• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

Ok, so I really do apologise in advance to all the people who are going to say I'm biased and just making excuses. Maybe my reasons for why she didn't get all the votes isn't right (maybe she was always coming just out of danger every week), but there are two main reasons here on the island, that she didn't get the votes.

1) TT Practice Week - first practice was on at that time, VERY large amount of the IOM population watching it, not sat at home ready to dial (though IDA was playing on the big screens). I know our population size is small so it shouldn't matter that half were gone, but....HALF WERE GONE. We have a tiny population and we NEEDED people voting.

2) Of course, people will have gone to watch the TT, already finding out the number to vote for Sam, and been ringing up on the mobiles when voting started. Now here's horror.
TELECOM CRASHED
no word of a lie, taken from a rather reliable source (ie. the government, and telecom admitting themselves), the major phoneline for the island, crashed on the mobile phone lines only, not landline, and all those people out watching TT couldn't vote by mobile.

Ok, so, start roasting me. Claim I'm all 'conspiracy theorist' and just making these excuses based on nothing, but this is what I've been told, it makes sense, and it explains part of why she was suddenly at the bottom (especially with the critisicm Jessie got...)
"I Can Do Better Than That"

#2 pilgrim

pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ May 26 2008, 12:25 PM) View Post
Ok, so I really do apologise in advance to all the people who are going to say I'm biased and just making excuses.

So are you saying that the IOM population people vote for regional reasons rather than based on whom they think would make the best Nancy? That's not really intended as a criticism, but it does make even more of a nonsense of the show's idea than..... well, than the idea of the show itself! Please don't think that I'm anti-Sam per se, but I don't think that she did very well on the night...

#3 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(pilgrim @ May 26 2008, 12:40 PM) View Post
So are you saying that the IOM population people vote for regional reasons rather than based on whom they think would make the best Nancy? That's not really intended as a criticism, but it does make even more of a nonsense of the show's idea than..... well, than the idea of the show itself! Please don't think that I'm anti-Sam per se, but I don't think that she did very well on the night...

I would say that 60% of people who use forums (at least DS maybe) are insistent on political voting as the 100% reason that people are getting through. Hardly ever do reality shows come down to who was the best on the night, just who people's favourites are, whether that be because they are pretty, funny, or live near their home town.

So yeah, I think a lot of people, not just the Isle of Man, vote for their own. Though, I did vote for Rachel twice on Saturday night as well...
"I Can Do Better Than That"

#4 pilgrim

pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ May 26 2008, 12:44 PM) View Post
I would say that 60% of people who use forums (at least DS maybe) are insistent on political voting as the 100% reason that people are getting through. Hardly ever do reality shows come down to who was the best on the night, just who people's favourites are, whether that be because they are pretty, funny, or live near their home town.

So yeah, I think a lot of people, not just the Isle of Man, vote for their own. Though, I did vote for Rachel twice on Saturday night as well...

Yes, that's true. I just don't think it's excusable! But there - maybe it is the concept itself that's at fault. Obviously it makes for good tv - which is why we watch - but it stinks as a means of casting a show smile.gif

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

You forgot to mention that it could also be because her performance was bland and by far the weakest of the four.

#6 cara

cara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

on the performances this week.  Samantha should have been in the bottom two, no doubt about it, along with Jessie.  They were the weaker performances.

#7 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ May 26 2008, 12:44 PM) View Post
Hardly ever do reality shows come down to who was the best on the night, just who people's favourites are, whether that be because they are pretty, funny, or live near their home town.

I agree in general, but that doesn't solve the great Jessie mystery. ROI can't vote...so who's keeping her in the competition?! I know I come across very anti-Jessie, but I just cannot get my head round how she's still on the show when some of her performances have been as mediocre-to-bad as they were. The pretty thing stands, but we've seen minimal humour from her up till now, and her air punch and triumphant yelling when she got through last night were shocking.

#8 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(cara @ May 26 2008, 02:01 PM) View Post
on the performances this week. Samantha should have been in the bottom two, no doubt about it, along with Jessie. They were the weaker performances.

Firstly, anyone who has to rely on a caucus of partisan votes which are purely based on regional alliance rather than their performance ability ought to be worried at this stage in the competition!

Secondly, I can't believe that the IOM vote is big enough to make that much difference.

Thirdly, I think that most of the viewers vote based on performance/who they like. Otherwise, Ashley would have done better with the whole of Scotland behind her! Jessie can't be getting votes from Eire (only Northern Ireland can vote.)

If Sam came bottom in the voting it was because the majority of the viewers preferred other performances - and/or objected to the blatant favouritism shown towards Sam by ALW and the panel.

#9 Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(rona910 @ May 26 2008, 01:20 PM) View Post
I agree in general, but that doesn't solve the great Jessie mystery. ROI can't vote...so who's keeping her in the competition?! I know I come across very anti-Jessie, but I just cannot get my head round how she's still on the show when some of her performances have been as mediocre-to-bad as they were. The pretty thing stands, but we've seen minimal humour from her up till now, and her air punch and triumphant yelling when she got through last night were shocking.

I dont think it a mystery. Most people seem to be voting because they like the person or their singing rather then their ability to do the roll ,hence the difference between the Panel & the public.

Clearly from the ability to do the roll Rachel was the clear leader with Sam being the second best. Jodie & Jessie trailed along way behind

Yesterday ALW ended up with the worst possible scenario with both the best performers in the sing off. The only logic I can see for saving Sam over Rachel is that maybe she has been in general getting a bigger public vote

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

Next week's final will tell us whether any of that is true I guess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users