• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#771 mikeacthomas

mikeacthomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

I've listened to the soundtrack over and over again in the car and I think Russell Crowe sang his songs really well especially Stars. It's interesting if you isolate each song and really listen to them then I believe you hear them differently from hearing them in the middle of a film in a cinema.

#772 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Soundtrack re-release with 22 more tracks announced. I knew they would do this! Glad I didn't buy the highlights.

DVD also out in March - bit soon?
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#773 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

What's the date for the DVD?

I preordered the CD but can only find the US release of the DVD
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#774 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

The DVD release is in the US, UK release not known.  I would expect it to be April/May as it came out three weeks earlier in the states and they are still doing a big advertising push (ive noticed new billboards going up together with new tv adverts this week)

#775 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

yes it's a bit transparent to release a fuller version of the soundtrack after the highlights version. and the money kept rolling in......

#776 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 15 February 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

yes it's a bit transparent to release a fuller version of the soundtrack after the highlights version. and the money kept rolling in......

Well the money presumably rolled out a bit to make the extended CD as well.  It's nothing new.

If people were that bothered about the original release only being highlights, like I was, then they wouldn't have bought it and would have waited to see if a full version was forthcoming.  If not, then the highlights could have bneen bought at a later date, no fuss.

And as a result I'll happily be buying the full version feeling very glad I had the self-restraint not to rush out and waste my money buying the soundtrack at the first opportunity.

Unless A Little Fall of Rain is still missing, of course, in which case I won't be buying anything.

#777 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Had a little laugh reading comments under the Facebook announcement...just the same 'I feel ripped off, I won't be buying' comments over and over again...how can people feel so strongly over a CD?
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#778 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

if the film had flopped they wouldnt have released the second cd.

#779 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

That's the advantage if buying MP3 tracks. Just add any others at a later date, if you want them.

#780 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Sorry to ramble, but lots I felt about this.  I finally saw this a few days ago, and it's ace.  In my opinion, this particular film worked because as a piece of cinema it was more akin to Doctor Zhivago than Hello Dolly! - it was an epic with singing, rather than a musical about grandiose events.  Thus the live singing worked, which I would hate to see in every movie musical.  For one, the "Drink with Me" felt genuinely like a moment I might have after one too many drinks with old friends, albeit slightly more professional and technically accomplished.  It's a fine balance, but this struck it.  An awful lot of manly cough, something in my eye moments.  The end - that quartet, with Anne Hathaway and Colm Wilkinson back - was truly touching.

Anne Hathaway there's nothing left to say - just give her the Oscar - but too little credit has gone to Eddie Redmayne (who knew he could sing like THAT!) and Samantha Barks who were lovely and wonderful.  Hugh Jackman gave an absolutely consummate performance as a man growing older and going through different changes, thus his slightly ragged "Bring Him Home" worked, after the mightier "Who Am I" and the soliloquy.  New song nice and nicely sung.  Russell Crowe is... I, against my logical better judgement, enjoyed his singing.  He worked in a cinematic context - his film version is better than his "professional" version of "Stars" - and couldn't derail the thing.  What almost does, for me, is the Thenadiers, which reminded me of the terrible A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum film - funny on stage, cleverly done on stage, replicated on film badly.  It felt out of place.  But again, wasn't actually bad, just odd.  And I thought Baron Cohen was pretty good in that role (the multiple accents was, for that character, actually really smart), and Bonham Carter might have played herself but was enjoyable doing so.  Colm Wilkinson not only a lovely touch but really good in it.  And musical arrangements are really good too!

I liked that it didn't try to replicate anything theatrical and it was greatly cinematic.  In the West Side Story film, in the Quintet, one person sings "The Jets are gonna have their wa-day, toniiiiiight", and that ruggedness also was present and perfect here.  I haven't seen the stage musical since I was much younger, but nowhere here did it draw obvious comparisons, which is good - any good theatre to film transition should avoid those anyway.  Tom Hooper evidently understands cinema and its differences to theatre and exploits those.  The barricade being created, for example, was goosebumpy here in the unification of a peoples, as opposed to goosebumpy for the stagecraft, the whispering and crescendo of "Do You Hear the People Sing" felt like any great battle chant from an epic - like the whistling of Bridge on the River Kwai, or Men of Harlech in Zulu - and the isolation of "Empty Chairs" matched, for emotions, the theatrical ghosts.  Not just the best musical in a while (the last movie musical I saw was Nine, and blimey does that make you lose your faith in the medium), but the best epic in a while too - to merit favourable comparisons with both the West Side Story film and David Lean says it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users