808 replies to this topic

#711 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

the lyric in at the end of the day changing "the winter is coming on fast ready to kill" to "the plague is coming on fast" puzzled me, not a big change but couldnt work out why

#712 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I loved it - none in the little changes to lines or moving of songs bothered me. I was unexpectedly moved by Javert's decoration on Gavroche - I thought it fed well into his suicide, that the world had turned upside down enough for him to recognise the valour and tragedy of his death.

That said, Crowe was the weak link, vocally.

#713 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 13 January 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

In the last stage version I saw, Grantaire had an affection and protective attachment to Gavroche.  That was sacrificed.
It wasn't exactly sacrificied considering it's not supposed to be part of Grantaire's character in the first place... He's a drunk and practically in love with Enjolras, not Gavroche's surrogate father.

#714 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostTitan, on 13 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

the lyric in at the end of the day changing "the winter is coming on fast ready to kill" to "the plague is coming on fast" puzzled me, not a big change but couldnt work out why

I noticed that as well and thought it was strange, but it didn't annoy me half as much as Hugh Jackman inexplicably switching the 'I run a business of repute; I am the mayor of this town' lines around.  That was irritating!    And the lyrics changes in the finale, while understandable in terms of the narrative, didn't impress me either.  Neither did most of the changes to the narrative/songs on the barricade, particularly the complete lack of mention of Eponine's death after she was carried away - there's a wonderful line in the stage show about her being the first to fall and that she will not have died in vain that should have been in the movie in my opinion.

#715 Haz23

Haz23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I loved it, and surprisingly found it more understandable than the stage show. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway MUST win those Oscars. I didn't like Russell Crowe, I winced slightly every time he sang, however I agree with the above posters and thought Javert giving Gavroche his medal was very moving. Eddie Redmayne was perfect, his 'Empty Chairs' broke me.

All in all it was wonderful, wouldn't say no to seeing it again!
Broadway: Avenue Q; Newsies; The Phantom of the Opera.

London's West End: Wicked x3; War Horse; The Phantom of the Opera; Jersey Boys x3; Sister Act; Lend Me A Tenor; Betty Blue Eyes; Legally Blonde; Les Miserables x2; A Chorus Line; The Book of Mormon; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

UK Tour: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; Annie; Blood Brothers x2; We Will Rock You; Sister Act; South Pacific; Chicago; Starlight Express; Hairspray; Priscilla Queen of the Desert; Cats; Carnaby Street; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Ghost; Singin' in the Rain x2; Stomp.

#716 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

To your point Cactus, I guess I am referring to how I've seen Grantaire played of late by Adam Linstead.  He definitely is quite attached to Gavroche and I always thought it was a small point that evolved the character from little more than a drunk with an unexplained but deeply evident attachment to Enjolras.  It fleshed the character out and I thought gave it a depth the 'second string' student characters generally don't benefit from.  In the flim, I didn't get a particular sense that any of the students paid particular attention to Gavroche... he always seemed to be hovering around and inserting himself into the action but he I didn't get a strong sense of connection with anybody.  

Interestingly my companion at the film was seeing the story pretty cold - she'd seen in on stage ten years ago - and she felt the movie better explained much of the story, which I think was down to the La Marque funeral sequence.  I did think that was genius.  

I was thinking about it this morning and I wonder if the sung through musical doesn't work as well on screen as the dialogue and song musical.  I do think the live singing contributed tremendously to the strengths of this film version.

The Plague coming on fast seemed rather silly to me, too.  I assumed the plague in Europe was long done by the early 1800s and it was - the last outbreak in France was in Marseilles in 1720.  Hardly a deal breaker but nonetheless doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think I have to see it again to see if my initial impressions still hold.

#717 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 11 January 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

Has anyone mentioned Linzi Hateley,who was in Turning?

And why was Amanda Seyfried doing an impression of a sheep?

You are wrong there......it was a goat. She was dreadful.
I actually surprised myself as to how much I liked the film. The bits that have been released do no do it justice. I thought Jackman was best when he was at full belt, BHH wasnt his best. I was irritated by the lyric edits "I run a business of repute I am the mayor of this town" was flipped "I am the mayor of this town I run a business of repute" or something similar...why? It stopped it scanning/ryhming
I intend to see it again, where I wont be Wender spotting.

#718 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 13 January 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

The raw emotion from whoever it was who collected Gavroche's body.  It was the only point in the whole film I was moved to tears.  (I would have, should have been moved by Anne Hathaway, but we've all been so exposed to her I Dreamed a Dream already that it was more of a confirmation of all the hype.)

It was Fra Fee, left the stage show last year after playing Prouvairre and understudy Marius. One of my absolute favourite west end performers.  I thought the barricade boys did themselves proud and hope many more opportunities come their way because of this film. Someone mentioned in an earlier post about how David Thaxton should have been given the role of Enjolras; I couldnt agree more. I dont dislike Aaron at all, but I wanted more power in the performance and I think Thaxton would have given that.

#719 Pippin

Pippin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

1st post as a lurker here although an alumnus of the DC board!!

I rather enjoyed fit despite, for me, the real weaknesses being Crowe's singing. As a result I felt limited emotional attachment to Javert. That said, his moment with Gavroche was potent and his suicide was very moving. I just wish I could have cared more about his Javert.

I also felt the music to be somewhat turned down so I lost that epic sweep of the sound, although I appreciate an in-your-face assault of the wonderful music with volume turned up might have detracted somewhat. But it took some getting used to for me.

I rather liked Redmayne's Marius, esp his singing, even though I felt him a bit limited acting-wise, but boy he looked good and I would have fallen for him!!! Empty Chairs was marvellous, and more so in its simplicity. Hugh J was a perfectly decent JVJ but I also felt his BHH to be lacking vocally, although it was moving.

Anne H was great. I really loved her Fantine. Liked Samantha Barks although curiously On My Own, while sung with conviction and with great flair, didn't move me the way that song has done before. Not quite sure why. Still it was nice to have a full-on stagey number on the screen.

I normally am a blubbering mess at moving shows when watching them on stage but it took until Gavroche's death for me to well up in the film, and from that point on, well It didn't take much....that finale was, for me, just stunning.

And it was so nice to be in a cinema with the other members of the audience in utter silence throughout.

#720 mikeacthomas

mikeacthomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Saw it Friday. Blown away! Thought entire cast was fantastic even Russell Crowe. Don't know why everyone's having a pop at him. Ok, so not a perfect voice but it was fine for me. Thought the acting and his relationship with Hugh Jackman was perfect.

Anne Hathaway will definitely win the Oscar for her incredible performance & I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman doesn't win best actor. He was sublime.

Amanda Seyfried was good as were Sacha Baron-Cohen & Helena Bonham-Carter. I was, however, bowled over by Samantha Barks and especially Eddie Redmayne who was brilliant.

The most important thing for me was that this was an outstanding group of talented actors who can sing rather than a group of singers who can act.

It's the best film I've seen, musical or otherwise, and it got a huge ovation at the end! 5 out of 5 stars from me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users