#781 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Nicholas, I was reading your post and really enjoyed it and i have to admit, I found it quite honest and I tend to agree with  lot of what you've said.

I agree with your comments regarding Tom Hooper and that the whispering and crescendo of "Do You Hear the People Sing" felt like any great battle chant. I think the film also stands independent of the stage show.

I also strongly agree with your comments regarding the film of the musical Nine.

Interesting also what you have said and the reference and comparison to West Side Story. I recently attended a discussion regarding the film at the BFI Southbank with Tom hooper, Claude-Michele Shonberg, Simon Hayes and Anne Dudley where Shonberg freely admitted that the Quintent in West Side Story with the multi-layered approach was his inspiration for One Day More
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#782 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

Les Mis at the Oscars - congrats to Anne Hathaway, nice to see Redmayne and Barks get such a public platform.  But then there's Russell Crowe.  I think someone might have turned up his mike, which makes someone a sadist.  I didn't mind him in the film, but here dear God it was shouty, bellowy, out of time and all the wrong notes.  Les Mis won for Sound Mixing, which is evidently because they made Russell Crowe not seem toe curlingly bad.  For that it deserved it.

#783 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Was great to see Samantha Barks :)

I am suprised they only won 1 award though ..

#784 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

They won 3 - Supporting Actress, Sound Mixing and Make-up & Hairstyling

#785 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Enjoyed the Oscars performance (Crowe and the bad cutting of One Day More aside), though I'm not quite sure who thought it was a good idea to try and have bits of IDAD in One Day More even though the melody fits...

Congratulations to Anne Hathaway and the sound and make up teams though :)

And nice to see all the cast getting the prime seats at the front behind Anne and Hugh rather than being stuck at the back.

#786 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Isn't it getting a little old criticizing Russell Crowe.  He was fine last night.  He is never going to have a Broadway/West End voice so best to get over it.

#787 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

He was shocking last night

#788 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

he wasnt shocking!!

his voice may not be suited to the score mainly but he is fine in the movie and makes up for it with the strong acting (certainly stronger than jackman).

#789 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

His microphone was turned up too high, that was the problem.

Once he started singing it was almost impossible to hear anyone else.

#790 choruslines

choruslines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Les Miserables is my favourite musical, and I enjoyed the film very much, even if I didn't agree with some of the casting decisions. The performances of Samantha Barks and Anne Hathaway were magnificent, Samantha in particular. Hugh Jackman was a wonderful Valjean, but Bring Him Home didn't go down well. I also enjoyed (much to my surprise) the Thenardiers. It was also lovely to see Aaron Tveit, Fra Free, Killian Donnelly and so many other theatre performers in it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users