

im not saying it will but mega hit in theatre doesnt automatically equate to hit on film

#576 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostTitan, on 09 December 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Les mis could fail...look at the phantom movie!

im not saying it will but mega hit in theatre doesnt automatically equate to hit on film

Of course it could, but so could any film ever made.  It had a pretty decent premiere though, and it's open for pre-booking tickets already, so it could well prove to be a success.

And lack of commercial success doesn't always spell disaster for the Oscars either...

#577 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Couple of pub singers from last night ....

#578 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

It could fail, definitely.  I would just argue it is less likely to because of the nature of the story.  It strikes such a powerful chord.  Phantom also arguably suffered from some of the casting choices.  I enjoyed Phantom on film, but somehow the magic of the theatre didn't translate for me into uber box office.

#579 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Okay now I have more faith in Jackman, though the end note of Bring Him Home sounded weird

http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50136709n

http://www.cbsnews.c...lry-of-les-mis/
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#580 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm seeing the show in a couple of weeks, close to before the film comes out so I hope it won't affect my enjoyment of the film as I've really been looking forward to it. But it was the only time I could see the current cast for the first time, which i'm really keen to.

I do tend to nitpick so may need to lower my expectations for the film a little so as not to be disappointed. Is anyone else seeing the show around a similar time to the film coming out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users