• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#691 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I saw this last night :)
Les Miserables is my favourite story of all time. I'm a HUGE fan of Victor Hugo's novel and the musical.
So I found myself welling up as I heard the opening chords playing just out of the sheer joy of seeing the story I love so much being brought to life on screen.
I got teary during What Have I Done?, Anne Hathaway in general, Gavroche's death and, of course, The Epilogue.
I thought the cast - mostly - were fantastic. Russell Crowe was a little hit and miss for me but overall the standard was pretty impressive.
The Thenardier's were deffinately more on the comedic side - I'd have preferred them to be portrayed as the more out and out villains from the book. But I guess for the sake of balance, they needed something to lighten the tone a little....
I really hope Anne get's her Oscar! Out of all the nominations I think Les Mis deserves this win the most. Her Fantine is heartbreaking.
I loved the rearrangement of the song placements - especially DYHTPS, it worked so well with Lamarque's funeral as the centrepiece, much better than the cart ride in the stage show.
The singing is certainly not the best I've heard, but I didn't expect it to be. If I want to listen to Les Mis sung perfectly I'll listen to a cast recording or watch one of the anniversary dvd's. But in the film it works, it makes the characters seem like real, authentic people.

So overall, I think the film is a hit!
And playing 'spot-the-actor' is great fun as there are plenty of cameos!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#692 souchyboyy

souchyboyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Was there at the first screening, like half of my town I think!!
It was unquestionably everything I had hoped for and even more. It was a different telling to what I expected, with songs being moved around to fit with this, but I think the new order fits even better!!

Hugh was superb, as was Russell (even if the singing is a little dodgy) and i thought Javert's suicide was just stunning, it truly captured the whole meaning of it.

Everyone is raving about Anne but I have to join in. She was a revelation to me and the highlight of the film. IDAD took on a new meaning for me, as she bit out every word. It being after Lovely Ladies made it even more heart-breaking. That was the first time I cried. And she HAS to win her Oscar. SPECTACULAR

Eddie was better than I thought, I knew very little about him so expectations weren't high. Amanda was alright, she was my only problem. She acted it well but she did honestly sing like a goat, the vibrato was craaaaazy.

Sam was my other highlight. I  cried from when she came on to when she left. it was just such a perfect casting and a big 'up' for theatre. She was just wonderful and I wish she'd had an Oscar nomination :(

Sacha and Helena were light relief as the Thenardiers, and i really liked that, it didnt need to be malicious, just something a bit light.

The epilogue pretty much killed me, it was filmed perfectly with it all ending up on the barricade at the end. And that was the 7th and final time I cried. I loved watching the ensemble and seeing Gina Beck, Hannah Waddingham, Bertie Carvel, Kerry Ellis, Alexia Khadime and many many more. Proves the West End is a pretty magic place!!

I have not seen something quite as emotionally draining and inspiring, and it didn't feel like 2 and a half hours at all. it flew past. and I now want to go again. And again...

#693 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I saw this last night and thought it was just wonderful. I don't think I've ever cried so much at a film! Anne Hathaway needs to win that Oscar - I was in tears the entire time she was on screen, her portrayal is just so heartbreaking. Hugh Jackman was much better than I thought he would be, as I originally thought he was a little bit young for the role, but he acted it superbly. I did however hate Bring Him Home. Jackman seemed to shout it when it should be sung softly and that was a big disappointment for me.

Russell Crowe was a huge disappointment too. He just didn't have enough power and 'oomph' that I expect from Javert. Stars was a big let down, however I didn't mind the Soliloquy as I thought that was shot well.

Eddie Redmayne was just lovely. He did his best with such a drippy part that is Marius and sang it beautifully, despite his slightly annoying head wobble thing. I wasn't keen on the way Empty Chairs was filmed though, I would've preferred less close-ups and awkward angles there.

Amanda Seyfried did the best with, again, such a boring character and I actually thought her voice was quite lovely, despite it not being technically perfect.

Sam Barks was just wonderful as expected! She gave a very emotional performance and managed to wrench some more tears out of me, which Eponine has never managed to do before.

Young Cosette and Gavroche were great and managed not to annoy me, which is usually the case on stage!

The Thenardiers were fine. Just fine. They made me laugh appropriately and I enjoyed their time onscreen, however they were nothing special and I've seen better. I really missed Dog Eats Dog and their general evilness.

The ensemble were all very good. I loved seeing some familiar faces and informing my partner at the end that "we've seen the guy in the green waistcoat as Raoul"! Aaron Tveit was good, if not a little less powerful than I'd hoped for. His singing was great though and I thought he worked with Eddie well.

As for the chopping and changes, I thought many of them worked very well. A few line changes annoyed me, particularly one in the Prologue between JVJ and Javert that just didn't seem to rhyme anymore. I did however love how they moved some of the songs around, particularly having DYHTPS after One Day More, they seem to run seamlessly into each other. The idea of having it at eh funeral was great.
One more thing I loved is how much more of the story I seem to understand now. I own a copy of the book but I've never got round to reading it, so only have the stage show to go on. The film seemed to explain so much more, even with the caption at the beginning explaining the backstory that it's so many years after the French Revolution and a new king is on the throne. That is something I've never really understood, not being knowledgable in French history! Another thing was having Javert order JVJ to bring the 'really heavy' flag in at the beginning, therefore showing that he is a very strong man from the start, leading the way for the runaway cart scene. Finally, another thing I liked was that they altered the only flaw I've ever found in the musical - how could they arrest another man thinking he was JVJ if he doesn't have 24601 branded on his skin. In the film, there is no mention of the brand and Hugh Jackman is even shown with his chest out and there is no bran there.

Sorry for the fragmented review, basically I loved the film.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#694 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postjaqs, on 12 January 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Loved it once they got to Paris. Eddie was astonishing and I loved Aaron and all our westend boys. Sam was wonderful. Wish we could have had more of Drink with me than some of  Russell Crowe's stuff, I didnt mind him as much as others but they could have cut things differently.

I could have typed exactly this myself!! Agree with everything you said.

#695 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View Postthatgirlsophie, on 12 January 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

Complete opposite to my local Cineworld, who put the lights on the instant the credits started
The cineworld here kept the lights down until the end of the credits.  I enjoyed the film but still prefer the stage show as the film seemed a little slow at times.

#696 hedwig12

hedwig12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I had shared a link, but it has been deleted... so you can delete this entry too... thank you!

#697 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

What's she got to do with this? (Nothing.)

Also, as for the mention about the supposed 'flaw' in the musical plot: Valjean does not have a 24601 brand in the musical, it's simply a bar. The number is only on his shirt. I'm assuming the brand is supposed to be on his wrist in the film considering he stops Cosette from looking at it, but that wouldn't make any sense in the musical considering nobody could see it.
The lyrics about the other man mistaken for Valjean having 'a brand upon his skin' is about precisely that: a bar shaped brand that indicates he's an ex con. It's not the plot hole you may think it is.

#698 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I saw Les Mis last night and I agree with all the praise that everyone has given! Anne Hathaway broke my heart.

I cried quite a few times: "I Dreamed a Dream" and "A Little Fall of Rain" got me. Then when Javert gives Gavroche his medal, for some reason I found that so moving and I tore up at that too! "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" had me holding back tears; I thought Eddie Redmayne acted this part really well. And then, finally, the Epilogue when everyone is on the barricade. Such a perfect ending!

#699 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

It was only shown quickly but the brand isnt on his wrists - he has clear scarring much alike to when you slit your wrists, presumably from years of the cuffs cutting into his writs
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#700 Javert's Revenge

Javert's Revenge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi everyone - long time lurker first time poster - had to make an account just to ask your opinion on a couple of things from the movie, which I thought was fantastic of course!

Does anyone know, or can think of any reason at all why the lines were switched at the end of the factory scene? I just couldn't think of a possible reason at all, other than perhaps it was an actual HJ mistake, and they didn't have another take to use that worked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users