808 replies to this topic

#631 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Just hearing the full version of Anne H. singing I Dreamed a Dream... the orchestrations are marvellous.

Master of the House is delightfully comedic... again, well arranged... amusing arrangements... Not sure what Helena's doing with it but on film it could be very funny.  She didn't seem to go for the usual shrew.

It's hard to tell about Russell.  It's such a contrast from the Javert's we're used to.  Yet there's an odd, moving quality in the softer parts that might be interesting.  More Javert as secretly wounded little bird that striding martinet.  

I am relieved - and pardon my ignorant phrasing - but I am relieved to hear that marvellous swell of 'Bring Him Home' is preserved after the students are all killed.  In the musical, to me, the revolve of the barricade that occurs during that bridge, with Enjolras suspended there and Gavroche on the ground below him, is so moving.  I hope they treat it well on screen.  At least it suggests the moment is still there.

#632 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm just hearing Valjean die  - spoiler alert! - and it's so moving... again, down to the orchestrations as much as the singing.  It's lovely, serene, sad.

#633 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 24 December 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

I am relieved - and pardon my ignorant phrasing - but I am relieved to hear that marvellous swell of 'Bring Him Home' is preserved after the students are all killed.  In the musical, to me, the revolve of the barricade that occurs during that bridge, with Enjolras suspended there and Gavroche on the ground below him, is so moving.  I hope they treat it well on screen.  At least it suggests the moment is still there.

Just you wait till you see that moment in the film. You'll have tears rolling down your cheeks and then a massive smile will burst across your face.....

#634 SimonAitken

SimonAitken

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

Just listend to the recording, LOVED IT!

Hugh Jackman - VERY IMPRESSIVE! Love the man's voice, but I seem to be in the minotrity here on this one.

#635 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hugh jackman has more than proved himself as a musical performer, I'm so excited to see him in this role. I don't understand why some people seem so against him.

#636 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

i think if hugh jackman wasnt a hollywood hunk who happens to be good at musical theatre he wouldnt be as  big a deal.

He is one of my concerns over the movie as his acting record isnt great on film, his voice on the soundtrack is ok but nothing mind blowing

#637 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostTitan, on 25 December 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

i think if hugh jackman wasnt a hollywood hunk who happens to be good at musical theatre he wouldnt be as  big a deal. . . .

He's a performer who did both musical theater and movies in Australia and in the US and happens to be good at both. He's also a Hollywood hunk who struck it rich in a choice role in a Comic Book/Science Fiction movie series.

I think he's a lot better qualified for Les Mis than Gerard Butler was for the Phantom movie---but I guess that isn't saying a lot.

#638 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postdjp, on 17 December 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

The casting of everyone but the top leads has  been a bit left out of the coverage. it looks as if the quality  shows in the ensemble  singing,  and its going to be really interesting for example  to hear the Eponines singing Lovely Ladies and Cosettes  and a Matilda  singing Turning.

If the Matilda reference refers to Kerry, she isn't - the song has been partially cut, including her bit (or at least that's what I heard from the screening on 5th Dec for some of the cast).

Didn't realise the soundtrack was out though, will have to do some digging later to find it.

#639 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostBricabrac, on 25 December 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I think he's a lot better qualified for Les Mis than Gerard Butler was for the Phantom movie---but I guess that isn't saying a lot.

Yeeeah ...To be fair, it's not a lot to say that any movie is better than the Phantom movie.

I haven't yet seen the Les Mis film, but if it's good as the reviews say and does well at the Oscars, I hope ALW seethes with rage as he watches the film of the show he detested back in 1985 and called Cameron Mackintosh a "catastrophic idiot" for pursuing trounce the p*ss-poor effort of his and Joel Schumacher's 8 years ago. In terms of posterity, ALW has not laid a very good path for himself. People will wonder in years to come what on earth the fuss was about with regard to Phantom if all they had to go on was that film.

#640 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Just cannot wait to see this in the cinema soon. Let's hope the cinema audience for Les Mis is not the usual chatting, phoning, texting, slurping, eating, talking folk that usually go to the cinema these days. I usually avoid the "cinema experience" because of this but really do want to see Les Mis on the big screen with the Dolby sound. I have mixed feelings about the clips I have seen so far and want to wait until I experience the full film before passing comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users