#21 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(Annasette @ May 26 2008, 04:03 PM) View Post
Cameron Mackintosh made himself absolutely clear in the VT that he didn't want Rachel. He didn't want a professional!

May he rue and lament that decision for the rest of his life.

I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#22 Jon - Thenardier

Jon - Thenardier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(rona910 @ May 26 2008, 04:17 PM) View Post
Despite being out of tune, and with the cracked notes?
I agree that she's got a good career ahead of her, but IMHO that was NOT a good performance, and nowhere near the vocal standard she showed through the rest of the competition...

Gosh! I don't know what you heard. There was one note where she partially cracked and that was due to obvious emotion (and don't say that would happen every night) I think the general consensus is that it was one of the best ALAHNM so far. Why do people always seem to criticise even if there's nothing wrong. It really bugs me that just cos people have a problem with reality casting, they think that they can get away with totally unjutified comments about the auditionees when they would say they were amazing if they had been seen on a west end stage... sorry for a rant....

#23 Guest_Guest_freckles_*_*

Guest_Guest_freckles_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Guest_Bob_* @ May 26 2008, 01:57 PM) View Post
She does not over act though. It may appear that way on TV though. She is a trained stage actress and on a stage show things need to be exaggerated slightly and remember it is an acting roll. They are not choosing a singer but for some to perform in a show. Most of the others with the exception of Sam just stand and sing the song. Rachel acts it out which is what is required

The panel have to consider who is best for the roll and not who is the most popular. Clearly on that basis these were Rachel & Sam. The other two move on stage poorly and cannot act which is somewhat of a problem.

I'm sorry, but I think she does. She always goes just a little bit too far. Of course they are choosing a singer. And an actress.

I think with proper direction , she could tone it down and be brilliant (that's allowing her the "well we've got six months to sort you out "clause that Sam & Jesse keep getting!) I

appreciate that on camera her acting skills appear even more over the top than they would on stage, but there is still too much arm waving and sudden staring for me. And her ALAHNM was terrible.

#24 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

I would be happy if either Jodie or Jessie win (although I'm not voting...??!!) Neither or perfect for the role but both have something and that something, for me, is enough. Jodie I find infectious with a great vocal and presence (although hard to believe Bill Sykes would beat her to death ~ I reckon she would kill him!) and Jessie has these quirks that I find endearing and I like her voice and presence too... sadly the big producer man doesn't like her and that's a shame (don't care what JB thinks).

And Rachel I wish was picked to stay but sadly not so.

#25 Guest_Han_*

Guest_Han_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(Elle @ May 27 2008, 10:19 AM) View Post
I would be happy if either Jodie or Jessie win (although I'm not voting...??!!) Neither or perfect for the role but both have something and that something, for me, is enough. Jodie I find infectious with a great vocal and presence (although hard to believe Bill Sykes would beat her to death ~ I reckon she would kill him!) and Jessie has these quirks that I find endearing and I like her voice and presence too... sadly the big producer man doesn't like her and that's a shame (don't care what JB thinks).

And Rachel I wish was picked to stay but sadly not so.

Jessie has these quirks that I find endearing -really? I wondered what to call them, endearing never occurred to me--I was thinking of words like unprofessional, irritating, etc.

#26 Guest_jan donaldson_*

Guest_jan donaldson_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ May 26 2008, 05:38 PM) View Post
May he rue and lament that decision for the rest of his life.

All the way to Bank!

#27 Guest_Aunty Margaret_*

Guest_Aunty Margaret_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

Having read through lots of comments on the three left - Jesse, Samantha and Jodie - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that, if the part goes to Jodie, there's a possibility that in the scene where Bill Sykes is required to 'hit' Nancy the audience could dissolve into laughter as Jodie looks so spunky that the first thing she'd do is hit him back!  Not sure she has that acting ability to appear to be afraid of him; the impression we're getting from the programme is that she's very 'up front' and 'in your face', not at all the sort of person who would be afraid of someone.  Also, she has to match with Rowan Atkinson - will he look too small and insignificant beside her?  (Especially if you've got seats in the gods.)  What do others think?

I was devastated that Rachel went out but of course it's the popular vote that counts.  In Dickens' novel Nancy is about 17 and a sort of 'older sister' to the boys so I'd like either Samantha or Jessie to win.

#28 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

I am sorry but all this going on about Nancy being 17 is a red-herring.

If you had spent 12 years living on the streets in 1830s London then you would be a heck more mature at 17/18 than current teenagers.

When life is hard, you have to grow up and grow up fast.  

Girls could marry at 12 at that time - boys at 14.

I very much doubt that if we were able to compare an 17 year old from 1835 and one from 2008 we would see many similarities.

Nancy in the adaptation by Lionel Bart (which is the character we are asking these contestants to take on) is not 17.  She is a re-imagining of the character for the musical theatre - and to my mind at least - mid to late 20s if not slightly older.

You have to work with the material in the script and in the score.  And that does not shout teenager to me

#29 Guest_jan donaldson_*

Guest_jan donaldson_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(Aunty Margaret @ May 27 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
Having read through lots of comments on the three left - Jesse, Samantha and Jodie - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that, if the part goes to Jodie, there's a possibility that in the scene where Bill Sykes is required to 'hit' Nancy the audience could dissolve into laughter as Jodie looks so spunky that the first thing she'd do is hit him back!  Not sure she has that acting ability to appear to be afraid of him; the impression we're getting from the programme is that she's very 'up front' and 'in your face', not at all the sort of person who would be afraid of someone.  Also, she has to match with Rowan Atkinson - will he look too small and insignificant beside her?  (Especially if you've got seats in the gods.)  What do others think?

I was devastated that Rachel went out but of course it's the popular vote that counts.  In Dickens' novel Nancy is about 17 and a sort of 'older sister' to the boys so I'd like either Samantha or Jessie to win.

Certainly think Jodie could demolish Bill Sykes.  I suppose they would argue that he had psychological power over her.  However, bearing in mind how little similarity "Oliver' has to Dickens' book I don't think that sort of subtlety would come into it.  Seriously wonder what Rowan Atkinson is doing in it except that he represents bums on from Mr Bean fans.  Take the point that Nancy is supposed to be about 17 but bearing in mind the fact that she has been 'thieving for Fagan' for years, drinks copious amounts of gin and has probably been on the game for 5 years, I am sure in reality she would look well in her 20's.   If you think this is a belated effort to talk up Rachel you are absolutely right.

#30 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Han: "Jessie has these quirks that I find endearing -really? I wondered what to call them, endearing never occurred to me--I was thinking of words like unprofessional, irritating, etc. "

...... or maybe, young, naive, insecure???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users