808 replies to this topic

#741 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Also I don't think anyone is arguing it should have been cast entirely by unknown stage actors. There are many high profile movie actors who started on the musical stage and can sing and act beautifully whether on stage or on camera like Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman. Mandy Patinkin, Luke Evans, Neil Patrick-Harris to name a few more

#742 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostCactus, on 14 January 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Having seen professionally filmed stage performances or watched them from the front row at smaller theatres like the Donmar Warehouse or Southwark Playhouse, I have to disagree. There certainly are actors who can reach both those right in front of them with their eyes and the last row of the circle. (And we shouldn't forget that Eddie Redmayne is very much a theatre performer, too.)

Indeed,  there's a lot of good MT performers who look fine acting viewing  in close up  from row A or F of the stalls, from five feet away in some small fringe space or cabaret, in plays, or  on TV. And in the Les Mis film some of the film actors are the ones doing the most unconvincing acting.

#743 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

They had a great all star, big name cast.  I wish they'd compromised on Javert and gone with one of the numerous principally stage actors who could have done justice to the role.  Then again, Hugh in my books was only adequate so maybe a strong Javert would have increased mixed reaction to him.  I thought Hugh did a great job of acting the role but his voice was no Ramin Karimloo, John Owen Jones, Alfie Boe, Geronimo Rauch... everybody will have a better voice to nominate.

#744 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostD, on 14 January 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

Hmmmm 6/10 from me.

Huge Jackman was very good as were Anne Hathaway and Samantha Barks!!

Russell Crowe wasn't awful but his singing voice was odd.

I like Amanda Seyfried but her voice grates after a while.

Eddie Redmayne was not right in the role.

Sacha Baron-Cohen - one minute he's cockney, then he's French, next minute he's Ali G.

Helena Bonham-Carter was Helena Bonham-Carter.

Aaron Tveit's accent didn't hold all the way through.

It was a shame to have so many close ups so we couldn't see the costumes and sets better.

I think they should've not relied on names so much and involved more Theatre actors.

I think Anne and Hugh would've been a big enough draw.

I agree Anne, Hugh and Sam. Interestingly,  I think they were the last three faces that appeared - so others may think the same.  Anne deserves her Oscar. Hugh was fine for me. Sam was a relevation - if you do  want that kind of Eponine,  she's probably now playing her  better than anyone  I have seen or heard.  Young Cosette and Gavroche were also excellent.  

I just didn't get Russell Javert.  Earl, Hadley or Tam all work better - at any  distance from a camera-  portraying anywhere on the religious duty-OCD spectrum  -  there must have been an alternative?  To misquote Hermione Granger, he had all the vocal range of a teaspoon.

I thought Amanda was vastly better in the cinema than she's sounded on the youtube  trailers - but I saw it in the Odeon Leicester Square which has a very good sound system.  She's sounding  as good as many recent stage Cosettes. They went with the standard passive Cosette and built the relationship on the one look though - which gave her little to play with. Having seen it with someone who can and was allowed to play Cosette as a more assertive active character,  I think there's more to play for.

I liked Eddie. Why they took the drums out of Empty Tables I will never know - it always used to get the audience response it was  put in for.

I have no idea why Monsieur Thenardier was visiting from Allo Allo.There was no reason to speak zee French when no one else in zee entire movie var  it was just trop distracting. The Thenardiers used to be cockney but they seem to have watered that down  in the stage show (to be PC or because people couldn't do the accent?)  and he was on his own in the film with that too when he developed split language disorder. The panto Thenardiers looked odd in the  film -  when the stage show has gone back to making them realistic -  after they turned up as comics in the 25th, and the stage show for a while after. It fits though with taking out Dog Eat Dog  (could he sing it?)  and a general theme of cutting out some of the good versus evil message of the musical. I thought Helena was fine - much like recent stage versions,  apart from some odd editing. She had some of the extra lines that did actually add something useful.  

Agree the closeups were overkill - so much so that they lost their impact. Sam and Anne were amazing in theirs  though.

I thought the students and ensemble, when they were allowed to sing, sounded great. They mangled too many ensemble pieces though, as well as cutting bits of some lead's songs. Turning was just moving to something really good when it got cut, Lovely Ladies was curtailed too much too. The reason seems to have  been  to fit in all the added bits of story exposition - which filled in what should have been blindingly obvious and works fine for most people in the stage show - with extra scenes and lost flow . Perhaps thats necessary for a new audience - perhaps it was overkill? Why Suddenly was bothered with I don't know. Skyfall is a shoe in for that Oscar i should think and it filled in the blindingly obvious in the story..

Not sure about putting in that many more stage stars. Most people worked for me. On the other hand  Sam showed how good it could be with them ,  and the 2009 EPK looks fine, from what we have seen of it,  if thats what a film with the best stage actors looks like. I think they did what they did with the 25th   - and just added two or three  big names too many for the wrong reasons. In the 25th they managed to correct one impending problem at the last minute and got a brilliant result with one obvious exception, here a couple of problems remained. They lost a bit more by putting in the new exposition scenes and taking away from the musical impact doing so,   and they lost a bit of the emotion playing around with the  themes of love, good versus evil and the struggle for the rights of man.  to make them more politically acceptable and PC.  I can forgive some of what was missing,  for the idea of having Colm appear to sing at the  very end - which I thought was a brilliant touch.

Overall though I still thought it was really good.

#745 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

I don't get why people are liking Eddie Redmayne. His singing is awful.. He has no facial expression... And all he does is vibrate his chin when he sings.

I love Hugh Jackmsn, but I found his singing a big embarrassingly musical theatre.. And harsh.

Anne Hathaway- nothing but praise. A brave and powerful performance.

#746 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 15 January 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

I don't get why people are liking Eddie Redmayne. His singing is awful.. He has no facial expression... And all he does is vibrate his chin when he sings.

I love Hugh Jackmsn, but I found his singing a big embarrassingly musical theatre.. And harsh.

Anne Hathaway- nothing but praise. A brave and powerful performance.

No I didn't like Eddie's voice either. His mouth is extremely odd when singing too, but we can't hold that against him.

#747 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 15 January 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

He was far more in tune and had much more facial expression than Crowe....

#748 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postposter J, on 15 January 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

He was far more in tune and had much more facial expression than Crowe....

Hardly a ringing endorsement . . .

#749 Pippin

Pippin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I liked and "got" Thenadier's accent variation in that it highlights how much off a fraud he is. If that was the intention. If not, it worked perfectly on that level

#750 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Its opened in the UK bigger than Mamma Mia

http://www.dailymail...ing-aisles.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users