Rachel Robbed!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Guest_Theatre Fan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Theatre Fan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ May 26 2008, 11:18 AM) View Post
To be fair, even as a Sam supporter and a Rachel fan, I originally thought that Rachel would be saved, the consistent professional who would be a safe fall back in the final. Then with Sam getting the lowest votes this week...would that sway his choice?

I think when it came down to it, this was one of his hardest decisions, because his favourite two were in the bottom (showing how out of touch with the public they apparently are)... and he HAD to choose.

He couldn't do it based on the performance of the night. The big problem was that the public has not caught on to Rachel. She was in the sing-off for three weeks, showing her unpopularity week after week. Yes, Sam got the lowest vote this week, but had never been in the bottom before.

He was never going to send Sam home on her first time in the bottom, whereas Rachel (fantastic and talented though she is, and very suited for the role), as far as the public were concerned, had 'overstayed her welcome' and had to go.

Shame though, big shame.

#12 Guest_Guest_theatre fan_*_*

Guest_Guest_theatre fan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

I can't believe what I watched last night - I am actually in shock at the whole thing and to be honest I am not even sure or even care who wins next week.  I thought Rachel was amazing she got the best response from all the judges including ALW and Cameron Mackintosh and even in the sing off she actually moved me - again her acting came through once again and blew Sam off stage.  After all this ALW still saved Sam with no real explanation.  What made me laugh was the look on panels faces at the end - almost in disgust!  Whoever wins next week will need some serious work and I hope that it does not backfire.

I am sure Rachel will get a role soon which is no more than she deserves and I for one will be buying a ticket for it!

#13 annette

annette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

maybe alw was being pragmatic in choosing sam, (and i am glad he did)

think of it this way if someone has been in the bottom 2 and saved a couple of times already, maybe he felt that 3 times was too many and maybe there was not enough public support for her compaired to someone who has never been in the bottom 2 before. (and if they have less public voting support would peoplw pay 50 odd quid to see her in it if they consistantly dont pick up the phone, especially imo on the night of one of her best performances)

and to be honest if on what was one of the best performances from rachel out of the series imo, then surely if the public dont vote on that, maybe she did not have the support needed to help sell the show??

i personally didnt want either of them in the bottom two, and i also think if rachel was up against one of the other 2 the outcome may ahve been different

#14 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Did anyone else think that Sam sang some of Rachel's lines in the sing off? She seemed to have a lot more lines!

I quite liked Rachel but thought that although she really shone in the (speaking) acting tasks, she did have a tendency to overact when singing. Cabaret was fantastic, but only because the overacting didn't matter, in fact was required for once! She shone too late, sadly and doesn't have enough public support to win.

I think the final will be very interesting now. ALW & CM clearly favour Sam, who got the least votes from the public. The two girls that the panel said were "not Nancy" got the highest votes. Public opinion is apparently not in line with ALW & CM, just how far will they go to favour Sam & sabotage Jodie?! Or will they try to fall back on their cleverly created underdog, Jesse?

#15 Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(freckles @ May 26 2008, 01:32 PM) View Post
Did anyone else think that Sam sang some of Rachel's lines in the sing off? She seemed to have a lot more lines!

I quite liked Rachel but thought that although she really shone in the (speaking) acting tasks, she did have a tendency to overact when singing. Cabaret was fantastic, but only because the overacting didn't matter, in fact was required for once! She shone too late, sadly and doesn't have enough public support to win.

I think the final will be very interesting now. ALW & CM clearly favour Sam, who got the least votes from the public. The two girls that the panel said were "not Nancy" got the highest votes. Public opinion is apparently not in line with ALW & CM, just how far will they go to favour Sam & sabotage Jodie?! Or will they try to fall back on their cleverly created underdog, Jesse?

She does not over act though. It may appear that way on TV though. She is a trained stage actress and on a stage show things need to be exagerated slightly and remember it is an acting roll. They are not choosing a singer but for some to perform in a show. Most of the others with the exception of Sam just stand and sing the song. Rachel acts it out which is what is required

The panel have to consider who is best for the roll and not who is the most popular. Clearly on that basis these were Rachel & Sam. The other two move on stage poorly and cannot act which is somewhat of a problem.

#16 Jon - Thenardier

Jon - Thenardier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Rachel looked sceptical when Andrew said 'You've got a great career ahead of you', I'm sure she has no need to be. That girl was amazing and if it was on talent, should have won the competition. Jodie is great too and now should win but she doesn't compare to Rachel.

As for Rachel's ALAHNM, it was absolutely amazing! Definitely the best exiting girl yet. The beginning of the song was just soo emotional that i know she would have had me in tears in the theatre. She nearly did on TV.

Maybe Lady of The Lake for Rachel?! LOL! I think it's still too small a role but she would be perfect for it!

#17 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

Cameron Mackintosh made himself absolutely clear in the VT that he didn't want Rachel. He didn't want a professional!

And much as Rachel has always been very good, she hasn't been imagination catching good. She has been a bit like Daniel Boys in many ways for me, though he was more at the bland end. But whereas I think Jodie will win now, where is she going to go in respect of other roles in the future? Chicago maybe? Her best chance will actually be to get a television job, if she can, because her personality is probably her most saleable commodity. Rachel, on the other hand, will still see her career turned round through this regardless. She has been seen to be good, and she is versatile re other roles. A long while back she said something to the effect that she has never even been considered re pretty girl roles, and this public exposure should have offset that for her. She will be given the chance to prove herself now and I think she will do very well. I think she will be snapped up. I only hope that she takes her time to choose the best of the many opportunities that should become available. And good luck to her!

I also have to agree with the previous poster and the issue that the acting ability and other attributes are not being given enough prominance. And that there simply isn't enough understanding re the requirements of a stage role. And another point that has just occurred to me is that there has been no test of fitness and/or of stamina along the way this time. Nancy isn't a terribly big role, but presuming Jodie wins, albeit with 6 months to get her weight down and fitness up, there could still be a problem.

#18 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Jon - Thenardier @ May 26 2008, 03:42 PM) View Post
As for Rachel's ALAHNM, it was absolutely amazing!

Despite being out of tune, and with the cracked notes?
I agree that she's got a good career ahead of her, but IMHO that was NOT a good performance, and nowhere near the vocal standard she showed through the rest of the competition...

#19 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(sarahd @ May 26 2008, 12:19 AM) View Post
Rachel's rendition of 'Caberet' sent shivers down my spine; I hav ealways supported the lovely Jodie and loved LEE in 'Any Dream Will Do' but this was a whole new level of talent and courage and to send her out after the very bravest performance I have ever seen could have repurcussions. Please look after Rahel tonight and reassure her that she is ... simply the best - regardless of the vote. I was at a wedding or would have had my finger pressed to redial. Disappointed in the taste of the Great British Public. Do you not know raw edgy talent when you see it? No not sweet, poppy Samanthe but awaesome, edgy Rachel. that Girl blew me away tonight and I salute you Rachel as, not one of the best, but the best... by a country mile. Rachel Tucker's name in lights... watch this space, Awesome! Thank you for the best performance I have ever seen on live tv, Rachel. Andrew, have shame... you were so wrong; please look after this girl as you asked her for everything, she gave more that that and then you destroyed her. Who do you think you are? I've loed Laurence from day 1 and know talent when i see it.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!  I can't believe ALW chose Samantha over Rachel, mind you I wouldn't have thought any of them would have been chosen over Rachel.  She absolutey knocked me out with her performance of Cabaret.  She looked so dis-heartened to be going but still kept her professionalism, generosity and her determination.  The best version of As Long As He Needs Me that I have seen!!!  I can only assume and hope that Cameron and Andrew are saving her for something bigger and better, PLEASE CAMERON AND ANDREW!!!!

#20 Guest_Guest_Jonathan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jonathan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

I won't be buying a ticket for this revival.

Sam is sweet and bland, Jodie is Miss Cruise Ship and Jesse is the Irish Elvis. None of them have the gravitas of Rachel. I really do think that CM has got caught up with the celebrity of IDA and now in the cold light of day finds himself with 3 completely unsuitable Nancys.
I have never believed the public voting results of this competition... I think we have been conned once again and all that has been achieved is a lot of publicity for a revival of what was IMHO an average revival in the first place.
If this was being cast in the proper way you would never have the final three being so unsuitable and so sub-standard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users