808 replies to this topic

#611 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Yes, I am hoping the film redeems Russell on the soundtrack but more and more I think this is going to be an uphill climb.  The character is so important and, in my view, he's a belter.... I think all signs point to Crowe being miscast.  (At this point, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps even Jackman was miscast... he's sounding awfully reedy.)  And I hope only good things for this film... I love the show and have for years.  I'm just worried and am eager to see it, hoping to be wrong.

I will say Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream continues to sound just excellent.

#612 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

I think we are all used to real singers in these parts and part time singers or the Boy From Oz have a very uphill battle methinks.

Here is the review from Entertainment Weekly,  brutal.

http://www.ew.com/ew...0620444,00.html

#613 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostCarmella1, on 21 December 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

It just reads like this reviewer does not like les mis whether film, theatre or music

#614 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Interesting the reviewer dumps Mamma Mia in with Rent as a movie dud, whilst not perfect theres no denying it was a massive hit.

I think its going to be fairly critic proof, its the sort of film that gets non regular cinema goers in.

#615 Dragononmyback

Dragononmyback

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Right from the first moment I saw the trailer I thought Hugh and Amanda were likely to be the weak links here.

The One Day More clip above just confirms what I already thought. In my view the people who come across best are:

- Samantha (The best by far both singing and acting)
- Anne - Seems really good in the dream a dream clips (although she is not in the One Day more clip)
- and Eddy who sounds pretty good too in all the clips I have seen.

Despite my disappointment in Hugh and Amanda I will still be going to see it as soon as I can once it is released. I think there will be lots of good moments whilst expecting some not so good ones along side them.

Also having seen the brief clip of Helena and Sacha I think their parts could come across pretty well. They seem to have a good interaction and the singing is okay for roles that don't nessecarily need the best singers.

Having said that as a big Queen fan I am still worried about what Sacha will be capable of pulling off as Freddie Mercury in the upcoming Bio-pic.

#616 Dragononmyback

Dragononmyback

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostStage Hand, on 21 December 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

It just reads like this reviewer does not like les mis whether film, theatre or music

I agree that is one of the poorest written reviews I have read in a long time. No balance at all. I am pretty sure that whoever wrote that already had a set view before they even saw the film. Reviews like this are what put me off taking reviewers opinions seriously a long time ago. In my view it is just shoddy / lazy journalism. The only movie reviewier I put any credence in these days is Mark Kermode. I will still be interested to see what he has to say as his views often align quite closely with what I feel about films once I have got around to seeing them.

The fact the review also fails completely to mention Samantha Barks, who I think from the clips I have seen is likely to be one of the standout people in the film is probably because the reviewer could not find anything bad to say about her performance.

And the reviewers assessment of Les Mis as a musical in general in the last paragraph is completely of the mark.

#617 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostCarmella1, on 21 December 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

I think we are all used to real singers in these parts and part time singers or the Boy From Oz have a very uphill battle methinks.

Utter rubbish, that reviewer clearly doesn't like Les Mis as a musical, and I think most people who don't like the musical won't like the film, especially as it's pretty much sung-through.

It really annoys me when reviewers aren't capable of even a bit of unbiased journalism, and write such stupid thing as Russell Crowe has a right to be annoyed about singing Broadway when it's clearly not his thing - never mind that it was his choice to do the movie....

Lazy journalism at its worst!

#618 SimonAitken

SimonAitken

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

http://thatgavinfell...tirety-from-the

'At The End of The Day' full clip.

#619 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 20 December 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Plus its also needs remembering that One Day More is the Act1 closer in the stage show - so needs people to be going out in the interval and talking about it...in the film its only a small section in the middle of an on-going narrative so can't be too "Showstopping" as it will stand out like a sore thumb!

And, after other things move forward into act one ,  its nearer the end than before,  so you wouldn't  want two finales that close. Its a pity though because you lose some of your musical wow moments to make the film flow.

#620 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostStage Hand, on 21 December 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

He might have a point about Javert's clothes. Looking at him I see why the  musical avoided  putting Javert in Napoleon's hat, and think he would look better with the tall one-  even if he can't sound as authoritative as Earl.

Otherwise its one of those stock, don't get it/can't be bothered, reviews that come from people the emotional content sweeps over -  or the  leftwing pseuds or aetheists or neoliberals who don't like the story because its too religious or too left wing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users