Rachel Robbed!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_JR_*

Guest_JR_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Aunty Margaret @ May 27 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
Having read through lots of comments on the three left - Jesse, Samantha and Jodie - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that, if the part goes to Jodie, there's a possibility that in the scene where Bill Sykes is required to 'hit' Nancy the audience could dissolve into laughter as Jodie looks so spunky that the first thing she'd do is hit him back!

Do you really believe that only puny women are battered by men?

#32 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Han @ May 27 2008, 11:50 AM) View Post
Jessie has these quirks that I find endearing -really? I wondered what to call them, endearing never occurred to me--I was thinking of words like unprofessional, irritating, etc.

Yes I wouldn't call them quirks either......maybe afflictions might be more appropriate?  Sorry but I am really scared that Jodie is going to win, she is the only one that would put me off going to see the show.  Unprofessional, hyperactive and cabaret are 3 words that I can think of to describe her.  She is a lovely person with a very good heart BUT I don't think she has the professionalism and maturity required (regardless of her now being the oldest contestant left, in a lot of ways Samantha is much more mature despite being 10 years younger!).

#33 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 27 2008, 12:37 PM) View Post
Yes I wouldn't call them quirks either......maybe afflictions might be more appropriate? Sorry but I am really scared that Jodie is going to win, she is the only one that would put me off going to see the show. Unprofessional, hyperactive and cabaret are 3 words that I can think of to describe her. She is a lovely person with a very good heart BUT I don't think she has the professionalism and maturity required (regardless of her now being the oldest contestant left, in a lot of ways Samantha is much more mature despite being 10 years younger!).

Whoops I seem to have mis-read the post that I have quoted previously, I thought the poster was talking about Jodie........hmmmm strange that!?

#34 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(Aunty Margaret @ May 27 2008, 11:57 AM) View Post
Having read through lots of comments on the three left - Jesse, Samantha and Jodie - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that, if the part goes to Jodie, there's a possibility that in the scene where Bill Sykes is required to 'hit' Nancy the audience could dissolve into laughter as Jodie looks so spunky that the first thing she'd do is hit him back! Not sure she has that acting ability to appear to be afraid of him; the impression we're getting from the programme is that she's very 'up front' and 'in your face', not at all the sort of person who would be afraid of someone. Also, she has to match with Rowan Atkinson - will he look too small and insignificant beside her? (Especially if you've got seats in the gods.) What do others think?

I was devastated that Rachel went out but of course it's the popular vote that counts. In Dickens' novel Nancy is about 17 and a sort of 'older sister' to the boys so I'd like either Samantha or Jessie to win.

You'd be surprised the psycnological 'hold' a man can have over a woman, a woman of any size can be scared and intimidated by a man of any size, believe me!!

#35 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

What is wrong with Nancy hitting Bill back?

I could easily envisage a relationship where violence is at the heart of it - and that from time to time Bill got more than he bargained for.

Nancy could well have been able to stand up for herself - but not enough to walk away and make a new life.

#36 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 27 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post
What is wrong with Nancy hitting Bill back?

I could easily envisage a relationship where violence is at the heart of it - and that from time to time Bill got more than he bargained for.

Nancy could well have been able to stand up for herself - but not enough to walk away and make a new life.

HMMMM......maybe I should stop reading this thread?!!

#37 Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*

Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Aunty Margaret @ May 27 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
In Dickens' novel Nancy is about 17 and a sort of 'older sister' to the boys so I'd like either Samantha or Jessie to win.

I'm bored of all this talk about the Dickens novel. I'm sure in the book they didn't start belting out Food Glorious Food in the workhouse either but you can bet they're gonna be doing in the stage show!!

Rachel would have made a fantastic Nancy but if they'd given the part to another professional, like they did with Connie and Lee, then the public would've lost interest and there wouldn't be any more of these shows. Although I don't think that would be the worst thing!!

#38 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Peter_* @ May 27 2008, 12:07 PM) View Post
I'm bored of all this talk about the Dickens novel. I'm sure in the book they didn't start belting out Food Glorious Food in the workhouse either but you can bet they're gonna be doing in the stage show!!

Rachel would have made a fantastic Nancy but if they'd given the part to another professional, like they did with Connie and Lee, then the public would've lost interest and there wouldn't be any more of these shows. Although I don't think that would be the worst thing!!

Where does it say that she is 17? I did read it in German, I must admit, so perhaps the English version is different. In the German translation it doesn't say how old she is. I checked recently because I wondered if my memory was at fault.The only references to her age say that she was with Fagin from the age of 6 and that she has been in the same profession for 12 years, which in the context of the novel seems to mean she has been a prostitute for 12 years, or a barmaid. I worked out from this that she was around 20-24. She could still be an older sister figure at that age. In my family, for example, my Great Grandmother had an older brother who was married with two kids BEFORE she was even born.

I do think you are right about the professional thing. Logically, Rachel was a bit too old, but people looked older for their age in those days. Just look at old photos. Also, on stage, people can look various ages, depending on make up. I think the important thing is, can the person we vote for do the part and do it well. 6 months seems like a long time, but it isn't if you are learning a new skill virtually from what I believe the English call scratch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users