808 replies to this topic

#671 les mis lover

les mis lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Haven't been to see many films where an ordinary audience applauded at the end and stayed right to the end of the credits listening to the music (well done Vue for not putting the lights on.

Same in cinema I went too.

Sam was quite simply perfection, her performance sets the standard for Eponines for me from now on.  Her theatre training really showed though, she and the ensemble sounded so much crisper and had much more depth of tone than the others.

Have to agree.

#672 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone mentioned Linzi Hateley,who was in Turning?

And why was Amanda Seyfried doing an impression of a sheep?

#673 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 11 January 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

Has anyone mentioned Linzi Hateley,who was in Turning?

And why was Amanda Seyfried doing an impression of a sheep?

I only noticed Gina Beck in Turning, it was so short!  Not that that's a complaint though, I hate that song.

I thought Amanda was far better than I was expecting, and her singing was fine.

#674 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Linzi was the first to sing in Turning, I think.

And good to see Michael Jibson as the foreman!

#675 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

While Sam Barks was perfect and the ensemble brilliant (I especially enjoyed seeing Gina Beck and Hannah Waddingham getting screen time and solo lines), the standout for me was Anne Hathaway. I actually love that she sang IDAD so differently -- it was raw and full of pain, and even though she wasn't on screen for very long she was definitely my favourite. Great film!
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#676 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

View Postposter J, on 11 January 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

(well done Vue for not putting the lights on).

Complete opposite to my local Cineworld, who put the lights on the instant the credits started

#677 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Saw this last night and as much as Anne Hathaway deserves an oscar, is Sam Barks not at least nomination worthy?

I personally really liked look down, but the rest of the prologue I hated (apart from Mr Wilkinson of course), but I think that this film was cut badly. not because there were cuts, but it was so blatant where there was a cut as the music suddenly changed in an instant, seemed very odd. Having said that, overall I thought the film was phenomenal! Admittedly I hated Bring Him Home and there was one person there laughing at his awful attempt to sing it, but oh well, I still say overall a good casting choice.

Russell Crowe acted the role brilliantly, but vocally he just didn't quite have it down, I actually liked the bit of foreshadowing in stars, and in stars i think Russell's voice actually worked.

Eddie Redmayne was very good, a bit of head wobbling on his vibrato which annoyed me a little, but that is just me nitpicking.

Samantha Barks = Perfect. I will marry her.

Amanda Seyfried is actually liked, her trilly vibrato annoyed some but I personally think it sort of suited the role, and strangely when she sang 'Everyday you walk with stronger step etc.' her voice was really crisp, and I thought her voice sounded wonderful then, so if she could have done that the whole film Im not quite sure why she didnt.

Enough has been said about Anne Hathway already, other than possibly the fact it looked a tad strange when she suddenly appeared over Hugh Jackmans shoulder in the finale.

Aaron Tveit as Enjolras I thought was terrific, it was nice to hear a strong Musical Theatre voice in there as well, for me he was possibly the strongest male performance.

I felt George Blagden didn't make the most of Grantaire, although wasn't given much screen time so maybe can be let off.

Daniel Huttleston acted Gavroche very well, his voice annoyed me a little, but most the time Gavroche's voice does.

Isabelle Allen, Oscar Worthy? Well maybe not that good, but her castle on a cloud was touching you really believed her story.

The Thenardiers were very good I thought, Master of the House was well done as it was a bit of comic relief, I think it was a shame that Dog eat Dog and Beggars at the Feast were cut, as it didn't really make them out to be the evil people, just slight annoyances.

Overall excellent film, Audience applause at the end, most of the people walking out were talking about how they cried the whole way through, can't wait to see it again!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#678 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostJon, on 11 January 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Was Michael Ball ever offered a part in the film or did Sweeney Todd commitments prevent it from happening?

I heard him interviewed by Chris Evans the other day - I think he said it was discussed but dates didn't work out, but they agreed he could do the first recording of the new song for the film (other than the soundtrack, obviously) for his new album
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#679 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostMS1995, on 12 January 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Saw this last night and as much as Anne Hathaway deserves an oscar, is Sam Barks not at least nomination worthy?
To be honest, I thought she was still pretty 'safe' in her performance. Agree on Anne, though, I'm very happy she is being recognised.

#680 glossie

glossie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Nothing much to add to all the previous reviews. I agree with most.

Overall, I loved it. I was a little disappointed with Hugh Jackman's singing which I was really looking forward to. I felt it was a bit nasal, but his acting was so wonderful, I managed to get over it!

Anne Hathaway, well it's all been said. I agree that the Thenardiers were played for light relief rather than the wicked monsters portrayed in the story but they were okay. Thought Helena BC was a vast improvement over her Mrs Lovett!

Now, I admit I don't like Russell Crowe. I'm not a film person so I've only ever seen him in Gladiator on TV but he's one of those actors I just don't take to. My mind hasn't been changed. He is no great singer.  And all those awful close-ups - I just felt like I wanted to slap him! Javert is my favourite character from any book I've read and I feel very protective towards him - contrary to some people's belief, he is not evil, cruel or malicious - and I was relieved that he was at least portrayed as a dedicated officer of the law, even if it was only on one level....

Anyway. I cried. A lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users