#601 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostCarmella1, on 19 December 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

One Day More video which Broadwayworld posted.  I feel a little half and half about this.  Its nicely done but for me lacks power and depth.

http://broadwayworld...hp?colid=439556

Sam Barks was the best thing about that number for me, I love how they've staged Eponine's part in that and Sam plays and sings it beautifully.

Aaron Tveit sounds good as Enjolras but for me his vocal was lacking a little firepower.  Eddie Redmayne sounds great but the staging of his part was a bit weird, he didn't seem to be thinking about Cosette enough until the end when he's decided to fight!

The others I wasn't so impressed by - some of Amanda's notes sound decidedly dodgy although her acting was fine.  Hugh's repeated 'One Day More' were painful but I liked the start.  HBC and SBC seem to act the Thenardiers well enough but they're really not singers, and they haven't managed to edit one line Helena sings to put it in time with the ensemble.

Russell Crowe seems not to have given much thought to pacing and breaks at all, his lines are just run together without any real phrasing and I don't think it works - no particular words are emphasised, it's all samey.

The ensemble didn't sound too impressive either, though I thought the staging was fine.

I have heard that this is one of the weakest sequences in the movie though.

#602 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Sam knocks it out of the park, that girl has some serious chops. This style  of singing no post-production dubbing exposes the vocally frail. Tveit & Barks exude quality. What a taster before Jan

#603 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

Poster J I have to agree with all your comments.  But I was especially disappointed in Hugh.  Aaron is just singing no fire there - just scrunched eyes and hair.    But to say this is one of the weakest sequences is troubling because it should be one of the most powerful.

I think it may be a case of the movie musical not really transferring as powerfully as live theatre.  It should be stirring not weak.  In the dvd when Ramin comes on as Enjorlas you know it.   When I saw Thaxton's Enjorlas you just felt moved.  I really would have preferred either of them.

#604 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostCarmella1, on 20 December 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

But to say this is one of the weakest sequences is troubling because it should be one of the most powerful.

I don't necessarily agree with that.  in the theatre, yes, obviously - it's building to the end of Act 1 and is intended to leave people buzzing in the interval.

But in the movie there is no intermission, and Do You Hear the People Sing
Spoiler
is much more of a call to arms to begin the battle than this song is, as this one is more aimed at entwining all the characters' storylines before the fighting breaks out.  Yes, it should have more impact in Javert and Enjolras's parts, but this was always going to lose its impact when there's no interval.

#605 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I had my reservations but after seeing this clip feel a lot more excited about it...I like the style and the naturalism of it. I think you need to remember that it is film and thus brings with it a very different feel to the stage show, theatre by its nature is larger than life and Hooper has brought real tangible emotion to this film.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#606 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Plus its also needs remembering that One Day More is the Act1 closer in the stage show - so needs people to be going out in the interval and talking about it...in the film its only a small section in the middle of an on-going narrative so can't be too "Showstopping" as it will stand out like a sore thumb!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#607 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

This clip is when the police arrest Valjean after he steals the Bishop's silver. Been waiting to see Colm!

#608 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

What I want to know is when did Mrs. Bird quit Crawley House and go back a hundred odd years to work for the Bishop of Digne?  I know she didn't like Ethel but that is extreme.

#609 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

https://itunes.apple...hts/id583631029

link to soundtrack previews (very short) on iTunes Australia.

God, Russell Crowe sounds so... bored.  I fear this is like asking Enya to sing Mama Rose.

#610 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 21 December 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

https://itunes.apple...hts/id583631029

link to soundtrack previews (very short) on iTunes Australia.

God, Russell Crowe sounds so... bored.  I fear this is like asking Enya to sing Mama Rose.

I'll judge Russell's performance more when I see the film, but for now I am annoyed that A Little Fall of Rain and Do You Hear The People Sing are not on the soundtrack!!!  I'd much rather have more Aaron Tveit, Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks singing than Russell Crowe any day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users