808 replies to this topic

#681 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed it and the scene that an above poster mentioned between Gavroche and Javert broke me!

I think people are still forgetting that they wanted the film to be grounded much more in reality and not like any other musical theatre films that have gone before, so gone are the sweeping over the top characters, gone are the full on belt in the song. Les Mis is about the raw emotion that undercuts all the characters, its something that on stage you very rarely get to do at that intensity and for that it works. I honestly don't think you should or could compare it to the stage version as the two different mediums have so many differences in the basics of the form that it can't be done on a fair assessment.

And for that reason alone is why I though RC performance when watched in the context of the whole film really works, I knew I wasn't going to get an Earl Carpenter or a Norm Lewis, but I thought his stoic portrayal works given the circumstances of his character (be interesting to see how many of you have read the book...and those of you who hadn't thought what is the Elephant from Phantom doing in the barricade)

For me HJ was sensational, I have never seen so much emotion and conviction put into JVJ before - there is a really good interview with him where Colm said to him "Hugh, when I created the role I didn't perform it as it was written, I had my own reasons as to why and I had to make it work for me, you are now JVJ and you have to make it your role, you have to be him" and I thought he did that from teh very start.

Sam Barks - I would marry tomorrow.

Amanda Seyfried isn't the strongest singer but I think her voice and vibratto has been dulled down in post edit if you compare top the trailers, especially when singing in duets.

Anne Hathaway - whilst I thought her performance was stunning, not sure for me it was Oscar worthy

Aaron Tveit - was brilliant as were most of the ensemble.

My real dissapointments were SCB and HBC at trying too hard and with very little impact both vocally or in performance.

But overall all whilst not perfect this is a real step forward in realising musicals for the screen and I can't wait for Miss Saigon now!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#682 Wickeder

Wickeder

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have to say I loved it, and did actually feel the tears welling up on a few occasions - that surprised me!

Funnily enough I've heard the tracks from the soundtrack on Ken Bruce this week, it was his featured album. I certainly won't be paying for that as in isolation it was very flat. If I want the music there are far better recordings (my current fave the anniversary tour with JOJ). On film it's a different story, and it works.

I found Russell's voice a little disappointing but it didn't ruin anything. As Laughingmonsta says we've got numerous Javerts to listen to, but in context Russell gets away with it.

I think as devotees of the show we could all pick things we'd have cut differently or not cut at all, which is why I really hope there's a directors cut for the DVD. Wasn't it over 4 hours before edits?

As a film it had me totally gripped after the first 10 mins or so and I thought Redmayne, Barks, Jackman and Hathaway were superb. Great to see the West End guys in there too (something a little extra for those in the know I suppose). Will definitely be going back to see it again next week to get the big screen experience again.

Only one thing if Cameron is reading - please don't be tempted to mess with the show on the back of the film. They are what they are, and both work perfectly. I'm sure the show will hugely benefit from the movie with people who've never seen it being drawn to see it live.

#683 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Most of my opinions have already been said. Haven't seen much mention of the new song though, I know why they added it but it didn't really fit, stuck out like a sore thumb to me. What do you reckon?

#684 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Loved it once they got to Paris. Eddie was astonishing and I loved Aaron and all our westend boys. Sam was wonderful. Wish we could have had more of Drink with me than some of  Russell Crowe's stuff, I didnt mind him as much as others but they could have cut things differently.

#685 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 12 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Most of my opinions have already been said. Haven't seen much mention of the new song though, I know why they added it but it didn't really fit, stuck out like a sore thumb to me. What do you reckon?

It was okay - a little bland and won't go down as a Les Mis hit song that's for sure
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#686 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 12 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Sounded like it would have fit better in something like Evita than in Les Mis for me.  It was harmless and Jackman sang it well, but it didn't blend with the rest of the score like everything else does.  I think it was just missing being underscored by one of the recurring melodies.

#687 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostMS1995, on 12 January 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Saw this last night and as much as Anne Hathaway deserves an oscar, is Sam Barks not at least nomination worthy?

I think she is, but seeing as Nicole Kidman didn't even manage an Oscar nomination for a highly praised performance in The Paperboy then Sam didn't have a chance.    She did get a Satellite Award nomination though, and the cast are all nominated for a SAG Award.

Enough has been said about Anne Hathway already, other than possibly the fact it looked a tad strange when she suddenly appeared over Hugh Jackmans shoulder in the finale.

That didn't seem strange to me, I thought it worked really well.  And then her leading him to the Bishop.  What didn't work about that for me was the Bishop suddenly disappearing after that and Hugh and Anne being on the rooftop as the others were on the barricade.   I think Valjean and Fantine should have been on the barricade as well rather than having so many chopped shots.

#688 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Fantine was on the barricade at the end!

#689 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 12 January 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

Fantine was on the barricade at the end!

Was she?  From what I saw Hugh and Anne were on a rooftop, not the barricade!   I didn't even notice her on the barricade, although to be fair I was concentrating on trying to spot Sam, Daniel and the barricade boys through the constantly chopping camera shots!

#690 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Ahhhh it might have been a rooftop then (another extreme close up) ha ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users