#621 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think most people who don't like the musical won't like the film

Guess that puts me in the minority then. I am no fan of the show, I find the production too tired and creaky and I have never seen a uniformly amazing cast (even the O2 anniversary concert was sullied by the Jonas).

And while this cast isn't uniformly amazing (as already stated, the Thenardiers failed to wow me), the film absolutely blew me sideways. It is the huge emotional sweeping epic I always want the show to be but never is.

#622 CWorrall29

CWorrall29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Trailer which features more of On My Own. Sam Barks sounds great.

#623 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for that, nice to see Sam getting some promotion as well.  That sounds pretty much as good as Anne's I Dreamed A Dream, which makes me very happy.

Glad to see she hasn't gone for the high note on 'pretending', it sounds so much better without it.  I loved her performance in the 25th anniversary concert 9that note aside), but she sounds even better here.

#624 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

I've just seen that Les Mis is beating the Hobbit this week in first international release in Japan and Korea. Not that that says a huge amount in terms of actual money (1M in Japan, or thereabouts), and a Japanese film tops the box office ahead of it, but it's not a bad sign. It's looks as if it is beating Mamma Mia in that market too!

#625 Dragononmyback

Dragononmyback

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I received my copy of the soundtrack album yesterday. Have to say it takes a bit of getting used to given that I usually listen to the stage versions on cd. It's not as good as those vocally but it is growing on me and still makes me want ot see the film.

#626 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostDragononmyback, on 23 December 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

It's not as good as those vocally but it is growing on me and still makes me want ot see the film.

I've watched the various clips posted in this thread & noticed the music often sounds slightly muted. I know its real time singing & it could be to my low grade monitor speakers,but if anyone has seen the film or to those with the sound track album does these seem the case or will it all be different with Digital AES Sound at the cineama. Please share

#627 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Sounds perfectly fine in the cinema

#628 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Had a listen to the soundtrack. Some tracks are better than others but I'm reserving judgement until I see how they fit with the portrayal of the characters. First time I heard Hadley Fraser sings Stars I wasn't sure but as soon as I saw it in context I loved it.

#629 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Just listened to the soundtrack...'Do You Hear The People Sing' at the end of the Epilogue gave me chills...oh I can't wait to see it :-)
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#630 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Been to the cinema twice since they started advertising Les Mis, and have found myself disappointed to be seeing something else, both times I have come out singing Les Mis songs....... hurry up January 11th!!!
This comes from someone who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to see the stage show, which took my best friend 3 1/2 years to persuade me....... LOVED IT!
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users