#21 richard

richard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

sad.gif
I quite agree about Timothy West as Menenius in Coriolanus.  I saw it after the Press Night and he was still struggling.

#22 Welthorpe

Welthorpe

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

As for the Swan debate - I think it is a great space, although the seats are uncomfortable. I've never really had a problem with the neck ache syndrome, but do concur that there is often - but not always - a lack of visual interest in the sets. I think part of the attraction is that is it small rather than anything else. I also like the Other Place which has almost no merits apart from its intimacy and productions work so well there. The Courtyard "feels" very different to me. I don't feel that sense of intimacy and the acoustics are nor fantastic either - there's a definite echo in there. I share the views about the RSC spaces all being the same. I rather like the RST main house - as long as you don't sit in the upper balcony of course. But there you go - at least the plans are an improvement on Noble's folly and there is no doubt that the backstage areas are cramped and dated now. Perhaps when that's the only stage set up in Stratford, designers will make more of an effort to make their marks on different productions.

Am looking forward to seeing Houston's performance though. I think he's a terrific actor.

#23 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

Every time Timothy West is in a play these days someone reports here that he can't remember his lines - amazed the RSC have employed him if this is true - is it some sort of charitable gesture ? An alternative approach was favoured by Richard Eyre when running NT - in his Diaries there is a shockingly heartless throwaway comment about the time Donald Sinden came to meet him (even I was shocked).

#24 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 15 2007, 12:45 PM) View Post
Every time Timothy West is in a play these days someone reports here that he can't remember his lines - amazed the RSC have employed him if this is true - is it some sort of charitable gesture ? An alternative approach was favoured by Richard Eyre when running NT - in his Diaries there is a shockingly heartless throwaway comment about the time Donald Sinden came to meet him (even I was shocked).

Wait - haven't seen Coriolanus, but Timothy West was excellent in A Number very recently with no apparent line problems.

#25 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Mar 16 2007, 01:13 AM) View Post
Wait - haven't seen Coriolanus, but Timothy West was excellent in A Number very recently with no apparent line problems.

Yes, but "A Number" is very short, isn't it?

//Jenny
http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Lot of lines though...just him and Sam. And not so long ago he was a very creditable King Lear with no line problems there either (when I saw it at least).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users