#651 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Postaniali, on 10 January 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Ok..... I saw it and..... I absolutely loved it . BUT and it is a big but. I have seen it twice in london and the tour once. So i am not a purist. My mate is however and he was alot more critical. Alot of the songs are cameos in themselves. Ie the last verse of drink with me is present. So the barricade boys singe one verse then it goes straight into marius " life without cosette..." Beggars at feast is cut and very badly. Matius knocks monseur thenardier out and marius and cosette storm out to find valjean and then it suddenly cuts to the tenardiers being carried out singing the last 6 lines of BATF. The way it is edited makes it clear the whole song was filmed. Also the opening 20 mins is atrociously edited as well (the montage in which JVj attempts to find work) thr acting is good. Eponine is no more than a cameo in fact the thenardiers have more screen time i think. I think sam barks is in the film for no more than 10minutes. The filming style
Isnpredictable and uninspiring. But i loved it due to the fact i waited years for this lol. Its miles better than phantom which ia some comfort i am sure

Hopefully then we will see a directors cut or a DVD with the missing segments?

#652 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Postspendleb, on 10 January 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Hopefully then we will see a directors cut or a DVD with the missing segments?

That's been mentioned, but the producers have said they only brought the final cut up to standard, so the rest of the footage would take a lot of work to make it into a proper directors' cut.

#653 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postaniali, on 10 January 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Its miles better than phantom which ia some comfort i am sure

To be fair, that's not hard given how spectacularly that was screwed up.

Really pumped to see this - going on Saturday. I love how I am seeing this advertised everywhere; they've done a really good job promoting this and marketing it.

#654 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Saw the movie. I am probably one of the few that will not be singing its praises. But it is my opinion.  I believe it is very well acted as a performance musical.

Spoilers follow so please do not read if you do not want to know.

You do not see this movie and expect to hear gorgeous voices because you will not get them.  Yes Sam Barks and Eddie Redmayne sing very well, but really apart from the ensemble, which consists of many WE performers, vocals are not memorable.  I was especially disappointed in any vocals by Hugh Jackman.  I found them weak and Bring Him Home was just painful.  Especially when you have heard John Owen Jones or Ramin Karimloo sing it.  

That said, I do not think vocals were the point of this movie musical.  I believe it was a script set to music.  Ann Hathaway will win the Oscar for this performance.  She brings all the angst and emotion you can to that piece.  Would this work on a stage, never.  On stage you want to hear it sung.  It works in a tight close up showing her pain.  That can be said of all the "songs" they are individual performance pieces filmed in ultra close ups. Eddie Redmayne's Empty Chairs is interpreted in the same vein, but he sings it more and its well done. The movie is always in close up.  From the beginning when you see the plight of the people you will see the screen pan to one or two individuals in extreme close up.  I believe this lessens the effect of a close up when you see it all the time.  It actually makes the confrontation my favorite scene since the director decides to show a complete shot of Valjean and Javert's bodies as they fight rather than a disembodied head.  The Thenardier's are turned into comic characters.  Dog Eat Dog is cut so you really never see his vileness.  They are simply turned into greedy harmless comical characters. He just turns up when Valjean is in the sewers taking the ring off Marius. The ending is also changed for Valjean's death.  No Eponine.  Fantine just appears at his head and you get a close up of both their heads together as she sings.  They leave and he goes to the Cathedral where he is greeted by the Bishop and then they turn to the Barricade where all of Paris is singing and all the dead are on the barricade singing joyfully and smiling.

I must mention the iconic scene of Enjorlas getting killed.  He now falls out the window into the pose but it is over in a blink so the power of it is never felt. In fact Enjorlas is not a very powerful character here.  The leader yes, but leaderish, not so much.  They should have given David Thaxton a chance in the part.  There is a scene afterward between Javert and Gavroche that is very moving.  And Gavroche is excellent.  However I do not remember him taunting the soldiers in the play he is sneaking.  Here he is just taunting until someone snaps.

Filming the movie with live singing rather than prerecorded in a studio did give the actor's choices in how they wanted their songs to come out.  So they are acted and emotional at the expense of beautiful vocals.  If you have never seen the staged production you may love the movie.  If you have seen musicals but like the idea of raw realism of performed acting while singing you may love it.  However if you wanted to see the movie and still get the beautiful vocals you will not love it.  A choice was made by the director and whether you share his vision depends on how much you will love it.  

I liked it.   Would I say its the best movie of the year - no.  It was a different way to film a movie musical.  

Would I buy the soundtrack?  Definitely not.  

It is fun though picking out Adam Pearce,  Killian Donnelly, Fra Fee, Alistair Brammer and Hadley Fraser.

#655 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Booked my tickets last week to go today and was really looking forward to it - this film did not disappoint at all!

Rest of the review may contain spoilers if you haven't seen the show (or the film yet).

Can't pick a favourite performance between Anne Hathaway (believe the hype, if she doesn't win the Oscar she will have been robbed), Hugh Jackman (puts so much emotion into every song) and Eddie Redmayne.

Anne Hathaway gave so much to I Dreamed A Dream, she made me cry just by looking at her.

Russell Crowe was well cast as Javert and there was a very touching scene when he put his medal on Gavorche.

There was a nice nod to the original production with Colm Wilkinson playing the Bishop who was at the start and then end of the film. I loved the last scene and overall can't wait to see it again!

#656 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Just come back from seeing the film and was thoroughly impressed that it lived up to the fantastic stage show. I agree with the above poster about the three main stars especially Anne Hathaway who was outstanding! Aaron Tveit who played Enjorlas showed star quality and enjoyed his portrayal of the character. I hope the film does well and encourages more people to go the theatre. Looking forward to seeing it again soon.

#657 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

For my penny - I had seen the trailers and was not sure if I would like it.I DID like it.As good as Anne was she was only in the movie for about 30 minutes and not sure if that was an Oscarworthy 30 minutes.I DO think Jackman is Oscarworthy.I really disliked Crowe - I shuddered whenever he came on the screen .. It was another Brosnan in Mamma Mia event for me.Thought Eddie Redmayne was VERY good

#658 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Is it just me or is Javert portrayed more sympathetically in the film than in the show? I thought the scene
Spoiler
  was touching.

#659 Mallow

Mallow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostJon, on 11 January 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Is it just me or is Javert portrayed more sympathetically in the film than in the show? I thought the scene
Spoiler
  was touching.

I read an interview with Russell Crowe where he said he'd signed on with the hope of making Javertmore human.

#660 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think I saw Frances Ruffelle as the prostitute who sang "Come on dearie why all the fuss"
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users